jamjar

Start on Windows startup

I've just noticed in Advanced Settings that Start on Windows startup is unchecked. 

Everything seems OK otherwise.

Latest version is installed on Windows 7 Professional.

Thanks for your reply.

Although it’s unchecked, the main ui screen and taskbar icon are green. So what difference does it make if it’s checked? With it unchecked is my PC being protected?

The point of the existing threads is that it looks as if EAM currently ignores the setting and starts anyway.    If you look in task manager, you should see that three 'a2' programs are running, and if they are, EAM is functioning properly (as far as we know).  These are:

a2guard.exe      - draws systray icon; displays alerts & notifications in a user's session

a2start.exe        - GUI that allows interaction with EIS and changing settings; this is pre-loaded into memory on startup to increase performance

a2service.exe   - the main service that does all of the work in the background  

Hi

I can see a2guard.exe and a2start.exe in Processes. A2AntiMalware is running in Services, not a2service.exe. 

It's the same thing - "a2antimalware" is the person-readable name of the service but "a2service.exe" is the name of the actual program.  You'll maybe see that if you look in the "Processes" or "Details" tab, if your version of TM has them, or if you turn on the appropriate display column...   There's different things visible in different places in different versions of Task Manager... and I use something else ('Process Hacker') instead anyway.

On 2/23/2019 at 10:43 AM, jamjar said:

A2AntiMalware is running in Services, not a2service.exe. 

You may need to click a button somewhere in the Task Manager to show processes from all users. a2service.exe runs as the SYSTEM user, and thus doesn't show in the Task Manager unless it runs with admin rights. Third-party tools like Process Hacker and the Microsoft Sysinternals Process Explorer should show it even if they don't have admin rights.

Thanks Jeremy and GT500 for your replies.

a2service.exe does show under all users.

So I'll leave the Start on Windows startup unchecked and an eventual fix will check it.

22 hours ago, jamjar said:

So I'll leave the Start on Windows startup unchecked and an eventual fix will check it.

Have you tried the current beta version? There are a number of unspecified fixed in it, although I haven't been told specifically if this is one of them or not:
https://blog.emsisoft.com/en/32780/emsisoft-anti-malware-2019-2/

What happens if you try to enable the option to start with Windows, and then restart the computer? Does it stay enabled?

When I first posted this issue I got the impression it was a bug in the program that needed fixing. I was told the issue had already been raised on the forum.

I would think that other users are also affected but not aware of it. I wasn’t until I noticed by chance the change in Advanced Settings as the program didn’t appear to be behaving differently. I checked on my wife’s computer and the option had also become unchecked.

So in its current version is the program doing anything differently whether the option is checked or not?

The issue was simply that the option appeared unchecked (turned off), but in fact was still turned on.

18 hours ago, jamjar said:

So in its current version is the program doing anything differently whether the option is checked or not?

The behavior should now be as expected. When the option is checked, protection will start when Windows starts. When the option is unchecked, protection will remain off when Windows starts.

You say the behaviour should now be as expected. Not wishing to labour the point, that suggests that if the option remained unchecked, protection would have disabled when the fix was made. If that’s so and if a user is unaware the option had become unchecked, their PC protection would be affected.