Sign in to follow this  
brandonn2008

Conflict with Steam?

I tried to play Portal a few days ago, but got a "hl2.exe has stopped working" error. It happens for every Source based game. I've been trying to figure out what's wrong, and I've even contacted Steam's support. So far nothing has worked. I use Avast! 5 free, Online Armor Firewall Free, and Threatfire, so I've been turning some on and off to see if they are conflicting with Steam. I've narrowed it down to Online Armor Free Firewall, since the games run with Avast! and Threatfire enabled. I was wondering how I can modify OA to allow Steam to work without completely shutting it off. Thank you!

Can you please say what operating sytem you are using, also which build version of OA free.

Have you tried putting the Steam folder in OA exclusions?

• Upvote 1

Can you please say what operating sytem you are using, also which build version of OA free.

Have you tried putting the Steam folder in OA exclusions?

Windows 7 Professional x64. My firewall version is whatever the latest is. I will try putting the Steam folder in the exclusions.

Edit: Well I'll be damned; I added the Steam folder to the exclusions and now it runs fine. A week of trying to fix it and it was that simple. Thank you!

• Upvote 1