ES-Ice

ES-AM 2018.9.2.8988 causing crash when printing - Win7Pro

I have spent so far more than a day trying to figure this issues out since first I thought it was the windows updates I had also just ran and never even considered the Anti-Malware. Tried re-install  updates/printers manual clean removal of all cache files and registry entries for printer only to finally catch the real culprit when testing my third machine and oldest.

So the main problem is that everything appears fine until I go to try and print anything to paper on my network printer. I can fax/scan and use print to pdf/xps just fine. As soon as the print job starts to get sent from windows spooler to the network all 3 of my machines now bomb and completely crash to a black screen. Not even making it to a BSOD. Also no log or dump from even regular monitoring tools can catch it and get it logged to a file before the crash. If I take the printer offline on print spooler it will wait all fine and dandy; a split second after allowing it to continue -> crash.

I finally found out it was the latest version of Emsisoft Anti-Malware causing the issue when I was at my patience limit and decided to also try my old laptop that sometimes stays offline for weeks and had not had any updates in a long time. So I decided to be careful about testing as each update from windows and other software was made. Low and behold at first everything was fine; until I let the Anti-Malware update to the latest version. Not 10 seconds after the program updated and restarted I tried to print and exactly the same thing happened -> crash to black screen not even a blue screen again. That is all 3 of my machines with different setups and software doing the same thing; in fact my old laptop hardly even has anything on it and I made sure after re-testing to disable the few other things even running in the background as well as un-needed services and it still did it repeatedly.

Please say you know what you changed in the code and will be planning on fixing soon. For now I am having to save up all my printing to print form a test-bed linux box.

OK for the question. It was causing a full (very quick) windows crash. System remains powered up as if it should be at a BSOD but no blue screen only black even after I set on verbose message logging etc.

Managed to get a little time to try something I must have been too tired to even think of until the next day. And at least for now have printing back.

What I did was just exclude spoolsv.exe and both my regular printer driver and postscript driver worked twice so far without a visible hitch.

Plan on trying with some process monitoring when I get more time at the end of the week just to see if there are still any odd access/buffer/etc. errors or delays that would not normally happen but for now at least only the print spooler is the only thing that could get hijacked to send stuff; and that is an unlikely target anyway.

Also it is a Brother MFC-7860DW. Windows 7 x64 Pro. Using the last software update that brother released for it in 2016. CAT6, Gb network except the printer.

Cheers

I wonder if an important process is crashing, and causing the symptoms you're seeing. Let's try getting a log from FRST, and see if it shows anything relevant. You can find instructions for downloading and running FRST at the following link:
https://helpdesk.emsisoft.com/en-us/article/274-running-a-scan-with-frst

Update: Finally got an hour to play with this again before the end of the evening. And luck be had there was a program update to 2018.10.0.9018. So tried it first. After it installed took the exclusion off and print went twice no problem. Went to my second of three systems. Tested before the update; still crashed; after the update no crash. Glad to have that safe feeling again. Complete system crashes are something I see rare and possibly never in a few years on my own systems. So whatever changes were part of what I noticed in the previous beta log must of also helped this.

Thanks for letting us know that the update solved the crashing problem. If you have any further trouble, then please let us know.