JeremyNicoll

Unexpected interaction between EAM and Firefox?

Win 8.1 64bit,  Firefox v62.0.3 (64bit),  EAM 2018.9.0.8961    (and I'm on the Beta channel)

In the last week or two I've noticed a problem when I do   History -> Clear Recent History...    in Firefox,  which is something I'd normally do around once per day.    I'm wondering if there's an interaction between FF and EAM (since maybe a beta was released around the same time as this problem started)?

I normally have all the History data-type options ticked, and the time span set to 'Everything'.    Normally, with only a day or two's stuff to clear, the process is more or less instant.   But now, it takes maybe 40 seconds, and in that time Windows tells me that Firefox "isn't responding".   If I wait, the warning does go away and the window shuts, & Firefox is still running.

I don't use any extensions; my 'add-ons' are only the standard ones plus Flash (and that's set to 'Ask to Activate').

I experimented with the types of data that one can clear, trying to clear only one at a time, and found they all clear instantly, except Cookies.

I wondered if corruption of the cookies.sqlite file could cause this so tried shutting Firefox, deleting that file (from the Firefox 'user data' profile folder), restarting FF, visiting one website, then trying to clear cookies alone... and the hang still happens.

I've also tried in Firefox's Safe Mode (so extensions/add-ons are not loaded), and the hang still happens.    No messages are written to the Firefox Browser console.  

There's no clues in the Windows event logs either.    

I just tried the same thing and it worked fine - I probably haven't cleared my Firefox History for a few weeks, yet it only a few seconds to clear Everything for all data types, so maybe not an EAM issue ?

you're welcome - I forgot to mention that I'm running FF 62.0.3 64-bit under W10 rather than Win 8.1 so have a slightly different setup than you

I've done some more experimenting.  First, I usually have EAM debug-logging on, so I also tried with it off.   The very slow cookie clear is still slow, but maybe not quite as slow.

I've also tried with EAM off, and some cold reboots.   My conclusion is that this IS DEFINITELY EAM-related.

My Firefox's standard "home page" is a local file, so I can start FF without error with no internet connection.    I've done several cycles of deleting cookies.sqlite from my profile folder, starting FF (offline) and doing a cookie clear (instant), then shutting FF and again deleting the cookies.sqlite file (goodness knows why FF creates it nor what's in it at that point).   Starting FF when offline, briefly connecting the LAN cable, visiting https://support.emsisoft.com and logging in and immediately unplugging the LAN cable, then clearing cookies... it's always instant.

As soon as I restarted EAM, and tried the same tests, I go back to the hang happening.  I've explicitly timed that once, and it lasted 45 seconds (though maybe that comes from Windows' handling of a 'not responding' window - is there a timeout?).   

Does the beta we just released have any effect on this issue?
https://blog.emsisoft.com/en/32158/emsisoft-anti-malware-2018-9-1-beta/

For anyone who doesn't already know, here's how to install the beta:

1. Open Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  2. Click on the little gear icon on the left side of the Emsisoft Anti-Malware window (roughly in the middle).
  3. Click on Updates in the menu at the top.
  4. On the left, in the Updates section, look for Update feed.
  5. Click on the box to the right of where it says Update feed, and select Beta from the list.
  6. Right-click on the little Emsisoft icon in the lower-right corner of the screen (to the left of the clock).
  7. Select Update now from the list.

56 minutes ago, JeremyNicoll said:

Yes!  It's fixed it.

Awesome, thanks for letting us know.