andrey

Emsisoft Browser Security

Ok, thanks!

So, the next version of EAM already suggests working with this extension! Do I need to install it now or is it more correct to wait for the release of EAM?

8 hours ago, andrey said:

Will there be increased web protection or only unnecessary duplication of EAM web protection?

The extension does provide additional protection. It is capable of blocking full URL's instead of just domains, so in the case of domains that are normally legitimate but contain a few malicious pages the extension can handle those instead of Surf Protection blocking the entire domain.

4 hours ago, andrey said:

Do I need to install it now or is it more correct to wait for the release of EAM?

You can install it whenever you want. It doesn't actually integrate with EAM in any way, so it will function just as well regardless of whether or not you have the 2018.12 beta installed.

• Like 1

To add to this conversation, how much of a difference will the extension make if one has a script blocker/ublock origin which should already stop sketchy pages. Will this extension work on top of those mentioned, or overlap and possibly cause issues ? Can the extension serve as a substitute for google's own malware service that's known to track the user, but that otherwise does a good job, albeit at the expense of privacy..

15 hours ago, Spoon said:

To add to this conversation, how much of a difference will the extension make if one has a script blocker/ublock origin which should already stop sketchy pages.

It's difficult to say for certain, however the DB for our extension is massive. That being said, the malware blacklists that uBlock Origin uses are huge lists of domains and subdomains known to host malware, so they suffer from some of the same limitations as the Surf Protection in EAM (they can't block specific pages without blocking an entire domain or subdomain). This allows Emsisoft Browser Security to be more effective, as not only can it handle checking the entire URL like uBlock Origin can, but its blacklists actually contain full malicious URL's to be blocked rather than just lists of domains/subdomains.

Will this extension work on top of those mentioned, or overlap and possibly cause issues ?

I haven't personally tested it with other extensions, however I have also not heard anyone report any issues using it alongside other extensions.

Can the extension serve as a substitute for google's own malware service that's known to track the user, but that otherwise does a good job, albeit at the expense of privacy..

Technically it should be capable of doing so, however we're not encouraging anyone to disable their browser's built-in malware and phishing protection.

Please allow me to use this thread to ask whether you intend to make this add on available for other browsers as well, like Opera?

Frankly, this browser doesn't get the attention it deserves, regretfully so.

I use it in Vivaldi (which like Opera is Chrome based)

Have you tried going to the Chrome Web Store, searching for Emsisoft Browser Security and then selecting add to Opera? 

Thank you very much.
I just started out using Opera and it looks really fine. Somewhere on some Android forum I read about Opera, give it a try and it is soo much better than the ad loaded Chrome. So now I am giving it a try on Windows 10 within VM (first want to see how it works out)

Anyway thanks for the above: obviously I wasn't aware that Chrome addons could be used.
(got a small warning, but it ended up fine though)

SnagIt-23012019 160307.png
Download Image

From version 15 onward, Opera has been based on Chromium just like Google Chrome. It should be capable of running most Chrome extensions.

The same applies to Vivaldi.

16 hours ago, stapp said:

Yes, it looks like Microsoft has finally approved it. The new Emsisoft Anti-Malware 2019.1.0.9188 beta has the ability to check to see if the extension is installed in Edge, and will display a notification if it isn't (unless the notification has already been turned off).

6 hours ago, GT500 said:

Yes, it looks like Microsoft has finally approved it. The new Emsisoft Anti-Malware 2019.1.0.9188 beta has the ability to check to see if the extension is installed in Edge, and will display a notification if it isn't (unless the notification has already been turned off).

With notification turned in in EAM setting I was offered the option to install it via clicking on the slide info.

(No need to have a Microsoft account to get this from the store in case anyone is wondering)

Installed and running :)

• Upvote 1