MalcolmSm1th

Licence expiry no longer shown

This morning I received an email saying that I had 15 days left on my licence.   Then, a few hours later, another email saying that my licence was going to expire in seven days.

So I then looked into the Anti-Malware to see what it thought was going on and I can't find how many days are left remaining: it just tells me that there's an Active Subscription.

The question I have is: how can I see how many days are left on my account because at this rate I will have no days left by lunchtime.

Malc

In EAM, on the Overview screen, just under the four main panels (Protection, Scan & Clean, Logs, Settings) there should be a line of text saying when your licence will expire.  See what my screen looks like here (running the GUI in dark mode): https://www.dropbox.com/s/uk4ljik0t7j1v3y/20181201 EAM Overview.jpg?dl=0

I don't think I've ever seen a line saying "Active Subscription".

Well, neither have I until today.  I assumed that it was this Start of the Month It's a New Version thingy.

This is what mine now looks like.   Any ideas?

Malc

EmsisoftLicenceScreenshot.png

Wat happens when you click on 'View details'?    Or click on 'About' (at the bottom right) - do you reach a screen telling you more?

Also are you running on the Stable feed (or Beta or Delayed)?     I've got the Beta, which is 2018.11.0.9069, but I don't think that part's changed recently.

This is what I get when I go further:
EmsisoftLicenceScreenshot_02.png

I am running on the Stable version.   I don't have the time to do Beta for people any more -- or the patience which is more of a shame, really and certainly a failing of mine to be sure.

Malc

Where your more-detailed screen says "Status:   Active Subscription"      mine says "License expires in:     nnn days"  and to the right of that (between your 'Change License' and 'Obtain a new License' buttons, has another button "Renew License".    

I have a single machine licence, and I've not used the "My Emsisoft" thing to register it.    There's been some discussion here(*) of a new feature where Licenses get renewed automatically when their expiry date comes along.     I'm wondering if you've signed-up for (or, as the discussion highlighted, not opted-out of) this continuous payment process?

* See:
Second part of: https://support.emsisoft.com/topic/30107-renewal-pricing/     and: https://support.emsisoft.com/topic/30173-auto-renewal/

Thanks Jeremy

This is a bit, shall we say, "cheeky".   I had the number of days shown on my machine a week or so ago and now not now.

So even if I have been subscribed to 'auto renew' then I should still get some sort of indication of when this is going to run out.

Furthermore, the two emails from Emisoft saying, initially, that I had 15 days left then a few hours later saying that I had seven days left and no indication of what I really have because I am positive that the licence that I purchased on the 24th of September of this year should not be only seven or fifteen days remaining.

I don't like the way that the licence remaining indication has been removed and that a one year licence purchased a few months ago is about to expire and that it's got two different expiry dates.  Something here stinks.

I don't remember opting into anything which is a continuous renewal and I don't like that way that information is being hidden from me.

Thanks for your efforts they are much appreciated.
  Malc

19 minutes ago, marko said:

I was told by Emsisoft that this auto renewal option was only for new licences rather than renewals - link here https://support.emsisoft.com/topic/30107-renewal-pricing/?do=findComment&comment=188983

It looks as if this is not actually the case

I renewed one of my licences a few days ago.It now shows "Active subscription" as well

.I renewed through the gui.

Thanks for this.  At least I can now go back and now stop this auto renewal.

A few things spring to mind:

1. This opt-out auto-renewal is wrong.   It should be made a lot clearer that it's happening when one places the order and it should be opt-in
  2. The opt-out should be easier to find and it should be on the Emsisoft licence panel
  3. The date of expiry/renewal should never be hidden from the customer.
  4. The emails recieved should identify which computer's licence is expiring and the date of expiration should be accurate.

The last point is a concern to me because I have only two computers.  One's licence expires in about 280 days and so the email must refer to the other machine but getting two emails in one day: one saying it expires in seven days and the other saying fifteen isn't helpful.

The licence on my second machine runs out in about 390 days.

So what are these two emails about and will I be getting billed for extra licences that have been autorenewed and know nothing of?

This auto-renew issue need to be looked at because there's no clarity, just confusion.  Once upon a time there was a Licence Manager that I could look at but I can't see anything like this now.

Best wishes
  Malc

> Once upon a time there was a Licence Manager

That may be what "My Emsisoft" is all about, but I'm not certain.   That's at Settings -> Remote Management.

I agree that it's alarming that you're being emailed with warnings of licence expiry dates that seem to bear no relation to reality.

I also agree that the opt-in/out thing should be a great deal more visible.

You have a subscription, which automatically renews. EAM displays that its a subscription instead of the amount of days remaining on the license.

You should be able to see when the renewal will be billed if you log in to my.emsisoft.com.