JeremyNicoll

Context scan of single file hung a2service

Win 8.1 64bit, EAM 2019.5.0.9476

Every couple of weeks I run FRST64.exe, just so I have a set of its reports going back through time, for comparison with a current report, if I need it.  Today, having downloaded that file, I used File Explorer's context menu to ask EAM to scan it.  I have a 4 cpu, 8 core machine, and instead of getting a near-instant response, one cpu core went 100% busy - ie Process Hacker showed cpu at 12.5%.    After a quick look at it in PH, and restarting PH under Admin auth, I dumped a2service.    After doing that, EAM reported the scan complete.  I've since scanned an innocuous text file and also FRST64.exe again, both without a2service going mad.  I'll zip up the dump and debug logs and PM them to @GT500 .

I get this quite often - it's almost as if EAM goes to sleep and takes a while to wake up again 😁

Out of curiosity, do you still have the version of FRST64.exe that you experienced this issue while scanning?

On 6/7/2019 at 6:20 PM, JeremyNicoll said:

(b) run ok, since then.

Did it update when it ran?

> Did it update when it ran?

Not so far as I know.  I always download the newest available version immediately before running that.  It never asks if it can update or shows any sign of doing so.  Should it?

22 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

It never asks if it can update or shows any sign of doing so.  Should it?

When it updates it appears to freeze/hang for a short period of time, and then it closes and reopens, leaving the old version in a new subfolder created in the same location as FRST was executed from, so it should be fairly obvious when it updates.