joker2008

Emisoft destroyed my desktop

Great program when I went to uninstall it because of their drivers, and keep in mind even Windows 10 to install or uninstall anything you have to be using elevated rights, I started getting repeated stop errors and now I cannot boot into my desktop. As we speak I'm making a recovery drive on my laptop in the hopes of being able to boot into safe mode and finish removing their program. I never understand and I've been in it forever and a day why anyone ever ties their software into someone's operating system level like this

What do you mean by "when I went to uninstall it because of their drivers"?    Whose drivers, and why?

Did you note down the types of stop errors?

Do you have any other antivirus or antimalware programs installed?

Emisofts disk filter drivers. Their uninstall doesn't run cleanly. Both times it ran it BSOD'd my box. Now because of their disk filter I can't do a system restore, I can't get into safe mode. Thanks EMISoft. The only way is try to find some way to boot into the system and finish the unistall and remove everything their own uninstaller couldn't. And I've seen this issue on here quite a bit

What a POS in their mind they are providing extra security by doing this but if something goes wrong with their program its now a DOS to the user by EMISoft's software.

No responsible program or software vendor should ever write code like that. Do they now have a bootable Linux program I can use to clean their software off. From what I can see emiclean or whatever it is, is only designed to work from within windows. If you're going to do what they want to do then you have to do it in a responsible manner.

Emsisoft Protection Platform is whats preventing windows from being able to boot or go into safe mode....auto repairs don't work, no safe mode, no disabling of early malware or antivirus, no disabling of drivers....nothing works

Emsisoft Protection Platform cannot stop you going into safe mode.

You should be able to access safe mode from the Automatic Repair Screen. 

Advanced Options > Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Startup Settings > Restart and select either 4 or 5.

If your software is going to suck that bad and you know the installer is garbage the least you can do is come up with a knowledge base article for people with lesser knowledge that walks a user through when you pos installer sh(*ts the bed on how to unlock their drive and on cleanup. I wonder how many people you have caused to needlessly lose data or wipe a box. Just like most of these users are going to know you need to run both clean up tools as the majority of people are on 64 bit and the 64bit tool doesn't clean the EPP service the 32bit does.

The really sad part is that my comments will probably get removed which is you lying to yourself instead of saying "Hey maybe we need to look at what we put out" and the process I am sure plenty more people will either needlessly lose their data or needlessly wipe their box. Hey at least unlike some of them I was able to figure out and it happened to me while I was in my trial period. Some of these people paid of the product and the pain and suffering they had to go through

5 hours ago, joker2008 said:

Emisofts disk filter drivers. Their uninstall doesn't run cleanly. Both times it ran it BSOD'd my box.

Normally the uninstall runs cleanly, however it is technically possible for something to prevent the removal of the disk filter driver, which causes a BSoD on startup.

You can fix the problem from the recovery mode. It's been a little while since I've needed the instructions, so I'll take a look and see if I can find them for you.

1 hour ago, joker2008 said:

The really sad part is that my comments will probably get removed ...

When I skimmed through your posts I hid the ones that were clear violations of our forum guidelines. I'm not a fan of censorship, but we do prefer that the support forums maintain at least a reasonably friendly atmosphere.

1 hour ago, joker2008 said:

... I am sure plenty more people will either needlessly lose their data or needlessly wipe their box.

Reformatting a drive and/or reinstalling an OS often isn't necessary to resolve problems like this, so it's always best to wait until you hear back from support before taking actions on your own. ;)

In my posts I stated I had went through all that. I mean the bottom line you guys really need to

1) Fix your installer and trust me I used to build application packages...msi's more than not

2) In my case I had to go through and for like 4 or 5 hours look to find what I needed to fix it. Now I was able to because I have been doing this for a long time.

Going through the forums its obvious this has happened quite a bit. Really it would maybe take a day at most to put a guide together and post it under the support website. A step by step for dummies persay just like the books. The cleanup tools are a perfect example when I was done with my manual uninstall I ran both cleanup tools. If I went by the support info that had been given out in the forums I would have only run the 64bit even though your epp component is removed by the 32bit cleanup tool. I am assuming the EPP component is 32bit just like with MS Outlook which uses both 32 and 64bit components. Basically what I would up having to do was go into recovery as it was the only thing I was able to get into. Run regedit and then delete the EPP value from the UpperFilters key but there is everything else also that needs to be done after that. So much time, effort and frustration could have been saved. Like I said I was one of the lucky ones because I know what I'm doing. I saw plenty in the forums of people losing data and wiping drives.

> I saw plenty in the forums of people losing data and wiping drives.

Do you mean the forums here, or somewhere else?  

14 minutes ago, joker2008 said:

1) Fix your installer and trust me I used to build application packages...msi's more than not

Our installer is fine. It's been a year since I needed those instructions. Issues with the eppdisk driver and its entry in UpperFilters are extremely rare.

17 minutes ago, joker2008 said:

The cleanup tools are a perfect example when I was done with my manual uninstall I ran both cleanup tools. If I went by the support info that had been given out in the forums I would have only run the 64bit even though your epp component is removed by the 32bit cleanup tool. I am assuming the EPP component is 32bit just like with MS Outlook which uses both 32 and 64bit components.

Emsiclean is run automatically during uninstall.

It should not be run manually until the computer has been restarted twice after the uninstall. Some things are scheduled for removal after reboot, which is why we recommend two reboots after an uninstall.

The 32-bit version of Emsiclean should not be run on a 64-bit computer. WoW64 will remap registry access, and the 32-bit version of Emsiclean won't detect or remove driver or service entries properly on 64-bit versions of Windows.

Emsiclean can be dangerous. Failure to use it properly could easily cause problems, such as the ones you encountered.

And unfortunately users jump on any product they can nowadays due to security concerns. I worked in cyber half the time these users have no idea what they are doing so its kinda huge to have a thorough support section. Not everyone is a senior engineer, site architect. To be honest I have my regular standby's I only tried this because I thought they missed something. It wound up being a bad patch MS put out.

And actually emsclean was run after I resolved my issues at which point yes I needed to reboot twice but that would be expected with the removal of the 32bit and 64bit components. Your installer failed on its own.

originally that was the version I thought I grabbed. I would have to look again? Does the EEK ask to install the full version when you run it. I'm not saying it was the EEK but when I ran the installer it prompted to download and run the full installer. That or I grabbed the wrong installer and I'm not sure if its a stub installer or if it just immediately goes out looking for an update.

2 minutes ago, joker2008 said:

... 32bit and 64bit components.

Emsisoft Anti-Malware doesn't install 32-bit components on 64-bit editions of Windows.

Just now, joker2008 said:

Does the EEK ask to install the full version when you run it.

When you close it, I would believe it does. It also asks you if you'd like to sign up for our newsletters.

1 minute ago, joker2008 said:

I'm not saying it was the EEK but when I ran the installer it prompted to download and run the full installer.

That's more than likely not EEK then. EEK isn't actually "installed", but rather it's bundled in a self-extracting RAR archive that automatically extracts it into a folder named "EEK" in the root of the system drive.

Just now, joker2008 said:

You may want to talk to the developers then and find out why that EPP driver was flagged as 32bit

What flagged it as 32-bit?

There was an EEK folder installed on the root of C: that I am guess the program extracted out. Saw that when I was removing stuff. Your emsiclean tool picks it up as 32bit. In fact when I ran the 64bit clean tool nothing came up for EPP

Unless somehow its get flagged as 32. I mean go ahead and test it. 32bit clean will run on 64bit Win 10 all day. Unless somehow its leading you to believe its running and executing the 32bit actually kicks off the 64bit. Even then that would still mean you have to run the tool twice because the when I ran 64bit version of emsi clean again nothing came up for EPP

EEK has its own versions of EPP, and it includes both 32-bit and 64-bit executables and drivers (there are separate bin folders for each in the EEK folder). If you had executed the 32-bit version of a2emergencykit.exe then it's possible it may have loaded its 32-bit version of EPP. Note that the versions of EPP that come bundled with EEK aren't compatible with EAM, however they're supposed to be removed once EEK is exited, and I would believe they only load when a scan is started.

3 minutes ago, joker2008 said:

32bit clean will run on 64bit Win 10 all day.

Of course it does. WoW64 makes that possible. However, just because it runs on 64-bit versions of Windows doesn't mean we intend it to be used on 64-bit versions of Windows.

what I executed were the separate emsiclean packages you have zipped up out here in the form in .7zip container.

We don't distribute anything in 7z format. There is a download in a ZIP archive that can be extracted manually to any location you want, however there is no longer an official link to that download (even though it still exists).

2 minutes ago, joker2008 said:

Understood but that is the one that was run second and that is the one that picked up EPP.

It's possible that the 64-bit EPP had already unloaded, or that it had never been loaded to begin with. With no other version of EPP running, if the 32-bit version of EEK needed EPP then it would try to load its own copy of it.

I mean I am just trying to give you some advice on the guides and the emsi clean downloads. I means its just my opinion. So I mean you guys are free to do with it what you want.

That's another thing though in support those should be available for people who do come across these issues

There are certain things we prefer to try to help people with one-on-one, and driver issues happen to be one of them.

You said, and I asked:

> I saw plenty in the forums of people losing data and wiping drives.

Do you mean the forums here, or somewhere else? 

and you replied: "Forums here.".

I read everything (in English) here, and I am amazed that you say "you saw plenty"...   I have no recent recollection of anyone reporting this problem, at least not in the English part of the forum.  How about the URLs for these "many" occurrences?    Moreover, if there were lots of these, surely you saw that Emsisoft support would have been involved?   So why go off on a rant by yourself;  why not wait for help?