Alan_S

'Export Settings' function overwrites an existing backup

I wanted to export the settings.  I didn't examine the folder suggesed by the tool very carefully, but saw it where I had exported previously so clicked the OK-button.

image.png.2689a773a509bb5dd3d76c48fbe6b98b.png
Download Image

Expecting the name to be today's date, I looked for the backup but couldn't find it. So, tried again and saw that the tool wasn't suggesting a unique folder name but an existing folder – not the latest even, but one from 2016: EAM_2016-11-28, which apparently got overwritten (see 'Date modified').

EAM_Settings_Dir.PNG.7c7000a83d85e72f2b071fc778e63ca0.PNG
Download Image

What I would expect is that the suggestion would be a new folder and I believe that this was what it did when I used it last. And if one already existed, that either a suffix would be added (e.g. EAM_yyyy-mm-dd-01) or that the user would be warned that he/she was about to overwrite it unless changed.

Now I know what happens I will be a bit more careful, but existing data should't get overwritten.   If I've done something wrong then please tell me!  And yes, it's high time for a cleanup...  

image.png
Download Image

As I understand it, it is supposed to select the folder that was used last. It doesn't auto fill folder names.

Thank you!  That explains it.  I suppose I must have “invented” the EAM_yyyy-mm-dd folder name myself and been a bit more vigilant in previous runs.

Regardless of the folder name that is selected, it would still be better if the file leafnames that EAM then writes to had a date/timestamp appended (or prefixed) to them and/or a warning was issued if they were going to overwrite previous files.

On 1/19/2019 at 8:38 AM, JeremyNicoll said:

Regardless of the folder name that is selected, it would still be better if the file leafnames that EAM then writes to had a date/timestamp appended (or prefixed) to them and/or a warning was issued if they were going to overwrite previous files.

It's best not to keep old configuration information from older versions of EAM, which is why EAM behaves the way it does.

If they were weeks apart that might make sense, but not if they're closer.  You don't know what combinations of different settings someone might be trying to go back and forth between.

23 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

You don't know what combinations of different settings someone might be trying to go back and forth between.

That's true, but there are also those who will want to overwrite existing exported settings, so we prefer not to make too many assumptions about how the feature should be used.

22 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

You could still require the user to confirm that they want to overwrite a pre-existing file, though.

I'll pass your suggestion on to QA.