Cranfield

Adobe Flash Player

I am trying to install Adobe Flash Player (as its a requirement of BBC I Player), but it goes through the installation process, but does not install.

I get the Windows box asking if I will permit it to alter my hard drive (or something similar) and I clicked on Yes.

I see on Google that some anti Malware/Virus software automatically rejects Adobe Flash Player. Is it possible that Emsisoft is blocking it and if so how do I unblock it.

No Esmisoft notification boxes have appeared during the download.installation attempts.

progr

I don't think it IS a requirement of iPlayer these days.  I watch lots of content using Firefox - and although I do have Flash installed, it's disabled.   I'd expect most content to use HTML v5 and not need Flash.

I agree that sometimes BBC I Player does not request Adobe Flash Player, but occasionally a banner appears (with no logic) as it did tonight, when I tried to listen to The Archers.
As I did not appear to load Adobe (it was not shown in my programmes list/desktop/etc) I repatedly logged in to BBC I Player and it played the programme at the 4th or 5th attempt without the Adobe banner appearing.

I would mention the banner is obviously an official BBC one, not some Adobe pop-up.

Adobe is discontinuing Flash Player in 2020, and Adobe is (as far as I know) no longer promoting it.

You can try disabling the Behavior Blocker in Emsisoft Anti-Malware, and see if that helps. Here are the steps to do so:

1. Right-click on the little Emsisoft icon in the lower-right corner of the screen (to the left of the clock).
  2. Go to Protection status.
  3. Select Disable Behavior Blocker from the list.

When you're done trying to install Adobe Flash Player, you can turn the Behavior Blocker back on the same way.

Also, be sure you're downloading Adobe Flash Player from the following link, and make sure that none of the optional offers are selected before you download it:
https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Thank you for the response, the delay in responding is due to vacation.

I have tried to install Adobe Flash Player from the link, but I get to 89% download and it fails.

I am also getting Firefox (not responding) freezes when I try to go via Firefox, also when I try to download or view videos, whic Firefox is not playing/showing.
This has only been happening over the last few days.
Its probably a Firefox problem, but I will mention it just in case its something the Emsisoft experts know about.

I tried disabling Shockwave Flash in my Firefox AddOns and the PC is operating quite correctly now.

I have no idea what the significance is , or the reasoning behind this, but as all seems to be OK I am satisfied,
I appreciate the support from Emsisoft, as usual.

On 9/30/2018 at 11:56 AM, Cranfield said:

Here are the logs.

FRSTlog.rtf

FRSTaddition.rtf

Why are they RTF files? FRST automatically saves its logs as Text Documents.

I went ahead and converted them to Text Documents and replaced the attachments in your post in case I need to see them again, or in case Kevin needs to see them.

Anyway, since you're also asking for malware removal assistance, I recommend allowing Kevin to finish with that before we look at this Adobe Flash issue. It's possible that he may solve that issue for you as well, however if he doesn't then let me know and we can pick this up when you're done with him.

I have been advised that my Malware issue is a "false positive" and has been corrected. The latest scan is clear.

I am probably responsible for the "RTF" files, I couldn't find any saved files, so I cut and pasted the logs.
My tech ability is minus, on a scale of 1 to 10 . The fact I can turn the PC on amazes me.

You appear to be having issues with Firefox hanging as well. FRST only adds the last 10 Event Log errors to its log, and every one of them was a Firefox hang, so I wasn't able to see anything Adobe related from the Event Logs.

May I ask what browser you were trying to install Adobe Flash for? Firefox? Or another browser?

My main browser is Mozilla Firefox, I have Internet Explorer on my PC (came loaded) , but never use it.
Firefox was hanging every time I tried to download Adobe Flash, or tried to play anything needing a Flash Player.

What version of Firefox are you using?    Does Firefox behave if you start it in Firefox Safe Mode (which you can do by using FF's Help -> Troubleshooting Info -> Restart with Add-ons disabled.

Flash-wise, did you download Flash from the Adobe website (sensible) or somewhere else (a bad idea)?

I have Firefox 62.0.3 and I downloaded Flash Player from the Adobe weblink in GT500's post dated 18th September.

I initially reported this problem in tandem with the Trojan Alert, as they happened at exactly the same time.
Now that the Trojan Alert has been deemed a "false positive" and therefore not part of the problem, I have assumed this is more a Firefox problem than an Emsisoft one.
I will try to resolve any remaining issues with Firefox and thank the Emsisoft community for their assistance.
If there is anything in the posted logs that necessitates some action by me, I expect someone will let me know.

OK; in my experience Flash installers were never vey good at getting rid of the previous version first, so I always used to use Adobe's tool (which is revised every time they bring out a new version) to get rid completely of the old version you had installed.  You can download that by going to  https://forums.adobe.com/thread/928315   and - near the top, find the link to "download the ucrrent uninstaller".  Grab that, run it, and then retry your install.

I don't see anything clearly wrong with Firefox in the logs, so uninstalling Flash (while Firefox is not running) may resolve the problem.

Note that the Adobe Flash plugin Firefox is loading is dated September 17th, 2018. It's possible that you have an incomplete install of Flash, which is causing your problems.