krussell

Slow web page loading

On my desktop PC with wired LAN connection, web pages in IE and Firefox are taking up to a minute or more to load with OA running (page address resolves immediately, but the content does not appear for an extended period of time). If I turn OA off, the pages load immediately.

I have tried turning off Web Shield, but this made no difference.

I am using V 4.5.1.431

I also run MS Security Essentials, but have disabled the OA AV to avoid conflicts.

The problem disappears instantly if I disable OA and run MS firewall instead.

I also run the same version of OA on a wireless Netbook on the same home network, with MSSE and Web Shield on, and this has no problems (pages load immediately).

Can anyone advise what the cause of this problem might be, please?

Thanks

I have a similar problem with Firefox and IE being very, very slow to load. In some cases I've been getting messages "Cannot connect to server" for sites such as www.google. Turn off OA and the problem is fixed and pages load instantly. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem.

Hi Pnpe6,

Do you have IE and Firefox marked as Trusted ??

And same goes for the modules that they might use.

Anything blocked in Firewall rules, for these programs ??

What kind of realtime protection do you have running, besides OA ??

Martin

I have set up exclusions as described. This makes no difference. As described by the other poster above, if I turn off OA, the problem is fixed instantly.

My PC is also being crippled during start up and when waking from hibernation. Once I log in and the XP desktop loads, it takes 4 or 5 minutes before I can actually do anything. I have disabled all unnecessary startup services to find out what is causing this, and it appears to be OA again.

Hi Martin

Yes I have IE and Firefox marked as trusted.

I can't see any modules that they might use. Do you have any specific modules in mind?

Nothing blocked in the Firewall Rules.

I am using Nod32AV v4.2.64.12. I have turned Nod32 off so that it does not interfere with OA. I have the web connectivity problem if OA is turned on and Nod32 is turned off. No connectivity problem with OA and Nod32 turned off. No connectivity problem with Nod32 on and OA off.

OS is windows 7 32bit.

One thing that might have happened is that NOD has crippled your OA installation.

Have seen this many times. NOD is a lonely child that doesn't play nice with others.

A way of keeping NOD away, is to disable NOD during your OA installation and exclude the entire OA folder in NOD's setup - do this BEFORE first reboot required during the OA installation.

And if you are sure that your pc is clean, then do a Trust All installation with OA.

Should you decide to try my suggestion, then remember that you MUST reboot twice after having uninstalled OA to remove its drivers. (Since you will need to remove OA first, before you can do a new clean installation of it.)

Martin.

Same situation here. Slow internet connection (page load) after OA firewall installation. I tried to switch off only Web Shield and IMHO the internet response is better now so I assume there could be problem in Web Shield part of OAF.

Add: there hasn't been NOD on my computer (and never had been before), so the problem couldn't be there (in my case of course).

Same situation here. Slow internet connection (page load) after OA firewall installation. I tried to switch off only Web Shield and IMHO the internet response is better now so I assume there could be problem in Web Shield part of OAF.

Add: there hasn't been NOD on my computer (and never had been before), so the problem couldn't be there (in my case of course).

Are you running any other security programs in realtime? If so, do you have these programs excluded in OA and OA excluded in their exclusions list?

Are you running any other security programs in realtime? If so, do you have these programs excluded in OA and OA excluded in their exclusions list?

No, there isn't any other security program. Except Emsisoft AntiMalware. Could there be problem? Well, I try to look. Thanks.

I tried to exclude OAF in Emsisoft AM, loading of the pages seemed to be better, but not as if I'd switched it off. I'll try to look at it during today to find out if it's really better or if it is coincidence.

Could I gently suggest that everyone experiencing this problem opens a separate forum topic to ask for support, please? It appears that a number of people have a similar problem, but we all have different set ups, and no-one has responded to my original request for support since I posted on 11th December. If everyone posts separately on this it will highlight the problem, and perhaps encourage Emsisoft to respond.

Thanks

Hi catprincess,

Nice to meet you again ;) . I've used OA for 1 year and I care about what people say about OA, 'cause I like it very much. Frankly speaking, I've heard a lots of people complaining about the slow-down of web-loadind or browser-stuck that probably caused by OA. And I've also experienced such a browser-stuck problem when I use Opera with OA web-shield on. The problem description is like this: When I switch different tags on Opera, it will be stuck with a saying ( not responding). But when I disable web-shield of OA, the problem rarely stop by to visit me :P . So every time I install OA, the first thing I will do is to disable web-shield. And I use Sandboxie instead. So I just assume the problem do exist.

BTW - My setup is OA+Avira Personal+SBie upon OS: xp sp3, and I do the exclusion job quite well.

Best regards,

Tyler

Hi Tyler,

You're right that Opera and Web Shield don't appear to get along that well unfortunately :( However, I don't think this is relevant to the OP (krussel's) issue as he has stated that disabling Web Shield doesn't help (possibly he doesn't even use Opera, but I'm not sure :)).

No, I don't use Opera. I am also running OA on another machine, and I don't see the same behaviour on this machine (the second machine is showing that the two year licence I purchased in June 2010 is due to expire in 55 days, but that's a different OA problem which I don't want to deal with here...).

I have been in touch with support and have submitted a HijackThis log, as requested. No progress so far.

I've tried disabling all my start up processes, and this did not make any difference. The start up problem is inconvenient, but the slow web page loading and time outs are the issues that are really forcing me to disable OA.

Back again to ask for assistance with this problem, please. I never got a solution previously, and put up with the problem, but I am being forced to turn off OA again, because it is so bad it's like being back on dial up 10 years ago.

Several people here are reporting the same problem. Do Emsisoft not have any solution or offical response to this, please?

OK, thanks. I'm prepared to try that as a last resort, because despite buying a new subscription to OA recently, I have got to the point where I am going to drop it and use a different firewall.

Hi All,

I also seem to have the same problem (and have had it for ages, probably).

I have XP SP3, NOD 32 4.2 (recently upgraded from 4.0), OA Premium latest.

Problem manifests with all of IE8, FF(3&4), Chrome. All of them are marked as Trusted in OA.

Hardware is a Thinkpad T60 notebook with Core 2 Duo (2 core, 2.16 Ghz), home network is Ethernet to the router, Cable in one environment, ADSL2+ in another afterwards, so there are no speed issues with the uplink connection itself.

What I managed to find out is:

0. When the error happens (practically whenever there is internet traffic), oasrv.exe is shown with ~50% cpu usage (fully consumes a core on its own, sometimes a few percent less, almost never more than that single core). All other processes practically don't use the CPU at all, the other CPU core is idle (fortunately, as the machine would be totally unresponsive if OA grabbed the other core, too), which means that they are most likely waiting for oasrv.exe to finish whatever it is doing. This happens with very light internet usage, e.g. a single news portal being opened in Firefox can trigger it), too, and even in that case, loading that single page lasts dozens of seconds, each box in the portal (probably fetched with independent asynchronous requests from different sources) takes a second or two to load. Note, this is not the fault of the server, switching OA off, the entire page with all boxes always loads within 2-3 second. Firefox shows that at that time it is looking up this or that address, and it takes several seconds. Then it shows connected for about a second (actual response time for the request), and then it shows looking up message for a different address...

1. This has nothing to do with NOD32. It was happening continuously when NOD32 was disabled, too. OA directory and also the executables specfically are excluded from NOD32 checking. NOD32 executables Ekrn.exe, egui.exe, etc. were excluded from OA checking.

2. Disabling Web Shield definitely helps, but the error remains to a much smaller degree. Switching Firewall off as well makes the problem go away.

3. It possibly has something to do with DNS lookups or affect those as well, because

- the behaviour Firefox 4 shows suggests that it is spending most of the time in DNS lookups

- Chrome and FF very frequently reports cannot resolve web page errors, and also when I switched on debug logging I saw lots of logged ICMP destination unreachable errors trying to go to the DNS servers (and probably caught by OA because the rule is not allowed). Note that this cannot be a problem with the DNS service because it happened with 3 different environments (two home networks with different DNS, and also when manually setting the DNS server to be the router instead of the ISP configured via DHCP), and the problem disappeared when switching off Web Shield or Online Armor entirely.

All environments I tested in were behind a SOHO router (two different models in the two physical environment: Linksys WRT54GL / Thomson TG 585v7) .

Unfortunately logs seem to be deleted when I rebooted, or when I switched off firewall logging or because 2 days elapsed, but I can't find some of my earlier log files about the ICMP destination unreachable log messages.

I would really like this problem to go away, so please give further instructions on what information to collect to diagnose and fix this issue, but let's get this done, because it is ridiculous that a firewall software makes internet usage impossible if the firewall and web shield is switched on.

Thanks and best regards,

Robert Varga

Hi Robert,

Did you upgrade from a previous version of OA or was this a clean install? If it was an upgrade, it would be worth uninstalling and rebooting twice to ensure the drivers are properly removed and then installing the latest version again.

It was an upgrade, to be honest, I am not even sure if it was from 4.5... it may have been an earlier version...

I will try a reinstall.

Should I disable NOD32 while installing?

Thanks and best regards,

Robert

Should I disable NOD32 while installing?

Yes, you should.

Moreover, when I uninstall OA I always boot into Safe Mode, and uninstall from there.

Before reinstalling, it's best to reboot twice as suggested by Catprincess, because Windows takes two reboots to completely uninstall any drivers.

Regards,

N.

Just an FYI. I, too, had terrible internet speed and was about to create a new post yesterday when I read catprincess's advice above (http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/3041-slow-web-page-loading/page__view__findpost__p__25932. Like Robert Varga, I had upgraded without uninstalling the previous OA version. In addition to VERY slow browsing, my internet connection kept crashing, causing me to disable and re-enable my broadband ethernet adapter every 10-30 minutes. The only thing that helped was closing OA--which kind of defeats the purpose of a firewall....

However, after uninstalling and reinstalling OA and rebooting several times to complete the process, my page loading speed increased by a factor of more than 10 and I haven't lost my connection once! Thanks catprincess!

I wonder if this problem occurs frequently enough to create an FAQ or sticky thread suggesting a fresh install when these kinds of connectivity issues arise after OA is updated....

Follow-up on my 11 July post: my web browsing had begun to become noticeably slower (though still "fast enough") within a week of reinstalling OA. However, within the past week, page loading had become slow enough that some pages--including email--timed out, and my internet connection needed to be restarted every five minutes--or sooner. Turning off the firewall feature (not the web shield) helped for a couple of days--but then why have a firewall :huh: ! Yesterday, only disabling OA completely allowed me to use my internet connection.

That said, I spent an hour uninstalling and reinstall OA again, as I did in July. My internet connection is now back to normal speed and no crashes. What is now clear is that OA is not playing well with my PC or some software on it, and the problem is cumulative, getting worse slowly over time. Frankly, I don't have the time to spend the MANY hours it would take to figure out exactly what is going on (on top of all the time already spent). I will watch what happens to my connection over the next 4-8 weeks, but if my connection slows down/begins to break again, I'll reluctantly look for another firewall.

Has anyone else has experienced this problem weeks or months after doing a full reinstall of OA 5.0.0.1097, or is my situation unique?

Has anyone else has experienced this problem weeks or months after doing a full reinstall of OA 5.0.0.1097, or is my situation unique?

I have been for the better part of a few weeks of troubleshooting not only an increasing and persistent slow Web page loading, but slow Web everything (Thunderbird, Pop Peeper, FTP, app updates...) unique to my WinXP tower. Two other systems on this LAN as well as streaming media to my Smart TV have no speed issues whatsoever.

It finally boiled down to OA Premium 1557 and into 1616. I had been noticing the preponderance of these in the firewall log:

01/06/12 10:36:03 UDP -> 192.168.0.7:24944, (DNS server IP address):53, C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe(908/0)

Passed by rule: "UDP, --> svchost.exe, [53], +(*)"

01/06/12 10:36:07 ICMP -> Destination unreachable(Network unreachable error) 192.168.0.7 (DNS server IP address)

Blocked by ICMP rule

Allowing the ICMP rule merely changed the log entry from red to green...

01/06/12 10:49:26 ICMP -> Destination unreachable(Network unreachable error) 192.168.0.7 (DNS server IP address)

Passed by ICMP rule

When I first perceived the slowdown, the destination unreachable entries were few and far between whereas at this point in time they number in the dozens upon dozens. Site like CNN and DrudgeReport which will normally render in the blink of an eye now can take up to a minute and can often stall without completing. When using Pop Peeper to check my four email accounts, the process normally takes about five seconds; with this current OAP issue it's almost two minutes - again with dozens of unreachable entries.

I'm going to attempt an un-install and re-install of OAP 1616 later today or over the weekend. I am not looking forward to that tedious and all-too-often dysfunctional process.

I hope that will resolve the issue.

Deja vu...

Back yet again with the same old problems:

• Web page loading taking ages, or simply timing out with a DNS failure message.
  • OA sucking up most of my CPU usage, for no apparent reason.

The problem appears to have started after the latest update (currently running 5.5.0.1616). Web Shield is off, and I am not doing any logging.

I only have 17 days of my existing licence period left, and I won't be renewing this time, so I don't want to waste a lot of time on fixing OA yet again, but does anyone have any simple tips to try and improve the performance, please?

Deja vu...

Back yet again with the same old problems:

• Web page loading taking ages, or simply timing out with a DNS failure message.
  • OA sucking up most of my CPU usage, for no apparent reason.

The problem appears to have started after the latest update (currently running 5.5.0.1616). Web Shield is off, and I am not doing any logging.

I only have 17 days of my existing licence period left, and I won't be renewing this time, so I don't want to waste a lot of time on fixing OA yet again, but does anyone have any simple tips to try and improve the performance, please?

Do you have "Intercept loopback interface" ticked? (at Options->Firewall)

Would unticking this option help you with the issue?

We'll probably need some logs to see what the problem is. Open Online Armor, go to Options in the menu on the left, click the little check box to enable debug mode (just above the Run Safety Check Wizard, restart your computer, and then try browsing to a few websites (as long as you experience the slow-loading issue while logging is enabled it should be enough). After that, please ZIP your entire logs folder (normally C:\Program Files\Online Armor\Logs), upload it to RapidShare, and then copy and paste the link to download the file into a reply (or you can send it to me in a Private Message if you don't want the link posted publicly on the forums). Note that, if you don't have a utility such as 7-Zip, WinZip, or WinRar that you can ZIP files and folders by right-clicking on them, going to Send To, and clicking on Compressed (zipped) Folder.