exindust

EAM causing IE to crash or not load different websites.

Not sure what has changed in the past day or so but I'm getting some calls from clients who mainly use IE to browse with EAM on their system. So far EAM causes IE to crash on:

www.unionbank.com

www.msn.com

www.wellsfargo.com

I've tried adding a rule to prevent blocking of the domain, I've tried shutting down the Surf Protection, Behavior Blocker, and File Guard. The only thing that works is doing a full shut down of the EAM system then without EAM running IE works fine. Some clients need to use IE and/or prefer to use IE so I need to figure out how to fix this without dumping lots of clients off EAM.

Event viewer says IE has stopped interacting with the operating system.

Again... clearly EAM is the issue, I shut it down and the system behaves normally.

We are having the same issue. IE locks up as soon as you attempt access a secure site such as Union bank, Paylocity login, and a few others.

Turn off EAM and works great. Or if I use a different browser (FireFox or Chrome) it works fine.

Clearly EAM is the issue. This issue started a few days ago.

Doug

What version of Windows is this happening on?

Does it happen on all websites using secure (HTTPS) connections, or only sites that use EV (Extended Validation) certificates? You can test using the following URL if you need to (it's safe and uses a regular SSL certificate instead of an EV certificate):

https://www.gt500.org/

20 minutes ago, GT500 said:

What version of Windows is this happening on?

Does it happen on all websites using secure (HTTPS) connections, or only sites that use EV (Extended Validation) certificates? You can test using the following URL if you need to (it's safe and uses a regular SSL certificate instead of an EV certificate):

https://www.gt500.org/

Can confirm https://gt500.org/ does not lockup however msn.com does lock up on a second computer completely unrelated to the first computer (different location, different company, different person). Windows 7 Pro x64 on all computers with the IE locking or IE not displaying issues.

msn.com isn't using an EV certificate as far as I can tell, so I doubt that's the issue. I'll run this by QA, and see if we can reproduce it.

Did both computers that had this issue have the same version of Windows?

Also, is this issue happening in any other browsers that you know of? Another user reported issues in Firefox as well, however I can't reproduce the issue in Vivaldi 2.1 (based on Chromium 70) or in Firefox 62.0.3.

Just now, GT500 said:

msn.com isn't using an EV certificate as far as I can tell, so I doubt that's the issue. I'll run this by QA, and see if we can reproduce it.

Also, is this issue happening in any other browsers that you know of? Another user reported issues in Firefox as well, however I can't reproduce the issue in Vivaldi 2.1 (based on Chromium 70) or in Firefox 62.0.3.

All computers running Windows 7 x64 and I'm having users install chrome as a workaround for the time being but some websites don't work well in chrome based on industry so I would not consider that an acceptable workaround.

3 minutes ago, GT500 said:

Logged into a 3rd completely unrelated user and confirmed msn.com and unionbank.com both cause IE to lockup, not respond, and crash. User is also Windows 7 x64

I can confirm that I have about 50ish computers running windows 7 Pro, all installed with Emsisoft having the same exact issue. I had to switch all clients to Chrome. I am not having any issues with Windows 10.

Justin Farley

This issue should be fixed in the current beta:
https://blog.emsisoft.com/en/32158/emsisoft-anti-malware-2018-9-1-beta/

For those not using Emsisoft Enterprise Console, here's how to install the beta:

1. Open Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  2. Click on the little gear icon on the left side of the Emsisoft Anti-Malware window (roughly in the middle).
  3. Click on Updates in the menu at the top.
  4. On the left, in the Updates section, look for Update feed.
  5. Click on the box to the right of where it says Update feed, and select Beta from the list.
  6. Right-click on the little Emsisoft icon in the lower-right corner of the screen (to the left of the clock).
  7. Select Update now from the list.