Sign in to follow this  
redwolfe_98

Program Update Caused Problems [Resolved]

after updating "antimalware", yesterday, which included some program-updates, i had problems with the program.. after the updating process finished, i clicked "yes, restart antimalware", but the program just froze and did not restart..

today, i started "antimalware" and tried to run the updater, but the program froze, again..

since "antimalware" would no longer function, i uninstalled it.. i haven't tried reinstalling it..

Hi redwolfe_98,

The recent update to v5.1.0.3 (free; stable; XP as in my sig,) went fine here

This morning after the system Startup the 1st manual update didn't go well.

It started and then was hanging forever.

I closed the Application. The attempt to manually update again after restarting EAM ended with an Error: “A major problem prevents Application to start...” and so on

I followed the recommendation and Rebooted PC.

After that all is working fine again.

I would say that the re-installation using the latest Setup 5.1.0.3 available is worth trying

My regards

p.s. Actually I reported previously that the first update after the system startup causing troubles (not consistently though) That's on XP. No such issues with full version on win 7 x64.

i tried reinstalling "antimalware" but i had similar problems with it.. after the install, when running the "wizard", when the program attempted to download updates, the program froze.. i was able to manually close the wizard's GUI, but the "a2service" process was hanging and i was not able to close it before rebooting my computer.. (the only way you can close "a2service" is to go into "services" and close it there)..

so, after rebooting, first, i noticed that my computer seemed slow to boot up, to load things in the "systray", that is.. naturally, i figured that there was a problem, relating to "antimalware".. the first thing i did, after rebooting, was to try to update my antivirus program, which is "antivir", but it was frozen, or so it seemed..

incidentally, when installing "antimalware", i selected "install free version with no realtime protection"..

so, then i tried to open "task manager", to test to see if my computer was completely frozen, but it wasn't..i was able to open "task manager".. with task manager open, i could see that "a2service" was "hanging"..

so, at this point, since "antimalware" was "hanging"/frozen, and causing my av program to freeze, i uninstalled it.. as far as i can tell, installing "antimalware", and then uninstalling it, didn't cause any permanent damage to my windows-installation.. after uninstalling "antimalware", everything seems to be back to normal..

it is surprising, to me, that others are not reporting problems with the program, after the recent updates.. i am assuming that i am not the only person on earth that had "antimalware" installed, and so i would expect the others who have it installed to be reporting the same problems..

Hi redwolfe_98,

1st, as you can see from my previous reply – you are not "the only person" with the similar issue.

There are several differences though:

1) Nothing else is freezing or hanging except EAM's update

2) I can update any security. See the image - Mamutu is updated when EAM is frozen & I am reading your message in the forum

eamupdateafterwarmreboo.th.png

Antivirus can be updated as well & working fine;

When EAM' Update was hanging I was receiving Alerts from Mamutu about changing rules for Firefox & Java due to recent updates of the said Software

3) The incidents in my case are taking place only (stressing) after Cold Reboots

4) Warm Reboot (Restart) always fixing the situation

eamupdateafterwarmreboo.th.png

5) Canceling doesn't work. I have to close the Application and Restart PC, otherwise next start of EAM will end with the Error message posted in my previous reply

6) As for the service, compare to you scenario, it cannot be Stopped here. That operation will always fail after a long time of attempts by the system and I'm getting the respective message. (repetition..., but restarting PC is the only workaround)

7) Afterwards EAM is functioning perfectly

My regards

lynx, in your first post, you made it sound like you had problems with the program, like i did, where the program essentially froze, after the updating process had finished, but that, after rebooting, you didn't have any more problems with it.. my case was not the same in that, after rebooting, when running the updater again, the program again froze..

now you are saying that you are experiencing the same thing, that, when you run the updater, the program freezes, but you are saying that after that, if you "restart" the computer, as opposed to a "cold reboot", then things seem to function OK..

it seems to me that you are confirming that there are problems with the program after the recent updates..

p.s. maybe the reason no one else has reported problems, after installing the "antimalware" updates, is because their computers are trashed, after installing the updates, preventing them from being able to post in the forum?

redwolfe_98,

It seems like we have similar issue, but as I pointed there are differences.

Most likely it relates to the service.

At the same time

- this issue on XP (only) was reported by me way before the recent upgrade to 5.1.0.3 (stable)

- No "trashing the system" to the degree that users (at least myself :) ) "cannot report" ever took place here & the stated workaround always works.

I can run anything without any problems and any visible ill effects whatsoever when the Update is hanging

My regards

well, lynx, apparently we are talking about two different things.. i am talking about problems that were introduced by the recent program-updates and you are talking about supposed problems that existed before the updates, which i did not experience..

you mention "workarounds", but i don't know what "workarounds" that you are talking about unless, again, you are referring to "workarounds" for some problem that some others were experiencing before the recent program-updates, which i did not experience..

i don't think there are any "workarounds" for the recent problematic program-updates other than uninstalling "antimalware"..

It is the same (similar) issue as far as I can see it

The workaround is as pointed - Close the application when the Update hanging and perform "warm reboot" - Restart

Then regarding you not being "the only person" please see this very fresh request

My regards

after reinstalling "antimalware", with the new program-updates, dated 12/11/2010, i am no longer experiencing problems with the program..

here is a link to emsisoft's "changelog" webpage that shows that some program-files were updated, dated 12/11/2010:

http://www.emsisoft.com/a2/changelog/personal//?showmalware=updates

Hi redwolfe_98,

I'm glad that you back in business

The changes were referred earlier here for the similar request by the user of the free edition

I performed 5 Cold Reboots since and now it's working perfectly

Cheers!

p.s. I will mark both cases as "Resolved"