xeon

Steam won't start after update

Re-imaged 3 times to make sure it is EAM.

After updating to 2018.9.0.8961 "Steam" ( C:\program files (x86)\steam\steam.exe)  will not start.

Windows 7x64 

Found a work around:

Have to add C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe to exclusion list (monitoring).

Seems to work.

I leave auto updates off for this reason, and back up before.

I thought taking away the firewall they would be more focused on EAM.

Going back to last version. Don't want Steam not monitored.😒

Same issue on Windows 7 64x, excluding the folder changes nothing. I have to disable protection to even start Steam. Dammit I'm pissed, I thought Steam somehow broke itself so I uninstalled and reinstalled, without backing up my games (don't have the drive space) and have lost over 500GB of games including carefully modded games with over 200 mods applied with specific load orders that I can't remember. How could you disrupt such a major program like this and when will there be a fix?

30 minutes ago, ahuman said:

Same issue on Windows 7 64x, excluding the folder changes nothing. I have to disable protection to even start Steam. Dammit I'm pissed, I thought Steam somehow broke itself so I uninstalled and reinstalled, without backing up my games (don't have the drive space) and have lost over 500GB of games including carefully modded games with over 200 mods applied with specific load orders that I can't remember. How could you disrupt such a major program like this and when will there be a fix?

Same thing here. Windows 7 x64, went and uninstalled Steam first.

Just to let everyone know, we are currently looking in to why this is happening. Excluding Steam.exe from monitoring (as xeon mentioned) is the correct workaround for now.

• Upvote 1

We believe we know what's causing this issue, and we are working on a fix. I'll let you know once there's a beta to try.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Barthez said:

I was forced to switch do Delayed branch because of this bug, @GT500 could you please update this thread when working solution is available?

How do I go to the delayed branch and is it less safe ?

I'm having the same issue with Steam, Win 7 x64.

But I wanted to add that along with Steam I also cannot check my controller settings unless Emsisoft is shutdown. The controller is an xbox 360 wired, and trying to open the Game Controller from Devices nothing happens unless I fully exit Emsisoft.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, max2 said:

How do I go to the delayed branch and is it less safe ?

Here's how to switch to the Delayed feed:

1. Open Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  2. Click on the little gear icon on the left side of the Emsisoft Anti-Malware window (roughly in the middle).
  3. Click on Updates in the menu at the top.
  4. On the left, in the Updates section, look for Update feed.
  5. Click on the box to the right of where it says Update feed, and select Delayed from the list.
  6. Right-click on the little Emsisoft icon in the lower-right corner of the screen (to the left of the clock).
  7. Select Update now from the list.

The build of EAM currently on the Delayed feed has an older version of our Emsisoft Protection Platform driver, however I am not personally aware of any current threats that bypass it.

Surf Protection in the build on the Delayed feed doesn't work with Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome like it does in the current stable version.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Exactly said:

But I wanted to add that along with Steam I also cannot check my controller settings unless Emsisoft is shutdown. The controller is an xbox 360 wired, and trying to open the Game Controller from Devices nothing happens unless I fully exit Emsisoft.

That's almost certainly caused by the same bug that's effecting Steam. Hopefully we'll have a beta available soon that resolves it.

We have a beta with a fix for this issue for those who would like to try it:
https://blog.emsisoft.com/en/32158/emsisoft-anti-malware-2018-9-1-beta/

Here's how to install the beta:

1. Open Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  2. Click on the little gear icon on the left side of the Emsisoft Anti-Malware window (roughly in the middle).
  3. Click on Updates in the menu at the top.
  4. On the left, in the Updates section, look for Update feed.
  5. Click on the box to the right of where it says Update feed, and select Beta from the list.
  6. Right-click on the little Emsisoft icon in the lower-right corner of the screen (to the left of the clock).
  7. Select Update now from the list.

If you had added exclusions for Steam, then please remove them after installing the beta, and let me know if you still have trouble with Steam.

Hi all,

the Beta seems to work.

i have update and removed the exclusion for "steam".
current Version is 2018.9.1.8968

please can you also inform us when we can change the update channel back to "stable"? -thx!

great work!

47 minutes ago, HIPS187 said:

the Beta seems to work.

i have update and removed the exclusion for "steam".
current Version is 2018.9.1.8968

please can you also inform us when we can change the update channel back to "stable"? -thx!

Awesome, thanks for letting us know. I'll try to remember to post here when the fix has been moved to the Stable update feed.

On 10/3/2018 at 11:26 PM, ahuman said:

I thought Steam somehow broke itself so I uninstalled and reinstalled, without backing up my games (don't have the drive space) and have lost over 500GB of games including carefully modded games with over 200 mods applied with specific load orders that I can't remember. How could you disrupt such a major program like this and when will there be a fix?

I also reinstalled Steam but I did it a little differently so as to save my mods and load order:

1. Renamed Steam folder to "Steam_Original" and deleted all of the Steam Client files in it but left my games and mods alone

2. Made a new (empty) folder in the same spot named "Steam"

3. Installed Steam into the new Steam folder

4. Moved the entire contents of the new Steam folder into Steam_Original. No games or mods were touched.

5. Deleted the new, now empty Steam folder

6. Renamed the Steam_Original folder back to Steam

Now, with a brand-new fresh installation of Steam and all of my old games and mods intact, I tried to start Steam. Of course, it failed because the problem never was Steam despite the goofy error log entries saying Steam was unable to open chrome.pak. However, all my games were and are intact, and as soon as I updated EAM I was able to launch Steam, re-enter my Bethesda-update-blocking settings and play on as though nothing had happened.

I would like to suggest that Emsisoft push out a notice as soon as a problem like this is identified in the future to prevent us users from needlessly uninstalling apps (and destroying local content, i.e. all our Steam games in this recent fiasco.) You already have the mechanism in place- it notifies me all the time of new articles and blog entries. Thanks.

I don't disagree that it might be useful if Emsisoft did use their notification mechanism more creatively... but there's a general principle in diagnosing faults on a computer, which is: what changed? 

If (in this case) Steam suddenly stops working, think about what may have just changed on your machine.   Have any Windows Updates been installed?   [I know that's hard to control on W10 but on earlier versions it's easier - and I've never had a XP/W7/W8 system that's been allowed to install updates automatically - it does it when I tell it to and thus I know when it happened.  With XP etc I also read the descriptions of every update before I installed it, so I knew which bits of the system were being changed.  Unfortunately (for W8.1 anyway) MS no longer publish a useful description of what's in each update.  I also, generally don't let updates install on the day they are released.  When MS screw-up an update they often take a day or two to realise and it's simpler not to be one of the people affected by that.]   Have any system-wide anti-virus or anti-malware applications just changed?  (etc).   When I reported here that I suddenly had a problem with Firefox clearing cookies, I'm sure nobody thought it could be an EAM problem, but EAM had just  changed at exactly that point whereas FF had not.  And... it /was/ an EAM problem.

Don't be in a hurry to uninstall anything, or reformat or reinstall Windows.   I have NEVER reformatted a system or reinstalled Windows - I've never had a problem that needed that.  Do a bit of research - if your problem really had been in Steam itself then you wouldn't have been alone - Steam forums would be full of people with similar issues.   The forums here weren't full of reported Steam problems, but they did see a surge in problems in general.         

Jeremy, I take your point, but your suggestion assumes that these decisions are taken in a vacuum- they are not. In my case, I had a Steam "debug.log" that contained a spammed (repeated several hundreds times with date stamps one second or less apart) error message that said "unable to load Steam\bin\chrome.pak." The location (in the Steam folder) and content of this message, together with the complete lack of any other error message, would lead any rational person to conclude that this is a Steam Client issue.

In case you don't play Steam games, I will tell you that users have no control over when (and with what content) the Steam Client updates itself- we can block game updates, but not Steam Client updates, and there is no description of the contents, or existence, of the update. More than that, I have always exercised full control over Windows Updates- Automatic is disabled and WU is set to just notify me when updates are available. The only Windows update I had done in the past 2 weeks was a Defender definitions update, so there was very little chance that a Windows Update caused the problem.

My EAM updates itself every time I boot, and sometimes several more times during a multi-hour Windows session. I allow it to do that because I trust EAM. So basically, what your post suggests is that I stop trusting EAM and begin blocking and managing EAM updates. Fine. Please advise where I can get timely EAM update content, and how I can make sure that I am virtually immediately protected against zero-day outbreaks of malware while at the same time obstructing and delaying EAM updates because I no longer trust Emsisoft per your instructions... Because, while they are quick to notify me of mundane, more-or-less boring blogs and webinars, Emsisoft does not use that same system to notify me of truly horrendously-important, time-critical EAM bugs that caused me (and presumably thousands of others) to waste hours and fruitless hours troubleshooting (and in some cases, to lose all their Steam games and mods- see above)  trying to debug a "Steam problem" that turns out to have been an unannounced EAM bug.

6 hours ago, HoggyDog said:

... users have no control over when (and with what content) the Steam Client updates itself- we can block game updates, but not Steam Client updates, and there is no description of the contents, or existence, of the update.

Steam asks for confirmation before installing updates, and displays a changelog.

It may not ask for confirmation when Steam is first started, when it runs its update check, however I think that's an anti-piracy measure.

21 hours ago, HoggyDog said:

I would like to suggest that Emsisoft push out a notice as soon as a problem like this is identified in the future ...

I think you'll find that most software developers/publishers will be hesitant to send notifications to all of their customers about bugs. It is very rare for an issue to effect a large percentage of users, and telling people about bugs that don't effect them isn't helpful, and causes a loss of trust on a scale that wouldn't even happen to shady companies that try to cover up the problems with their software.

In this case, not everyone with Steam, Battle.net, etc. were even effected. Many of our employees have these softwares installed, and I would believe that not a single one of us had these issues on our own computers.

Also, keep in mind that by the time we were certain that the 2018.9 update actually had an issue with Steam, it would have been too late to tell you before you started troubleshooting it on your own. Instead, we concentrate our efforts on debugging and fixing the issue ASAP, that way everyone can get a fix as quickly as possible.

• Upvote 1

> Jeremy, I take your point, but your suggestion assumes that these decisions are taken in a vacuum- they are not. In my case, I had a Steam "debug.log" that contained a spammed (repeated
> several hundreds times with date stamps one second or less apart) error message

That's not 'spam', that's a program that tried something several hundred times per second logging each failure.  It also suggests a lack of commonsense on the part of the Steam programmers
to let the thing keep trying something that was failing.

> that said "unable to load Steam\bin\chrome.pak." The location (in the Steam folder) and content of this message, together with the complete lack of any other error message, would lead
> any rational person to conclude that this is a Steam Client issue.

All I'm trying to say is that a hypothetical rational person needs to look for causes rather than effects.   And if reinstalling Steam (or anyting else that suddenly breaks) is disruptive, do some checking online first.     

>  In case you don't play Steam games, I will tell you that users have no control over when (and with what content) the Steam Client updates itself ...

I don't play Steam stuff, but I think GT500 does and he says different... 

> So basically, what your post suggests is that I stop trusting EAM and begin blocking and managing EAM updates...

No it doesn't say that; I wrote about taking care of which WU updates get installed, and when.   You won't find any anti-virus or anti-malware application that has multiple updates during the day that doesn't occasionally break something.   And, although it's clear you're angry, talking about "...a "Steam problem" that turns out to have been an unannounced EAM bug" is just silly - of course it was "unnanounced".  If Emsisoft had known of a bug as serious as that one they wouldn't have released code containing it.   Big software companies make mistakes too - look at MS with all of its resources, having had to withdraw the latest W10 update because some users are seeing files being deleted...  You don't suppose they deliberately did that, do you?

What you might do, if you don't want to take such a risk with EAM, is change to using the "delayed feed", where instead of using current & changing versions of EAM you choose to use an older version which is thought by Emsisoft to be more stable.   You can select that at  Settings -> Updates -> Update feed, and choose "Delayed".  

1 hour ago, JeremyNicoll said:

It also suggests a lack of commonsense on the part of the Steam programmers to let the thing keep trying something that was failing.

It probably means they never expected it to fail, so they never wrote a better way of handling it. It isn't always best to add tons of extra error handling when you aren't certain if it's necessary, as it can cause efficiency issues in the end software, and makes it needlessly complicated.

Well, Steam's standards have taken a big nosedive in recent years, so that wouldn't be a surprise. Keep in mind though that most publishers who distribute their games via Steam wants strong anti-piracy features, and Valve Software is more than likely collecting data primarily for that purpose.