MarkD

Tue 2nd Jan EAM consuming high CPU

Hi

Today, my Windows 10 PC became very sluggish. I checked Task Manager and when it finally opened I saw that the CPU usage for the Emsisoft Protection Service and the Emsisoft Security Center were collectively using between 30% and 40%. I changed my file guard settings from Paranoid to Default and the program became completely unresponsive with CPU usage shooting up to 94%.

My PC is a custom built machine about 4 years old. 16GB RAM, SSD system drive, 3TB SATA secondary drive. Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 4001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s). 

At the time I had iTunes and Chrome (just a couple of tabs - Facebook, Soundcloud) running.

Any ideas, please?

Also, I was surprised to see a notification after the program update to install a Chrome add-on. Doesn't EAM do all this out of the box?

I've no idea about the high cpu issue.

Regarding the Firefox/Chrome extension, that's a new thing that Emsisoft have just released.  Out of the box EAM's "Surf Protection" works only at the domain level (ie IP address of a website's server) so will block everything at a particular domain.   The new extension allows blocking to occur at a finer level, of specific resources hosted at a particular domain.   Read more at eg: https://support.emsisoft.com/topic/30345-new-in-201812-safe-web-browsing-with-emsisoft-browser-security/

On 1/2/2019 at 4:22 PM, MarkD said:

Doesn't EAM do all this out of the box?

It doesn't install extensions without permission. It displays the notification to give you the option to install it if you want it. There's more information at the following link as well:
https://blog.emsisoft.com/en/32517/new-in-2018-12-safe-web-browsing-with-emsisoft-browser-security/

On 1/2/2019 at 4:22 PM, MarkD said:

Today, my Windows 10 PC became very sluggish. I checked Task Manager and when it finally opened I saw that the CPU usage for the Emsisoft Protection Service and the Emsisoft Security Center were collectively using between 30% and 40%. I changed my file guard settings from Paranoid to Default and the program became completely unresponsive with CPU usage shooting up to 94%.

Was it possible that a scheduled scan was running at the time you experienced this issue?

It's also possible that EAM was installing updates and running a Quarantine re-scan.

Hi, GT500 and JeremyNicoll. Thank you both for responding.

No, the update had finished and I don't have a scheduled scan set up. It occurred for an entire afternoon/evening even after restarts. The crash happened twice (before and after a restart). However, as is the way of these things the program has been working fine for the last two days.

Thanks also for the extra info about the browser extension.