KathyJ

Screen is too large

I tried to scan my computer this morning with Emsisoft Anti-Malware Home  and the screen was so big once it opened, I couldn't find anything to click on to start the scan. I can't close it normally because it isn't showing either because of the screen size being too big. I have to close that window by using the Task Manager. I went to properties and the shortcuts are set for minimum screen and there is nothing any smaller to choose from. Last week when I ran the same scan, it displayed as it should where I can click on whatever I need to but not this week. I tried changing more settings, rebooting, and nothing has changed it back to normal.  The "disable display scaling on high DPI settings" is checked as it has always been but nothing will make it show what it needs to. Everything else is displaying as they should so why isn't this program? What is going on and how do I fix it?

Do you know your screen resolution? Also, do you know what your DPI scaling setting is currently set to?

56 minutes ago, GT500 said:

Do you know your screen resolution? Also, do you know what your DPI scaling setting is currently set to?

It is 1280x1024 and my DPI is set to 150%. Yes, that's high but at least I can see it and it's been working great before today.  I'm running Windows 7 Pro. I didn't make any changes before this started. It worked perfectly last Monday when I did my scan and all the times before then. As I stated earlier, everything else displays as it should.

Got it fixed! I uninstalled it and installed it again and that fixed it!!!!! It is showing normally now and now I can run a scan!

6 hours ago, KathyJ said:

Got it fixed! I uninstalled it and installed it again and that fixed it!!!!! It is showing normally now and now I can run a scan!

I'm glad to hear that a reinstall fixed it. If you have any further trouble, then please let me know.

1 hour ago, GT500 said:

I'm glad to hear that a reinstall fixed it. If you have any further trouble, then please let me know.

And it's still working after several updates, and Windows updates. I tried to scan each time it updated and rebooted and it opened as it should. Something like this just bugs me until I find a fix. I was hoping I wouldn't have to uninstall and install it again but at least it fixed it. I'll be sure to let you know if it starts back doing it again. Thank you for your time and trying to help me.

Screen is too large again! I received a pop-up notification a few minutes ago that a new update had been applied so I rebooted after I had read the blog. Once it had loaded, I tried to run my scan and the screen is so large I can't even see what I have it set up to scan. It was working so good until the update had applied to my original post about the screen being too big. This makes me want to go back to the version before all of this started until my license expires! I don't want to have to uninstall it again! Is there not going to be a fix for this?

If you check the icon for Emsisoft Anti-Malware, has the option to disable DPI scaling been turned back off? If so, try turning it back on, and then restart the computer (or at least log out and log back in).

13 hours ago, GT500 said:

If you check the icon for Emsisoft Anti-Malware, has the option to disable DPI scaling been turned back off? If so, try turning it back on, and then restart the computer (or at least log out and log back in).

I tried this but it didn't help. I can take drag the screen until I can see what I need to see when I do my scans, etc.

What happens if you go to C:\Program Files\Emsisoft and change the DPI settings for a2start? Note that yours probably won't have .exe on the end of the file name like in my screenshot below, as Windows hides file extensions by default.

image.png
Download Image

56 minutes ago, GT500 said:

What happens if you go to C:\Program Files\Emsisoft and change the DPI settings for a2start? Note that yours probably won't have .exe on the end of the file name like in my screenshot below, as Windows hides file extensions by default.

image.png
Download Image
Download Image

This didn't help either. In fact, astart was setup with the disable DPI scaling checked. I guess I'll have to keep dragging the windows so I can see what I'm doing.

Try the following, and let me know if that helps:

• Open Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  • Click on the little gear icon on the left side of the Emsisoft Anti-Malware window (roughly in the middle).
  • Click on Advanced in the menu at the top.
  • Scroll down to the bottom of the Advanced section, and look for Factory defaults on the left.
  • Click the Revert button to the right of where it says Factory defaults.
  • A dialog box will open that allows you to select what settings to restore.
  • You only need to select the General software settings option at the top before clicking OK.

1 hour ago, GT500 said:

Try the following, and let me know if that helps:

• Open Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  • Click on the little gear icon on the left side of the Emsisoft Anti-Malware window (roughly in the middle).
  • Click on Advanced in the menu at the top.
  • Scroll down to the bottom of the Advanced section, and look for Factory defaults on the left.
  • Click the Revert button to the right of where it says Factory defaults.
  • A dialog box will open that allows you to select what settings to restore.
  • You only need to select the General software settings option at the top before clicking OK.

I did this and then rebooted but it didn't help. If I want to see the whole screen, I still have to drag the window around to  see it all and I can't see it all at once then. 

Is it still too large if you set your DPI scaling to 100%, and then restart the computer? The Emsisoft Anti-Malware window should fit a 1024x768 resolution screen with DPI scaling set to 100%, and that's smaller than 1280x1024 so it should fit your screen as well.

15 hours ago, GT500 said:

Is it still too large if you set your DPI scaling to 100%, and then restart the computer? The Emsisoft Anti-Malware window should fit a 1024x768 resolution screen with DPI scaling set to 100%, and that's smaller than 1280x1024 so it should fit your screen as well.

I tried 100% and it fit but everything was so small that it made it hard to read. I'll just keep dragging the windows around when I need to see more and keep hoping that something fixes it. Thanks anyway.

This appears to be an issue with Windows 7. There may be a way around this, but first I need to know whether you have 32-bit Windows 7 or 64-bit Windows 7. Here's how to check:

• Hold down the Windows key on your keyboard (the one with the Windows logo on it, usually between the Ctrl and Alt keys) and tap R to open the run dialog.
  • Type control system into the field, and click the OK button.
  • Roughly in the middle, below where it says System, look to the right of System type to see if it says 32-bit Operating System or 64-bit Operating System.

5 minutes ago, GT500 said:

This appears to be an issue with Windows 7. There may be a way around this, but first I need to know whether you have 32-bit Windows 7 or 64-bit Windows 7. Here's how to check:

• Hold down the Windows key on your keyboard (the one with the Windows logo on it, usually between the Ctrl and Alt keys) and tap R to open the run dialog.
  • Type control system into the field, and click the OK button.
  • Roughly in the middle, below where it says System, look to the right of System type to see if it says 32-bit Operating System or 64-bit Operating System.

It is 64 bit. I'm not disputing your word but this program is the only one that does this. Could it still be a Windows problem when it does this with just one program? I don't know. I'm just asking and I hope you don't mind my asking.

Just now, KathyJ said:

It is 64 bit. I'm not disputing your word but this program is the only one that does this. Could it still be a Windows problem when it does this with just one program? I don't know. I'm just asking and I hope you don't mind my asking.

The issue is that the option to disable DPI scaling on a per-application basis doesn't work.

From what I'm reading, if you're able to change the setting at all (64-bit Windows 7 doesn't normally allow you to change it for 64-bit applications) then it doesn't actually do anything unless you switch your Desktop theme in your Personalize settings to one that doesn't use Aero (the Windows 7 Basic or Windows Classic themes for instance). There may also be other settings that need to be changed.

Out of curiosity, is the option for "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" grayed out for you in the Compatibility Properties for a2start sort of like it is in the following screenshot?

image.png
Download Image

16 minutes ago, GT500 said:

The issue is that the option to disable DPI scaling on a per-application basis doesn't work.

From what I'm reading, if you're able to change the setting at all (64-bit Windows 7 doesn't normally allow you to change it for 64-bit applications) then it doesn't actually do anything unless you switch your Desktop theme in your Personalize settings to one that doesn't use Aero (the Windows 7 Basic or Windows Classic themes for instance). There may also be other settings that need to be changed.

Out of curiosity, is the option for "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" grayed out for you in the Compatibility Properties for a2start sort of like it is in the following screenshot?

image.png
Download Image
Download Image

Yes it is grayed out.

Just now, KathyJ said:

Yes it is grayed out.

In that case you'll need the Application Compatibility Toolkit from Microsoft. There's a tool that comes with it called "Compatibility Administrator" that will allow you to create compatibility settings for any program you want, however it is a bit complicated to use. There's information at the following link that may help you use it to disable the DPI scaling for a any program you want:
https://superuser.com/a/1018284

The information at that link was intended for advanced users, so let me know if you need me to try to write instructions that are easier to follow.

15 minutes ago, GT500 said:

In that case you'll need the Application Compatibility Toolkit from Microsoft. There's a tool that comes with it called "Compatibility Administrator" that will allow you to create compatibility settings for any program you want, however it is a bit complicated to use. There's information at the following link that may help you use it to disable the DPI scaling for a any program you want:

The information at that link was intended for advanced users, so let me know if you need me to try to write instructions that are easier to follow.

Ok. I'll look into it, but if it's too complicated, I may just keep dragging the window around when I need to see something that isn't showing. But, thank you for your time and patience with me. I really do appreciate it!

On 4/19/2019 at 5:58 PM, GT500 said:

I spoke too soon. I thought that I would just drag the screen around until I could see what I needed to see but now, this screen is so big, there isn't room to drag it around enough. It had been working before now. Would it be too much to take you up on your offer to write instructions to use the Compatibility Administrator tool? I looked it over and some of it sounds so complicated. If you don't mind, I would really appreciate it and this way, I can print out your instructions and then follow them. If it's too much trouble, please don't do it. I hate to be so much trouble to people.

3 hours ago, KathyJ said:

Would it be too much to take you up on your offer to write instructions to use the Compatibility Administrator tool?

I just did some testing, and I wasn't able to get this option to work. I even tried manually adding the compatibility flag to the registry, and that didn't work either. When adding it to the user registry hive Windows would automatically delete it when restarting the computer, and while it wouldn't be deleted when adding it to the system registry hive it also didn't have any effect on Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like there's any way to scale the window down unless you reduce DPI globally. Windows isn't designed to allow DPI scaling on a per-application basis.

@GT500  Would using Scheduled Tasks to run something to REG ADD the relevant flags as soon as the system is booted, or maybe as the user logs on work?  I suppose it depends when the EAM GUI code actually starts to execute?

Why has it worked all of these years and then stopped when the update was applied on the date I posted the original message? I'm not having any problems with anything else. It's just this program after it updated. I guess I'm stuck with it until my subscription expires unless I uninstall it and use another program. This program has never given me any problems until this started which was April 8th. Would I loose to much security if I went back to the version I was using before April 8 and disable application updates?

12 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

@GT500  Would using Scheduled Tasks to run something to REG ADD the relevant flags as soon as the system is booted, or maybe as the user logs on work?  I suppose it depends when the EAM GUI code actually starts to execute?

I doubt that would work. User registry hives aren't loaded to HKEY_CURRENT_USER during startup, but rather only when the user logs in, so you couldn't import it on startup. I don't expect that adding it during login would have any effect, as the user would more than likely need to log out and log back in for the change to take effect, which I expect would lead to Windows deleting the registry value again rather than loading it.

11 hours ago, KathyJ said:

Why has it worked all of these years and then stopped when the update was applied on the date I posted the original message? I'm not having any problems with anything else. It's just this program after it updated. I guess I'm stuck with it until my subscription expires unless I uninstall it and use another program. This program has never given me any problems until this started which was April 8th. Would I loose to much security if I went back to the version I was using before April 8 and disable application updates?

Actually DPI scaling didn't used to work properly with Emsisoft Anti-Malware. Over the past few months we've been tweaking how Emsisoft Anti-Malware handles DPI scaling in order to better support it for screens with large resolutions that require high DPI settings (for instance 4K monitors and TV's, which have a native resolution of 3840x2160). Most companies would never expect anyone with a 1280x1024 resolution to use anything more than 100% DPI, as it would make things way too large to fit on the display.

Note that you can switch to the Delayed update feed to use an older version of Emsisoft Anti-Malware, however newer versions will eventually be pushed to the Delayed update feed and you'll end up with the same problem again. As for security, you won't lose much, as you'll still have the same database and Behavior Blocker rules, and I don't believe any of the underlying protection technologies have had any significant changes since version 2019.2.

Is this problem with the large screen going to be fixed in the next update or am I stuck with it as long as I use this program? All of these years I've used this program and I've never had this problem with it until now.

7 hours ago, KathyJ said:

Is this problem with the large screen going to be fixed in the next update or am I stuck with it as long as I use this program? All of these years I've used this program and I've never had this problem with it until now.

We generally can't say when something is going to be fixed, at least not until there's a beta that you can try that has the fix in it.