Tyler

RunSafer Question

Hi everyone,

I have a question with RunSafer in OA. That is if I runsafer a program, which is trusted by OA (like cmd.exe trusted by OA the first time installed), can the program still run with limited rights? And also everything started by the program inherit the limit?

My regards,

Tyler

The answer is yes to both questions Tyler.

More info can be seen here

http://www.online-armor.com/webhelp3/KF-RunSafer.html

Thank you, Stapp. I'd seen the web help before I posted here. Anyway thank you for your instant reply.

One more question: What's the difference between runsafer a program(trusted) and a program(untrusted)? Dose the RunSafer feature do the same magic, and the only difference is to which OA will popup a message?

My regards,

Tyler

As far as I know Tyler choosing 'run safer' for an unknown program will give the same performance as it does for trusted programs. It should give the same protection.

If you right-click on OA taskbar shield and choose OA on the web, or user area, your browser will automatically load those pages in run safer mode as added protection for the user.

• If you would use a Run Safer option with a Trusted program, then program would be launched normally but with limited rights.
  • If you would use a Run Safer option with a Not-Trusted program, then you would be asked about every action that this application wants to perform (get list of files, create an executable etc.) and if you would allow it, then this action would be launched with limited rights.

HTH

• If you would use a Run Safer option with a Trusted program, then program would be launched normally but with limited rights.
  • If you would use a Run Safer option with a Not-Trusted program, then you would be asked about every action that this application wants to perform (get list of files, create an executable etc.) and if you would allow it, then this action would be launched with limited rights.

HTH

Thank you, Barthez. That's what I'm thinking. I should run all the internet connection app with RunSafer.

My regards,

Tyler

I should run all the internet connection app with RunSafer.

Some say it's overkill to do that for some applications (like music players), but i do that anyway ;) Only problem you can encounter is the fact, that some auto-update functions may not work properly, since with Run Safer activated, application have no install rights.

Some say it's overkill to do that for some applications (like music players), but i do that anyway ;) Only problem you can encounter is the fact, that some auto-update functions may not work properly, since with Run Safer activated, application have no install rights.

I do exactly the same thing. All browsers, Outlook, and Windows Media player all run "Run Safer".

Pete