mavenusa

EEK a2cmd different scan behaviour

I run a2cmd with the following two scans:

1) a2cmd.exe /rk /m /t /pup /a /ntfs /log=c:\scans\scan.log 

2) a2cmd.exe /log=c:\scans\scan.log 

Both scans do not find any malware.  I ran malwarebytes and it found 2 malware hits on this path

C:\Users\xxxxxxxxxx\Documents\90611CF802D9CAA9AEE9742D8683F1B3508D58641B35E07074D8A24CB7327783

I did not delete or quarantine the malware. I then run a2cmd with the following flags:

a2cmd.exe /f=C:\Users\xxxxxxxxxx\Documents /log=c:\scans\scan.log

The great news is that a2cmd found (5) pieces of malware including the (2) malware hits found by malwarebytes.  The questions are:

1) why doesn't  a2cmd find the malware with my first two scans

2) is a regular a2cmd scan by default bypassing C:\users  profiles path

3) what options do I need to specify without hardcoding the C:\Users profile path in the command line parms so that a2cmd will by default scan the C:\Users path and ALL other directory paths when I run a a2cmd scan?

4) what other directory paths besides C:\Users is a2cmd bypassing by default or not scanning and why?

Thank you in advance.

You need to specify either a type of scan (a2cmd.exe /malware or a2cmd.exe /deep) or specify a path to be scanned (such as C:\). With the commands you used, A2CMD won't scan the majority of the files on the drive.

• Like 1