m0unds

Issues w/activation window and product UI w/high res displays

Hi,

I installed EAM on a windows 10 machine with a 4k display, and both the product UI and license login are screwy. The product UI can be resized after logging in, but the login screen is cut off and non-resizable (and any error messages are the wrong DPI so are extremely small).

Here's an example:

2018-12-25.thumb.png.8f9735d57b8d76bb2d6a848e1574f734.png
Download Image

*EDIT*

product notifications are also borked:

broken.png.c03e34dd05237828bc78fabb7af03f11.png
Download Image

as is the uninstall dialog:

1162325475_2018-12-25(1).thumb.png.208ec25bec5ad5b6273a5b83fb1f0bc6.png
Download Image

Issues with notifications on high screen resolutions is already known. I'll ask QA if we already know about the others.

5 minutes ago, GT500 said:

Issues with notifications on high screen resolutions is already known. I'll ask QA if we already know about the others.

Thanks!

Most of these issues appear to be unknown at this time. Could you let us know what scaling setting you're using for your display? For instance, you can see in the following screenshot that mine is 100%:

image.png
Download Image

On 12/26/2018 at 2:07 PM, GT500 said:

OK, thank you. I'll let you know if we need any more information.

just in case these weren't known, all of the settings for every product component with a modal dialog (application rules, edit rules, import hosts, add new rule to surf protection, edit extensions for file guard, email notifications, update interval, proxy settings, export settings, set password, connect w enterprise console) are tiny as well.

I'm fairly certain that that's a known issue with all dialogs, however I will ask QA to be certain.

I am having exactly the same issues. Also have a 4K screen. I have already informed David from customer support regarding this. Do you have a time frame when this would be fixed as this has been going on for months now? Its been a very very long time since this has been like this, probably like 3 months. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/6/2019 at 11:04 AM, Siddharth said:

Do you have a time frame when this would be fixed as this has been going on for months now?

We don't generally have ETA's on fixes. In software development it is usually impossible to meet an ETA, so rather than disappoint everyone we prefer not to say when something may be done.

I know and understand that. But you know it has been months since this has been like this. My license expires in 49 days and I would like to renew it but if I am unable to use the product properly, I would have to think otherwise. 

Everything worked perfectly before. Is it not possible to get this fixed ASAP please?

Thank you.

Unfortunately I can't increase or decrease the priority of bug reports.

Have you tried changing the DPI to see if things work better at other settings? It may not be ideal, but it might at least make things usable.

On 1/14/2019 at 2:54 PM, Siddharth said:

I know and understand that. But you know it has been months since this has been like this. My license expires in 49 days and I would like to renew it but if I am unable to use the product properly, I would have to think otherwise. 

Everything worked perfectly before. Is it not possible to get this fixed ASAP please?

Thank you.

have you tried right clicking on the EAM UI application (a2start i think; don't have it installed on this machine) > clicking properties > compatibility tab > high DPI > change to system?

On 1/14/2019 at 4:59 PM, GT500 said:

Unfortunately I can't increase or decrease the priority of bug reports.

Have you tried changing the DPI to see if things work better at other settings? It may not be ideal, but it might at least make things usable.

the problem with this on a small (sub 22") 4k display is that it makes everything so small it's unusable. not a particularly suitable workaround, i'm sorry to say. overriding the dpi handling for the UI might help, though.

13 hours ago, m0unds said:

overriding the dpi handling for the UI might help, though.

Windows 10 does have more than one method it can use for scaling, so it's possible that one of the alternate methods might work better.

Tried changing the scaling settings. Still doesn't work. I am overly frustrated now. It has been months but I am sure you would have a defense for that. So, all good :)

Try changing the scaling settings for a2start in the Emsisoft Anti-Malware folder (usually C:\Program Files\Emsisoft Anti-Malware). Right-click on a file, select Properties, switch to the Compatibility tab, and click the Change high DPI settings (you may need to click the Change settings for all users button below that before you can change the DPI settings). The "High DPI scaling override" setting should be what you're looking for.

Note that changes to scaling settings will not take effect in EAM until you log out of Windows and log back in.

This is really getting a bit annoying. I uninstalled Emsisoft to give you guys some more time to fix this. 

I tried what you have told me to, it still does not work! Can you please help this? it is just annoying to use a piece of software when we cannot even read the instructions which are being displayed. 

Can you please now fix this after months ? 

Logging out and logging back in (or restarting Windows) after making changes doesn't help them take effect?

On 2/5/2019 at 7:35 AM, Siddharth said:

This is really getting a bit annoying. I uninstalled Emsisoft to give you guys some more time to fix this. 

I tried what you have told me to, it still does not work! Can you please help this? it is just annoying to use a piece of software when we cannot even read the instructions which are being displayed. 

Can you please now fix this after months ? 

a2start being set to "system" scaling should fix the primary product ui - if your issue is with the product alerts, change a2guard and commservice to "system" scaling as well, and the whole product will be scaled correctly for 4k display by windows. (i just had to do this for a customer of mine. please fix this as it makes folks selling your product, i.e. me, and others, look like an idiot when we have to hack away in order to make it display correctly on modern workstations)

11 hours ago, m0unds said:

commservice

That particular executable is used for communication with Emsisoft Enterprise Console (EEC), and won't even be running if your installation of Emsisoft Anti-Malware isn't connected to EEC. Only a2guard is responsible for drawing the notifications and System Tray/Notification Area icon.

I am able to make the scaling work by tweaking all these things. However, the issue still persists with the notifications that come on the right hand side such as when the product is being updated etc. 

2 hours ago, Siddharth said:

I am able to make the scaling work by tweaking all these things. However, the issue still persists with the notifications that come on the right hand side such as when the product is being updated etc. 

it looks like overriding the dpi settings for a2guard doesn't persist between reboots for whatever reason. i just reproduced that on my aforementioned customer's machine. the only one that sticks is a2start.

21 hours ago, m0unds said:

it looks like overriding the dpi settings for a2guard doesn't persist between reboots for whatever reason.

The settings also don't persist after program updates.

Unfortunately Microsoft didn't think that it might be necessary for these settings to persist after a file is overwritten by a newer version, so the settings don't necessarily persist long-term.

@GT500 Guess i spoke too soon. Something strange happened with the emsisoft updates. Today in the morning, after one of the updates, everything was fine including the notifications which come on the center right.

Now after the recent update it has gone back to have scaling issues :( What happened if I may ask?

On 2/9/2019 at 2:42 PM, Siddharth said:

@GT500 Guess i spoke too soon. Something strange happened with the emsisoft updates. Today in the morning, after one of the updates, everything was fine including the notifications which come on the center right.

Now after the recent update it has gone back to have scaling issues :( What happened if I may ask?

I don't see any program files in the update feed changelog (which currently goes back to the last couple of updates on February 4th). Normally that's the only reason why file properties would reset like that.

Can you check your logs in Emsisoft Anti-Malware, and search for "update" to see if there was an update downloaded for program files around the time this happened? You can double-click on an entry to see which files were updated, and program files would have names that end in something like .exe .dll .sys.

Are any of these issues resolved in the current beta?
https://blog.emsisoft.com/en/32780/emsisoft-anti-malware-2019-2/

Here's how to install the beta:

1. Open Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  2. Click on the little gear icon on the left side of the Emsisoft Anti-Malware window (roughly in the middle).
  3. Click on Updates in the menu at the top.
  4. On the left, in the Updates section, look for Update feed.
  5. Click on the box to the right of where it says Update feed, and select Beta from the list.
  6. Right-click on the little Emsisoft icon in the lower-right corner of the screen (to the left of the clock).
  7. Select Update now from the list.

Sort of better - activation window is usable now, post-beta notification window is still screwed up, as is the product window itself. The product window is too small, and either requires resizing or scrolling, and the notifications aren't resizeable and are cut off. Progress is progress, though. Uninstall dialogue is still borked, but I'm not sure whether that was part of the beta.

better.png
Download Image

uninstall.thumb.png.d666ca5be020d6b41c9f7ff350e8c861.png
Download Image