your computer is not protected

Eddie

Earlier today I upgraded a tablet from Win 8 to Win 10 and once done wanted to install Emsisoft. The installation seemed to go fine, the program is running but I am getting errors from Windows notification centre that both AV are off and I seem to be unable to turn on Emsisoft. If I click the turn on button in windows securities, Emsisoft shows up with Your computer is not protected. When I click the fis now button either nothing happens or it goes into the same page that comes up when I click the "no protection box" on the left.  Here both behavioural blocker as well as file guard are off and resist any changes. What should I do?

I don't know the answer, but it might help others if you tell us exactly what version of Win 10 is now installed.    

Also, how did you do the Win 8 -> 10 upgrade?   What anti-virus/malware application was installed on the Win 8 system?     Did any of that survive the W8->10 upgrade?   

Jeremy, thank you.  I upgraded the tablet ( which had been stored away and not used for a while) from V 8 to now 10 Home Version 1809, OS Build 17763.316. I used the MS download tool and chose the upgrade option. The only AV on the system prior to me installing emsisoft was the default MS option. I think nowadays it's called Windows Security/ Windows Defender. As for Emsisoft, it is installed, I can run scans manually but it seems prevented from running as the first line of defence.  At the moment I am relying on Windows Defender to catch any nasties.

Let's try getting a diagnostic log. The instructions and download are available at the following link:
https://help.emsisoft.com/en/1735/how-do-i-use-the-emsisoft-diagnostic-tool/

It might also be useful to have logs from FRST. You can find instructions for downloading and running FRST at the following link:
https://help.emsisoft.com/en/1738/how-do-i-run-a-scan-with-frst/

Note: When FRST checks the Windows Firewall settings, Emsisoft Anti-Malware's Behavior Blocker will quarantine it automatically. This can be avoided by clicking "Wait, I think this is safe" in the notification that is displayed while FRST is scanning.