Schicki

Emsisoft Commandline Scanner v. 2018.6.0.8734 files up to 2 GB

Hello all,
how to proceed the check with files up to 2GB? specially videofiles (mxf, mov, mp4, avi). do you make only a header check? or anything else? o
r nothing

I am not aware of any Anti-Virus scanner that will scan files that are gigabytes in size. I would believe the maximum file size that our scanning engine supports is 100 MB, however this has been revised a number of times over the years, and may have changed.

This always slightly worries me.  It suggests that a malicious executable could be packed as (in essence) a program which starts off with an instruction (or a handful, whatever's needed to make it legitimate loadable code) that says "jump forward a long way" followed by random junk, followed by the payload.   

Malware isn't generally distributed in large files like that. If it is, it generally needs to be extracted and then executed, at which point protection will catch it.

Hmm, does "isn't generally" mean never?    Is it not possible eg to craft a video file that will play something, but also contains executable code?

1 hour ago, JeremyNicoll said:

Is it not possible eg to craft a video file that will play something, but also contains executable code?

It would rely heavily on the media player. They don't all have the same vulnerabilities, and a significant number of people still use alternatives to Windows Media Player (iTunes, VLC Media Player, etc). In theory it's possible, however I am aware of no real-world examples of such an infection vector.

Large files are extremely inefficient ways to spread infections. Small files are much faster and easier to distribute, thus increasing your chances of infecting as many systems as possible before detection is updated.