Marshall

Cryptocurrency mining malware

Cryptocurrency miners are fairly well detected. I would believe they mostly just use pre-existing mining software, and use a trojan to sneak it onto someone's computer without their knowledge, so detecting them is usually fairly easy. Unfortunately this does mean that EAM has to detect any legitimate mining software, since it could always be bundled with malware for the purposes of using your hardware to mine for someone else's profit.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, GT500 said:

Cryptocurrency miners are fairly well detected. I would believe they mostly just use pre-existing mining software, and use a trojan to sneak it onto someone's computer without their knowledge, so detecting them is usually fairly easy. Unfortunately this does mean that EAM has to detect any legitimate mining software, since it could always be bundled with malware for the purposes of using your hardware to mine for someone else's profit.

Hello @GT500 

Tanks for your help.

On the previous Jareth' blog I read that "No Coin" browser extension is very helpful. Is this still true ?

13 hours ago, Marshall said:

On the previous Jareth' blog I read that "No Coin" browser extension is very helpful. Is this still true ?

Most ad blockers will block cryptominers as well, so specialized extensions for it aren't necessarily needed. I know uBlock Origin started blocking them almost immediately after CoinHive started to be exploited (although it appears to be one of the third-party filter lists that are enabled by default that are blocking it).

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, GT500 said:

Most ad blockers will block cryptominers as well, so specialized extensions for it aren't necessarily needed. I know uBlock Origin started blocking them almost immediately after CoinHive started to be exploited (although it appears to be one of the third-party filter lists that are enabled by default that are blocking it).

Hi @GT500 

Thanks for these explanations.