Sign in to follow this  
Arto

OA blocks everything. Will not prompt

I've been running OA 4.0.0.15 (free) on my kids' computer (Windows XP SP3) for about 10 months now.

I was just installing some software, and noticed that OA did not prompt me when it detected the new program. It simply blocked it. I am logged in as an admin, the OA gui is not locked, and the option to prompt when running unkown programs is enabled. I tried unsetting, and then resetting the option, and even rebotted several times. When I launch an unknown program, I simply get the baloon from the task tray indicating that OA blocked a program (since I have that option also enabled).

I know this used to work. What could I have messed up on this machine?

Thanks;

Follow up: I just logged in using the kids' (non admin) account, and OA prompted me when I launched the unknown app. Now I'm even more confused.

Edited by Arto

I've been running OA 4.0.0.15 (free) on my kids' computer (Windows XP SP3) for about 10 months now.

I was just installing some software, and noticed that OA did not prompt me when it detected the new program. It simply blocked it. I am logged in as an admin, the OA gui is not locked, and the option to prompt when running unkown programs is enabled. I tried unsetting, and then resetting the option, and even rebotted several times. When I launch an unknown program, I simply get the baloon from the task tray indicating that OA blocked a program (since I have that option also enabled).

I know this used to work. What could I have messed up on this machine?

Thanks;

Follow up: I just logged in using the kids' (non admin) account, and OA prompted me when I launched the unknown app. Now I'm even more confused.

Hi Arto,

Try starting oaui.exe from start menu->programs->online armor or from c:\program files\online armor\.

Best regards,

Andrey.

Hi Arto,

Try starting oaui.exe from start menu->programs->online armor or from c:\program files\online armor\.

Best regards,

Andrey.

I stopped the GUI from the taskbar icon, and then restarted oaui.exe from the start menu. No change in behaviour. Still no pop-up.

Anything else I could try?

I stopped the GUI from the taskbar icon, and then restarted oaui.exe from the start menu. No change in behaviour. Still no pop-up.

Anything else I could try?

Could you please check if you can see oahlp.exe process in taskmanager?

If it's not running - try restarting it from the Online Armor folder.

+ It'd be good to check if anything blocks it from starting.

Could you please check if you can see oahlp.exe process in taskmanager?

If it's not running - try restarting it from the Online Armor folder.

+ It'd be good to check if anything blocks it from starting.

OK, I think you found something. If *I* log in after a reboot (using my account), oahlp.exe will not start. I actually get an empty popup box with Online Armor at the top, and a small x in the corner. When I click the x, the popup disappears, and then there is no oahlp.exe running. Each time I try to launch oahlp.exe manually, the same thing happens. If I log in with my kids' account first (its a non-admin account), oahlp.exe runs OK. Oven if I log out of the kids' account and log back in as myself, oahlp.exe is still running. I can also get it to start (after a reboot, and logging in as me) if I use *run as* to launch it, and enter my kids' credentials.

I am running Avast, but the entire OA folder is excluded. Plus, I completely disabled Avast, and rebooted, but same problem.

By the way, this seems to be the same thing discussed in the old forum under topic 8718 (http://support.online-armor.com/showthread.php?t=8718). That was on version 3.x, and there was no resolution.

Thanks;

OK, I think you found something. If *I* log in after a reboot (using my account), oahlp.exe will not start. I actually get an empty popup box with Online Armor at the top, and a small x in the corner. When I click the x, the popup disappears, and then there is no oahlp.exe running. Each time I try to launch oahlp.exe manually, the same thing happens. If I log in with my kids' account first (its a non-admin account), oahlp.exe runs OK. Oven if I log out of the kids' account and log back in as myself, oahlp.exe is still running. I can also get it to start (after a reboot, and logging in as me) if I use *run as* to launch it, and enter my kids' credentials.

I am running Avast, but the entire OA folder is excluded. Plus, I completely disabled Avast, and rebooted, but same problem.

By the way, this seems to be the same thing discussed in the old forum under topic 8718 (http://support.online-armor.com/showthread.php?t=8718). That was on version 3.x, and there was no resolution.

Thanks;

Hi Arto,

I'm wondering... do you have some specific programs that runs when you use your account and don't run when you use

your kids' one?

Maybe some kind of programs that manipulate hidden windows, etc?

Could you please post a screenshot of your desktop with that window showing (the one you close each time you start OA)?

Thank you in advance,

Best regards,

Andrey.

Hi Arto,

I'm wondering... do you have some specific programs that runs when you use your account and don't run when you use

your kids' one?

Maybe some kind of programs that manipulate hidden windows, etc?

Could you please post a screenshot of your desktop with that window showing (the one you close each time you start OA)?

Thank you in advance,

Best regards,

Andrey.

As far as I know I have nothing special running. OA, Avast(with OA folder excluded), and whatever Windows loads up. To be honest, the only time I log in is when the kids have a problem.

I have attached a screenshot of the window that pops up when I log in. When I close it, there is no oahlp.exe.

Thanks;

Arto

Avast(with OA folder excluded)

It's not strictly related to the topic but generally speaking I would suggest to be sure that both OA folder and subfolders are excluded in Avast! AV adding them to the exclusions list you can find in the File System Shield settings (real-time protection).

Several users tend to simply add OA to the exclusions list you can find in the general settings/options. Actually those exclusions will only be applied to on-demand/scheduled personal scans and not to the Avast! AV real-time protection, as far as I know.

:)

I have attached a screenshot of the window that pops up when I log in. When I close it, there is no oahlp.exe.

Do you have nVidia drivers by any chance? In the past there were a few reports of a window the same as this and those affected where able to resolve it by stopping nVidia processes temporarily and then starting them again.

Do you have nVidia drivers by any chance? In the past there were a few reports of a window the same as this and those affected where able to resolve it by stopping nVidia processes temporarily and then starting them again.

Amazing...

I do have nVidia drivers on this machine. Don't know why everything was working with the kids' login, and not mine, but...

Turns out there was an nVidia desktop manager feature enabled (I have no idea what it is, and frankly don't care). I disabled the feature, and I no longer have any problems with OA startup when logging in with my account.

Thanks Catprincess