H_D

Trust a program?

Hi

I use Windows Live Messenger and the Windows Live Communications Platform regularly connects to the Internet.

OA displays an alert and I click to Allow and to Trust the program. Another alert is immediately displayed - showing the same program. This happens every time I use the computer.

How can I configure OA so that it does not display an alert? I thought that to trust a program meant to allow it to connect to the Internet without generating an alert.

I've now added the program files\windows live folder to the exclusions list - but is this the correct way to do it?

What does it mean when you 'trust' a program?

Thanks

• Upvote 1

Your signature says that you have Program Guard disabled. Is that incorrect? With Program Guard disabled, you shouldn't get any alerts about programs wanting to run, only alerts about programs wanting internet access.

I thought that to trust a program meant to allow it to connect to the Internet without generating an alert.

If under Options-> Firewall, you have "Automatically allow trusted programs to access the internet" ticked and (if you are using Advanced mode, "Autoconfigure trusted programs" ticked also) then you shouldn't get alerts for trusted programs wanting internet access.

Thanks for responding, catprincess.

Sorry - I was not clear enough. The alerts are for Internet access. The alert shows the path to the program and the bottom check-box is labelled 'Trust this program'.

I'll check the settings when I next have access to my machine.

Cheers!

Sorry - I was not clear enough. The alerts are for Internet access. The alert shows the path to the program and the bottom check-box is labelled 'Trust this program'.

I'll check the settings when I next have access to my machine.

No worries :) I understand what you are seeing now and I don't believe it's related to the settings I referred to earlier now (although they also both should be ticked for things to work as you want them to). If I disable Program Guard (then delete the entry in Programs for Firefox), delete all firewall rules for Firefox and then load Firefox, despite having both "Automatically allow trusted programs to access the internet" and "Autoconfigure trusted programs" ticked, I will get popups for every port that is added. I would expect one initial alert asking to Trust the program but choosing to Trust the program on this initial alert doesn't prevent subsequent alerts.

I'm unsure if this is a bug or not at this stage. It's certainly undesirable behaviour but given that Trust status is tied in with Program Guard, this may be why trusting doesn't do anything. One thing you might try is to see if you can locate these two programs in the Program's list. If you can't see them, temporarily enable Program Guard and then run them to allow them to be added to the list. Make sure they are Trusted there and then disable Program Guard again and see if the Firewall component is able to remember that they are Trusted. This is only an idea based on the behaviour I've seen when checking this, so it may not work for you but might be worth a try :)

Thanks, folks.

Allow trusted programs to access the Internet/Autoconfigure trusted programs are both checked.

Now that I've excluded the program path I'm not getting any more alerts.

I think you are right, catprincess, about the alert being displayed for each port. It would be great if you could choose to allow programs that you authorise to connect to the Internet to connect to 'friendly ports'.

I have excluded the program from monitoring not because I truly trust it but because I was frustrated with the repetition. Considering there are >65,000 ports, I reckon I could have been acknowledging those alerts for some time...

Anyway, the hassle is alleviated. Perhaps some advanced/advanced config options could be made available in the next release?

Cheers and trusted beers :)

Hey H_D, have you tried turning off Intercept Loopback interface (options/firewall) without excluding the program?

This option has always been unchecked.

Thanks for the response.