RC119

Blue screen when installing Emsisoft anti malware 2018.9.2.8988

Windows 7 64 bit Pro

Emsisoft anti malware 2018.9.2.8988

When I try to install Emsisoft anti malware version 2018.9.2.8988 it keeps trying to update and cpu usage stays 100 Percent and my laptop blue screens. The driver involved is eppwfp.sys.

The message is: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

Bugcheck: 0x0000003b

Parameter 1: 00000000`c0000005

Parameter 2: fffff880`0b10cfd

Parameter 3: fffff880`0a6ebdd0

Caused by address: eppwfp.sys+7fde

The Laptop is a Clevo p170sm

Please help me. Thank you.

I had a problem ONE time with same version. After I had downloaded the trial version, my computer just froze. No response to anything. Then I cold started it, and there has been no problems since. 

I had a a2service eating up cpu time up to 100% when installing a trial EAM 2018.9.2.898 on a W7x64. After a hard reboot of the VM (Hyper-V) EAM worked again without high CPU. I still have the impression that certain network related apps having issue with network connection (even with 2018.9.2.8988). Will need to investigate on a different VM.

Did Windows save a memory dump after the crash? It would usually be in the following location:

C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP

You can use something like 7-Zip to compress it, and then attached the compressed memory dump to a reply (only Emsisoft representatives can download them). After installing 7-Zip, simply right-click on a file, and when you hover your mouse over 7-Zip in the menu it will show you everything you can to with the file in 7-Zip. Just select Add to archive and save it somewhere easy to find (such as your Desktop).

The following screenshot shows the recommended archive format, compression level, and compression method when adding files to an archive using 7-Zip.

7-Zip_Archive_Settings.png
Download Image

I've been told that the driver appears to only be partially initializing on your system, however without a full/complete memory dump we won't be able to tell for certain. If you'd like to send us one, then here's how to configure Windows to save that type of memory dump:

1. Hold down the Windows key (the one with the Windows logo on it, usually between the Ctrl and Alt keys) and hold down the R key to open the Run dialog.
  2. Type in control system and click OK.
  3. On the left, click on Advanced system settings.
  4. In the Startup and Recovery section, click on the Settings button.
  5. Please ignore the System Startup and System Failure sections.
  6. In the Write debugging information section, please change the first option to Complete memory dump (it may say something like Small memory dump, Kernel memory dump, or Automatic memory dump).
  7. The Dump file field should say %SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP which means that it will save the dump as MEMORY.DMP in your Windows folder (usually C:\Windows). If it does not say %SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP then please change it so that it does.
  8. Make sure that Overwrite any existing file is selected.
  9. Click the OK button, and restart your computer to save the changes.

The next time this issue causes your computer to crash, Windows will save a new memory dump using these new settings. If you have uninstalled Emsisoft Anti-Malware, then you may use the following link to download and install the 64-bit version of Emsisoft Anti-Malware:
https://dl.emsisoft.com/EmsisoftAntiMalwareSetup64.msi

Note that the memory dump may exceed 2 GB in size even after compression with 7-Zip. You will almost certainly need to use a file sharing service to send us the file. Feel free to put a password on the file when compressing it with 7-Zip (you can send the password to me in a private message). I would believe that Mega allows files up to 2 GB without an account (and perhaps larger with a free account), and WeTransfer allows files up to 2 GB for free. If you need to enter an e-mail address when uploading the file, then enter support@emsisoft.com and leave a link to this topic in the message so that we know who's memory dump we are receiving.

Hello GT500, I'm afraid there is no "Complete Memory Dump" option available. There are only the "Small Memory Dump 256KB" and "Kernel Memory Dump" options available. My Page File is set to the size of my Ram which is 8GB.

Download the ZIP archive at the following link:
https://www.gt500.org/emsisoft/Configure_Memory_Dump_Windows_7_and_8.zip

Inside it are two registry exports. One that configures Windows for Complete memory dumps, and one that configures it for Kernel memory dumps (the latter is for returning to the default setting).

Simply open the ZIP archive, double-click on the file named Enable_Complete_Memory_Dump in the folder that opens, and make sure to say Yes when you're asked if you want to allow the Windows Registry Editor to make changes to your computer and when you're asked if you're sure you want to continue. Your computer will need to be restarted before the changes will take effect.

Note: Windows will require the pagefile to be capable of holding the entire contents of your system's RAM when it saves a complete memory dump. I recommend the pagefile be 1.2 to 1.5 times the size of your RAM in order to ensure that it can hold the entire memory dump. Here's how to change that:

1. Hold down the Windows key (the one with the Windows logo on it, usually between the Ctrl and Alt keys) and hold down the R key to open the Run dialog.
  2. Type in control system and click OK.
  3. On the left, click on Advanced system settings.
  4. Click the Settings button in the Performance section at the top.
  5. Switch to the Advanced tab.
  6. Click the Change button in the Virtual memory section.
  7. Turn off Automatically manage paging file size for all drives.
  8. Select your system drive from the list (usually C).
  9. Below the list, make sure it's set for Custom size.
  10. Enter an initial size and a maximum size in megabytes, then click the Set button when done.
  11. Click the OK buttons to close the dialogs.
  12. Restarts your computer.

To figure out how much RAM you have in megabytes (MB), simply multiply the amount of RAM in gigabytes (GB) by 1024. For instance:

• 1 GB = 1024 MB
  • 2 GB = 2048 MB
  • 4 GB = 4096 MB
  • etc...

9 hours ago, RC119 said:

I have sent you the password for the archive in a private message.

Received and replied. ;)

I've been told that this should be fixed in a beta. I wasn't told if that is the current beta, or if it's the beta we'll be releasing soon, however if you'd like to switch to the Beta update feed to see if it is fixed then here's how to do that:

1. Open Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  2. Click on the little gear icon on the left side of the Emsisoft Anti-Malware window (roughly in the middle).
  3. Click on Updates in the menu at the top.
  4. On the left, in the Updates section, look for Update feed.
  5. Click on the box to the right of where it says Update feed, and select Beta from the list.
  6. Right-click on the little Emsisoft icon in the lower-right corner of the screen (to the left of the clock).
  7. Select Update now from the list.

Hello GT500, I have installed Emsisoft Anti-Malware version 2018.10.0.9018 and the problem is still there, so I think it will be the beta you will be releasing soon that will contain the fix.

Hello GT500, I have installed Emsisoft Anti-Malware version 2018.10.1.9026 and everything is fixed. EAM installs and updates correctly. No blue screens.

Thank you very much for your help GT500.

Thank you all at Emsisoft very much your help.