Sign in to follow this  
JarJar

Installer blocked

Hi,

running again the installer for one of my programs which worked flawlessly two month ago wiht EAM installed now if fails because the registration of the entry in the unistall section of the registry is blocked.

I tried running the program with admin privileges but during installation the installer runs another process which EAM detect as suspicious and asks me the consent to let it run. I tried to add the installer

to the exclusion list but again failed. I also tried to disable temporarily the protection to no avail. What can  I do ?

Attached is the messagebox with the error from the installer. Regards

screenshot.90.jpg
Download Image

Hi,

Protection Status -> Disable All.

In the meantime I uploaded the installer to VirusTotal and it passed all checks.

Now I've shutdown EAM completely but the problem still remains. So I think it is not EAM related.

I'm using WIN10 64bit. Any suggestions what to look for ? Thanks

Look in Windows taskmanager to see if you can see any EAM items.

If you do you will have to start up EAM again, open it and  go to Settings...Advanced and untick Self Protection.

Then shut down protection again from the taskbar before trying your problem installer again

4 hours ago, stapp said:

Look in Windows taskmanager to see if you can see any EAM items.

a2service.exe is the most important, as it handles protection in the background. This should stop if you shut down protection from the System Tray Icon, however sometimes it may not shut down and need to be manually stopped.

5 hours ago, JarJar said:

I'm using WIN10 64bit. Any suggestions what to look for ? Thanks

Is it possible that Windows Defender is blocking it?

Hi Arthus,

thanks for your answer. I noticed that the a2service.exe needed to be shut down manually.

But even after this the write to the registry is still blocked. And it is happening only with this specific installer.

How can I check if Windows Defender is blocking it ?

Regards

13 hours ago, JarJar said:

How can I check if Windows Defender is blocking it ?

You'd have to check the Windows Defender logs/history. I would believe that the information at the following link may help:
https://serverfault.com/a/945741/440049

Also note that Windows Defender is not the only security feature that Windows 10 has that can block software installation. SmartScreen can as well, however when it does block something it display a very obvious purple rectangle on the screen warning you that something dangerous was blocked. The way around it is to look for a white link that says something like "More info" in the notification so that you can access the option to allow whatever was blocked.