JeremyNicoll

Window focus is changing after dismissing notification pane

Win 8.1 64 bit,   EAM 2019.2.0.9269

Every time (or maybe almost every time, I'm not sure) I click on the  X  in the top righthand corner of the notification pane, the window to which 'focus' is 'restored' is not the window that I was actually last working on, but (I think) the one before that.  This has never before been a problem, but seems to have started happening in the last two or three days.

I've been paying more attention to what happens.  I think the code is remembering what window is active at the instant that the notification pane slides on to the screen.  But if the user then does other things before clicking the pane's dismiss button, focus is restored to the remembered window, not the one in use just before the dismiss.

I've replicated this by, for example, using Firefox to read webmail and when the notify pane arrives, opening a text editor window, then dismissing the pane.  Instead of focus returning to the text editor (which at that point is the window dominating the screen), the underlying Firefox window is brought to the front.

I had my browser open, EAM update slide appeared, I opened notepad which is pinned to my taskbar, and dismissed EAM update slide.

Notepad was minimised back to the taskbar leaving the browser.

EAM build 9269 on Windows 10.

6 hours ago, Frank H said:

fyi: Issue has been fixed in EAM 2019.3 beta

sorry to disappoint you Frank, but not for me it isn't (WIndows 10 64 with EAM 2019.3.0.9337 beta)

I just had three application windows open - firefox, then windows explorer on top of that, and Notepad on top of that with the focus - I didn't touch my machine for a while and EAM updated - when the EAM notification slider disappeared, Notepad was minimised and Windows Explorer had the focus instead.

I've had this problem for months, hoping it would get resolved. Win7 Pro x64. After the notification disappears, a random window (not necessarily the last focus) will come forward.

2 hours ago, T-RHex said:

I've had this problem for months, hoping it would get resolved

yes, me too.  It's a real pain, especially if you're watching/monitoring a particular web page that's updating in real time.

Hopefully someone from Emsisoft will provide an update on this now that you've bumped the thread.

Thanks for your feedback guys, we will have a look and try to get this improved.

Disabling update notification is a simple workaround for now.

Awesome, thanks Frank. I kind of put up with it because I figured it probably only happens on soon-to-be-unsupported Win7 -- with the Windows Classic theme -- so probably is low priority for Emsisoft. Good idea on update notifications: I keep them on mostly out of habit (though that leads to a different issue on my Win10 tablet but that's a story for another thread).

Hi,

yes, its kinda low prio, but it also is kinda annoying behavior, that's why we try to get this improved.

Are you sure and could you confirm that it only happens for you with Windows Classic theme ? This is important information, as it helps us to find the culprit.

Additionally, we have no plans/ETA yet to stop support for Win7.

Have a great weekend.

Hi Frank. (Apologies for taking this long to get back.) I've confirmed it is *not* due to the Classic theme as it also happens under an Aero theme. It seems to bring forward the 2nd-last focus window instead of the window which last had focus (and it happens when the notification window auto-closes, not when I manually close it). Thanks again.

> ... and it happens when the notification window auto-closes, not when I manually close it

That's interesting.  When I had this problem ages ago, I was always manually closing notifications, and I still do.  I have them all set to display for the maximum time (999 seconds) so very very few of them will automatically close - perhaps only if I've been away from the pc for ages.  And then I'd have forgotten precisely what I'd been doing.

my EAM detection signature updates notification is set to 5 seconds and whenever it updates, the window focus changes to some random open window when the notification dismisses itself

it happens every time without fail

I'm running EAM 2019.6.0.9533 on windows 10 1903