Thomas Schoessow

Emsisoft Browser Security: Please install Firefox...

This might be a good point to remind Emsisoft that (as found during the Beta phase) I still don't get any reminder that the the extension exists, when I start Firefox on my machine.

3 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

This might be a good point to remind Emsisoft that (as found during the Beta phase) I still don't get any reminder that the the extension exists, when I start Firefox on my machine.

Were they able to reproduce the issue? It worked fine on both of my win10 systems running FF stable (64)

4 hours ago, Thomas Schoessow said:

Hi, I would like to use the new browser extension on my Firefox Quantum 64.0 (64 bit). But the addon center notes " Please install Firefox"...

Did I do anything wrong?

Regards

Thomas

screen_firefox.jpg
Download Image
Download Image

Are you using any extensions/addons that change the user agent to spoof another browser?

@m0unds - Not as far as I know.  They did ask if I was using the portable version (I'm not).  And apart from Flash (rarely activated) I use no Add-ons or Extensions other than those that come supplied with Firefox.  I've got v64.0 on a 64-bit W8.1 machine, also Stable.    I commented here because EAM not recognising that I'm using FF without their extension, might be the same issue as Thomas has.

12 minutes ago, JeremyNicoll said:

@m0unds - Not as far as I know.  They did ask if I was using the portable version (I'm not).  And apart from Flash (rarely activated) I use no Add-ons or Extensions other than those that come supplied with Firefox.  I've got v64.0 on a 64-bit W8.1 machine, also Stable.    I commented here because EAM not recognising that I'm using FF without their extension, might be the same issue as Thomas has.

Ah, ok. One thing you might try, if you have FF set as your default browser, is to try setting something else (even IE) as default, rebooting, then reverting back to FF post-reboot, and seeing whether EAM detects that you're using it.

In Thomas' case, that's addons.firefox.com page not recognizing that he's running FF (which is why I was asking whether he's modifying his user agent or something).

I've just tried setting Google Chrome as the default, stopping & restarting it (and it still says it's the default, and also I do get the EAM reminder for Chrome), then rebooting.  If i double-click a .htm or .html file then it's still Firefox that starts, and yet as it starts it tells me it isn't the default and do I want to make it so?   Going back to a .htm[l] file, and looking at Open With and resetting the 'default' there too still doesn't stop FF from starting.  Weird! 

After all this, and setting FF back to the default (for all the good that's likely to do), I still don't get an EAM/FF warning.

vor 55 Minuten schrieb m0unds:

Were they able to reproduce the issue? It worked fine on both of my win10 systems running FF stable (64)

Are you using any extensions/addons that change the user agent to spoof another browser?

Good question -). I'm using 5 extensions, but nothing to spoof. Deactivated them all without any effect...

@JeremyNicoll

Have you also changed the 'associate a file type'  for .html in Settings?

Cannot remember exactly where it lives in Win 8 but probably at the bottom of the page where you set default programs.

15 minutes ago, JeremyNicoll said:

I've just tried setting Google Chrome as the default, stopping & restarting it (and it still says it's the default, and also I do get the EAM reminder for Chrome), then rebooting.  If i double-click a .htm or .html file then it's still Firefox that starts, and yet as it starts it tells me it isn't the default and do I want to make it so?   Going back to a .htm[l] file, and looking at Open With and resetting the 'default' there too still doesn't stop FF from starting.  Weird! 

After all this, and setting FF back to the default (for all the good that's likely to do), I still don't get an EAM/FF warning.

Oh well - figured maybe something was borked with default browser settings in Windows that may have confused EAM's detection of default browser/active browser

7 minutes ago, Thomas Schoessow said:

And I tried to install another addon, just to see if it works. And it did work...

What's the URL you're being directed to for installing the Emsisoft browser addon?

Seems, that I finally got it managed -). The way seems a bit weird, but at least I got it.

Went to the addons page and searched for the plugin. There it says "Install Firefox" and I clicked that. That next page said, "You are using the latest version". There is also a button "cleanup firefox". I did, and lost all settings, add-ons and so on.

After closing and re-opening the browser, it looked like a "virgin" one -). Went to the addons page and....a miracle...now It was possible to install the emsisoft plugin and all others (again). 

Thanks to anyone who tried to help.

Edited by Thomas Schoessow

Just now, Thomas Schoessow said:

Seems, that I finally got it managed -). The way seems a bit weird, but at least I got it.

Went to the addons page and searched for the plugin. There it says "Install Firefox" and I clicked that. That next page said, "You are using the latest version". There is also a button "cleanup firefox". I did, and lost all settings, add-ons and so on.

After closing and re-opening the browser, it looked like a "virgin" one -). Went to the addons page and....a miracle...now It was possible to install the emsisoft plugin and all others (again). 

awesome, glad you figured it out!

> Oh well - figured maybe something was borked with default browser settings in Windows that may have confused EAM's detection of default browser/active browser

EAM shouldn't need to look at that; surely all it needs to do is check (something) to see if the extension is installed, whenever FF starts.  It surely knows that FF is starting in the same way that it knows that any other program is starting.  I wonder though how it tells if the extension is in use - is it via hooks into FF, or examining FF's memory, or looking at the user's FF profile?

@stapp

- I don't normally use the Control Panel - Default Programs things, but instead Open With, to set initial options for which apps open which filetypes.  However I did just use the Control Panel - Default Programs  thing and look at all the filetypes that I might expect to be associated with FF (ie htm, html) and the http and https protocols, and they all are.    On the other hand if I approach the issue from the program side, Windows tells me that FF only has 5 of a possible 8 defaults set - but the ones that aren't are the FTP protocol, and filetypes xht (no m on that!) and xhtml.   If I actually wanted something other than FF to be a default I'd spend longer looking into why FF started when I thought Chrome would, but right now it's not worth the effort.

17 minutes ago, JeremyNicoll said:

> awesome, glad you figured it out!

Hardly, if the solution involves losing all one's FF settings.

considering it was an issue with the mozilla browser addons page that has nothing to do with emsisoft, i think it's completely within the realm of "figuring it out" when resetting the browser to factory remedies the problem preventing him from installing an addon. (i.e. the browser malfunctioned and resetting it fixed it) additionally, firefox sync saves your settings if you allow it to, and it's a zero-knowledge (e2e encrypted) service so there's no reason not to use it unless you hate convenience.

This sounds like it was more than likely a general Firefox issue, since it was the with the Mozilla Addon Center rather than with the Emsisoft Browser Security extension. Possibly a settings corruption during an update since resetting the settings resolved the issue, however its hard to say for certain.

Hey there,

This might not be the right place to post - sorry, first time on forum -, but I would like to ask what the main differences are between the new browser extension and the already integrated surf protection.

Does it provide protection on a newer level, or extra features? Also, are there any changes to how the extension handles anonymous date such as visited domains?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Best,

Dan

2 hours ago, threbb1 said:

Hey there,

This might not be the right place to post - sorry, first time on forum -, but I would like to ask what the main differences are between the new browser extension and the already integrated surf protection.

Does it provide protection on a newer level, or extra features? Also, are there any changes to how the extension handles anonymous date such as visited domains?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Best,

Dan

hey, here's the blog post about it: https://blog.emsisoft.com/en/32517/new-in-2018-12-safe-web-browsing-with-emsisoft-browser-security/

• Like 1

On 1/4/2019 at 12:59 PM, Thomas Schoessow said:

Is it possible that you had something installed that was changing the way Firefox identified itself (the "User Agent" it reports to websites it visits)? Or perhaps had you manually changed the User Agent at some point?
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1186828