Introduction and First Question

JackHughs

Hi.

I have a small home wired LAN with a combination of XP computers, IP camera, and Surveillance DVR. One of the XP machines has been running various versions of NIS for many years and is about to be replaced. The other computers all use the built-in Windows firewall.

I've been looking for a firewall that I can use on all the XP machines and it appears that OA may be just what i want. I installed OA on a test machine yesterday evening and I was very impressed with how easy it was to install and set-up.

However, being completely new to OA, I have a few really basic questions that I would like some help with.

The first has to do with permissions.

In the Programs tab, OA has "Allow", "Ask", and "Block" options.

In the Firewall > Program Access tab, OA only has "Allow" and "Block" options.

Is the lack of an "Ask" option in the Program Access tab really meaningful? That is, If I just choose "Block", will OA alert me when a Blocked program tries to access the Internet and give me the option to allow access on a one-time basis?

Thanks

JackHughs

In advanced mode you have the option for only UNKNOWN programs to create a rule for the current session only. (it will not be remembered bij Online Armor)

Other options you can choose are to create a rule (it will not ask you again) or even trust the program.

Gerard

Is the lack of an "Ask" option in the Program Access tab really meaningful? That is, If I just choose "Block", will OA alert me when a Blocked program tries to access the Internet and give me the option to allow access on a one-time basis?

No, OA won't alert you again (or ask for a decision) if you choose "Block" in addition to "Create rule" for the program. It will just block it silently from that point on. You can just Allow or Block without creating any kind of firewall rule (in which case you will be asked when the program wants access again), however in most cases this results in repeated alerts so it isn't always practical.

The "Current session" option that Gerard explained is a better option :) and looks to be available in Standard mode as well as Advanced mode. This option is also available for Trusted programs if you have "Automatically allow Trusted programs to access the internet" unticked under Options -> Firewall. "Current session" applies until the next reboot, or until such time as OA is manually shut down.

No, OA won't alert you again (or ask for a decision) if you choose "Block" in addition to "Create rule" for the program. It will just block it silently from that point on. You can just Allow or Block without creating any kind of firewall rule (in which case you will be asked when the program wants access again), however in most cases this results in repeated alerts so it isn't always practical.

The "Current session" option that Gerard explained is a better option :) and looks to be available in Standard mode as well as Advanced mode. This option is also available for Trusted programs if you have "Automatically allow Trusted programs to access the internet" unticked under Options -> Firewall. "Current session" applies until the next reboot, or until such time as OA is manually shut down.

Hi,

Thanks to you and Gerard for the helpful responses.

I believe that you've told me that OA does exactly what I want. That is, if I Block a given Program AND do not create a Firewall rule for that Program, OA will prompt me every time that Program wants to access the internet. Repeated prompting is what I want and, for all practical purposes, works just the same as having a seperate "ASK" function available.

Gerald's "Current Session" option raises some additional questions that I'm going to think about for awhile.

JackHughs