jamjar

Gravatar redirect

Hi

When I logged into My Emsisoft Account I saw an unfamiliar avatar next to my name. I clicked on Change and was redirected to the sign-in page of a website called Gravatar, which I'd never heard of before. Shouldn't there be some warning to tell you that you're going to be redirected to a different website?

Gravatar is a well-known central source for avatar images.  I think I first started using it for my Sourceforge account.   

In this forum here, my choice was to use a Gravatar-supplied image... but to do so I had to configure the forum software with the correct login for the Gravatar site (which is not the same as my login for this forum).   Surely for 'My Emsisoft', there must be a similar choice?

7 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

Surely for 'My Emsisoft', there must be a similar choice?

I think it just uses a Gravatar API to check and see if a user with the same e-mail address exists. Many sites use Gravatar without needing you to link accounts or log in with your Gravatar account.

7 hours ago, jamjar said:

Hi

When I logged into My Emsisoft Account I saw an unfamiliar avatar next to my name. I clicked on Change and was redirected to the sign-in page of a website called Gravatar, which I'd never heard of before. Shouldn't there be some warning to tell you that you're going to be redirected to a different website?

Gravatar uses Wordpress.com accounts. If you ever registered for a Wordpress account and uploaded an avatar, then Gravatar more than likely is using it.

> I think it just uses a Gravatar API to check and see if a user with the same e-mail address exists.

I suppose that would work for people who use the same email address everywhere.    I use different addresses for every site I log in to (so, yes, that's hundreds of different addresses, but also no risk that if one address/password combination gets compromised that the combination is of any use anywhere else).

13 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

I use different addresses for every site I log in to (so, yes, that's hundreds of different addresses, but also no risk that if one address/password combination gets compromised that the combination is of any use anywhere else).

Definitely a bit on the paranoid side, however a little bit of paranoia isn't necessarily a bad thing. Would still be possible to compromise the accounts if someone were to gain access to your system though.

> Definitely a bit on the paranoid side ...

It didn't start off being a website login security thing, but instead a reaction to having previously had only one email address, which wasn't at a personal domain.  That started in the mid 1990s when spam was unheard of.   When I finally got my own domain and started migrating email use away from the first single-address solution, I was by then getting thousands of spams per day.  And I realised that the effort in changing email address for all my contacts was huge.  So I started handing out individual addresses for dealings with individuals (ie friends) but still used shared addresses for some other things.  As time has gone on and email addresses have got compromised, I've tended to replace shared-use ones with single use ones. 

Now if one address attracts spam I only have to change it and notify one person/place with the new address. 

> Would still be possible to compromise the accounts if someone were to gain access to your system though.

We all have that problem.