JeremyNicoll

Off topic - something odd has happened to a subforum

If I click on the forum title "Feedback, comments, and suggestions", my browser (I've tried both Firefox and Chrome) pops up a dialog asking me what application I want to use to deal with it.  This is not normal for what appears to be a standard URL:  https://support.emsisoft.com/forum/85-feedback-comments-and-suggestions/

Has someone penetrated your web server?

No Jeremy all is well with the forum  :)

I believe it's a new type of email based feedback they are trialling.

If you don't have any application linked to the "mailto:" protocol, it will ask you which of your installed mail clients you wish to use. It's expected behaviour. We decided to remove the forum and move all feedback to an email group instead that can be read by everyone at Emsisoft.

Why does the link URL look like a normal   https://   one but not act like it?     Is there a redirect in the page's headers?

When,  logged-in to the forum, I look at the list of subforums, I see  eg "(22 visits to this link)" after the no-longer-a-subforum thing's name.   Is this counter going to be present all the time?

Presumably ordinary users can't read what other people post into that not-a-forum?

Regarding  "mailto://",  I use webmail at the moment.   If I wanted to send feedback that way - or maybe if someone else who uses webmail wants to - what are they supposed to do?

1 hour ago, JeremyNicoll said:

Why does the link URL look like a normal   https://   one but not act like it?     Is there a redirect in the page's headers?

It's just the way the forum software works. And yes, it will do a redirect.

When,  logged-in to the forum, I look at the list of subforums, I see  eg "(22 visits to this link)" after the no-longer-a-subforum thing's name.   Is this counter going to be present all the time?

Yeah. Just shows how many people clicked it. 

Presumably ordinary users can't read what other people post into that not-a-forum?

It's email. So no. 

Regarding  "mailto://",  I use webmail at the moment.   If I wanted to send feedback that way - or maybe if someone else who uses webmail wants to - what are they supposed to do?

Send it manually to [email protected] :)

I think the original question has been clearly answered and makes sense too.

Still, a worth while question so this thread has served it's purpose well.