Sign in to follow this  
JackHughs

OA Free - Odd Behavior

Hi.

I have OA Free installed on an older 2.4 GHz P4 machine with one gig of ram running XP Pro SP3.

Regardless of whether or not I have OA set to start at boot or set to require manual startup after boot, it takes several minutes to load. During this time, the CPU is running at 100%.

What's worse, sometimes OA will not start on the first try. If this happens when OA is set to start at boot, it freezes the machine and requires a power-down shutdown. On one occassion, I had to uninstall OA in Safe Mode to get the computer running again.

I'm now on my second OA install on this machine. Just to tilt the odds my way, I turned off both the Windows Firewall and Avast! during the OA install. It still has these start-up problems which are deal-killers for continued use of OA.

I really like the look and feel of OA compared to other firewall applications and I hope to be able work through issues such as this. Are there any known fixes to start-up problems like this?

JackHughs

Hi.

I have OA Free installed on an older 2.4 GHz P4 machine with one gig of ram running XP Pro SP3.

Regardless of whether or not I have OA set to start at boot or set to require manual startup after boot, it takes several minutes to load. During this time, the CPU is running at 100%.

What's worse, sometimes OA will not start on the first try. If this happens when OA is set to start at boot, it freezes the machine and requires a power-down shutdown. On one occassion, I had to uninstall OA in Safe Mode to get the computer running again.

I'm now on my second OA install on this machine. Just to tilt the odds my way, I turned off both the Windows Firewall and Avast! during the OA install. It still has these start-up problems which are deal-killers for continued use of OA.

I really like the look and feel of OA compared to other firewall applications and I hope to be able work through issues such as this. Are there any known fixes to start-up problems like this?

JackHughs

Which OA Free version are you running? Before OA, were you using another firewall other than windows? like Norton, for example? some firewalls need an extra step to be really removed, and can interfere with later installations otherwise.. there is a list of removal tools at http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/ if so.

Which OA Free version are you running? Before OA, were you using another firewall other than windows? like Norton, for example? some firewalls need an extra step to be really removed, and can interfere with later installations otherwise.. there is a list of removal tools at http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/ if so.

Hi.

This is an older off-lease IBM machine on which I did a complete XP re-install. As the re-install was from a hidden partiition, it did install Norton Anti Virus 2004. I then used the Symantec uninstaller to completely remove the Norton product. Since then, I've used only the XP Firewall; first with Eset NOD32 - which was subsequently uninstalled using Revo. The machine is currently protected with the latest version of Avast!.

The version of OA giving me the problem is: 4.5.1.431. I first installed OA on the IBM machine yesterday.

I also have this version of OA on a 2002 era HP laptop running XP Home SP3. I replaced the HD on this machine a few months ago and did a full XP install from the HP recovery disks. Those disks also loaded an older version of Norton AV which I uninstalled with the Symantec utility. This machine was then loaded with Avast!. I've never had any other AV or firewall product on this machine.

OA also loads slowly on this computer and uses 100% of CPU capacity while it loads. OA does not exhibit any start-up problems on this computer.

Thanks

JackHughs

Hi.

This is an older off-lease IBM machine on which I did a complete XP re-install. As the re-install was from a hidden partiition, it did install Norton Anti Virus 2004. I then used the Symantec uninstaller to completely remove the Norton product. Since then, I've used only the XP Firewall; first with Eset NOD32 - which was subsequently uninstalled using Revo. The machine is currently protected with the latest version of Avast!.

The version of OA giving me the problem is: 4.5.1.431. I first installed OA on the IBM machine yesterday.

I also have this version of OA on a 2002 era HP laptop running XP Home SP3. I replaced the HD on this machine a few months ago and did a full XP install from the HP recovery disks. Those disks also loaded an older version of Norton AV which I uninstalled with the Symantec utility. This machine was then loaded with Avast!. I've never had any other AV or firewall product on this machine.

OA also loads slowly on this computer and uses 100% of CPU capacity while it loads. OA does not exhibit any start-up problems on this computer.

Thanks

JackHughs

Does the OA history tab or log show anything? Also, be sure to add avast! to the exclusions tab to avoid any potential interference. Hopefully some of our XP users will chime in.

Try using Auslogics registry cleaner.

Even when using Norton Uninstall Tool a lot of stuff is left in the registry.

Thank you Jose.

Several persons, both on and off this forum, have suggested that the registry may still be contaminated with leftover Norton/Symantec stuff even though I've used the Norton Uninstall tools.

This may be true, but I'm not real comfortable messing with the registry; either with regedit or with commercial registry cleaners. So I might have to live with this for awhile unless someone offers a different perspective on this problem.

However, it may be possible to better define the actual problem. Right now, I have two issues. The first is random failures of OA to start at boot. That may well be a Norton legacy problem.

The second is the time it takes for OA to load once it does start. That may not be a problem at all.

To find out if my OA startup time is normal, I would like to ask the contributers here running XP to help with a brief experiment.

Would someone please go to Options > General and uncheck the box that says "Launch Online Armour at next startup." Re-boot and measure how much time it takes to fully start XP. Then, manually start OA and measure how much time it takes to fully start OA. Then re-check the "Launch Online Armor at next startup", re-boot and measure how much time it takes to fully start XP.

With this information, I can determine if my OA launch times are excessive or just normal for this application.

Thanks again.

JackHughs

I understand your reluctance about touching the registry, and you're right.

But Auslogics is a well known and safe app. Besides, it backs up your registry before it starts so you can go back to the previous settings in case something goes wrong. It's worth the try.

Jose.

P.S I have Norton pre-installed on my HP laptop. Every time I reinstall the OS I uninstall it with Norton's tool, as you did.

After that I run Auslogics and it will find 100 plus Norton/Symantec entries. You may have your issues right there.

Hi, in the past I had a similar problem - the same happened to another user as well.

It was caused by Microsoft.Net Framework 4 as far as I know.

Perhaps if you have Microsoft.Net Framework 4 on your machine along with Avast! and OA Free and your OS is Win XP Pro SP3, you would like to take a look at this thread in the old forum:

http://support.online-armor.com/showthread.php?t=14014&highlight=Microsoft.Net+Framework

(in particular post n.10)

I hope this can help somehow

Hi, in the past I had a similar problem - the same happened to another user as well.

It was caused by Microsoft.Net Framework 4 as far as I know.

Perhaps if you have Microsoft.Net Framework 4 on your machine along with Avast! and OA Free and your OS is Win XP Pro SP3, you would like to take a look at this thread in the old forum:

http://support.online-armor.com/showthread.php?t=14014&highlight=Microsoft.Net+Framework

(in particular post n.10)

I hope this can help somehow

Thanks for the pointer Nick. The IBM machine (the difficult one), does not have Net Framework 4 installed and is not likely to have it installed in the near future.

In the "wonders' never cease category", the older HP XP SP#3 Home laptop seems to have warmed up to OA after 20+ restarts over the past several days. It's quite astounding really that this machine nows starts without hesitataion and runs with no problems at all. OA and Avast! happily coexist with each other and with all installed applications. This is the behavior I had hoped for.

The IBM machine continues to struggle so I might be forced to grit my teeth and try Jose's recommended Auslogics Registry Cleaner.

Jose,if you're reading this, I asssume you recommend the free stand-alone resistry cleaner rather than the full Auslogics tool kit, yes?

JackHughs

Jose,if you're reading this, I asssume you recommend the free stand-alone resistry cleaner rather than the full Auslogics tool kit, yes?

Hi Jack.

Yes, I meant the free version.

I used it several times (mostly because of Norton) and I never had any issues. Even if it doesn't solve your problem it's worth the try. and there's always the backup option (there's always the chance of something going wrong with registry cleaners).

One last thing: there are a lot of reg cleaners that will screw up your machine; go with Auslogics. It's safe and probably the best around.

Good luck,

Jose.

Ccleaner is also pretty safe too.

Yes, but not as safe as Auslogics and not as efficient.

I only use Ccleaner to clean browsing history, temp files, etc. The reg cleaner option is still not among the best.

Jose.

Good morning.

I downloaded CCleaner onto the HP machine this morning. It's a bit daunting to the novice but I'll work on it a bit.

I'm about to download Auslogics Free Registry Cleaner to the IBM machine.

All of that notwithstanding, I really wanted to share something straight out of the "and now for something completely different" category.

While rooting around in the Auslogics website, I came across this statement:

"Good examples of reliable free registry cleaners are Auslogics Registry Cleaner and CCleaner. Both come from reputable developers, are very easy to use, and offer you to backup the registry, so that you can undo any changes if there are any problems."

Interesting, eh?

JackHughs

"Good examples of reliable free registry cleaners are Auslogics Registry Cleaner and CCleaner. Both come from reputable developers, are very easy to use, and offer you to backup the registry, so that you can undo any changes if there are any problems."

Laughs.

Ccleaner has been around for a long time. It's sort of a household name. So it's often used as a benchmark for newer players.

Both are reliable. For reg cleaner I would go with Auslogics; but since there are different opinions in this thread it's your choice. Wichever you choose you won't be wrong.

Please post how things went on,

Jose.

P.S. I'm writing on the night of December 24 so Merry Christmas to all.

Hello.

This is a quick update as to my progress with the OA startup issues. I hope to find time to post a more detailed account of my Christmas day adventures with OA but, for right now, here's the bottom line as I see it.

Both my machines are running XP SP3 but are of 2003-2004 vintage. They are, of couse, substantially less powerful and much slower than what's available now. On startup. OA uses 100% of CPU capacity on either machine. While OA is working, such as when opening a content-rich website, OA uses as much as 70% of CPU capacity - leaving very little CPU capacity available to actually load the website.

With OA turned off and the XP firewall enabled, both machines startup and run rather well for their age.

So, I believe that these older machines may simply not have the horsepower to properly run the current version of OA.

JackHughs

I promised the longer, more boring version, and here it is. But first, thanks to everyone who offered helpful suggestions as to best resolve the problem. This is a nice forum. I hope to spend more time here.

I downloaded and installed CCleaner and Auslogics Free Registry Cleaner to both the HP laptop and the IBM desktop and attempted to familiarize myself with each. As these things are, the Auslogics user interface was substantially easier for me to follow. This may not be true for everyone; we all look at life differently and CCleaner may be just right for others.

Auslogics also has a very easy to use Recovery Console, which turned out to be a very good thing since I did manage to "clean" the laptop registry such that Windows would not start in normal mode. It did boot in safe mode and, with a few clicks, Auslogics rolled-back the changes and we were once again good to go.

I found only a few references to Norton or Symantec in the registries of these machines. I guess Symantec's special uninstaller did a decent job of cleaning out the loose odds and ends.

Each computer now has a nice clean registry. As I previously mentioned, the HP laptop was woking OK and the registry cleaning didn't change anything so I focused on the IBM desktop.

After cleaning the registry, I defragged the HD and uninstalled OA. Auslogics was then put back to work to make sure that all of OA was removed.

I then disabled Avast!, reinstalled OA, and used Mike Lin's "Start-up Control Panel" to assure that no unnecessary programs or processes were allowed to start on boot.

As far as prep goes, this is the best I can do.

Unfortunately, OA still takes several minutes to start. It doesn't matter if I have OA set to start at boot or whether I disable that function and start it manually. And then, when I start IE8, it takes several minutes to load and display the homepage. The same slow startup time holds true for any application; not just IE8.

But wait - there's more.

After the first application startup, everything works reasonably well. Subsequent starts of IE8 are quick and most webpages load without undue delay.

So, once OA is started and once the first application is started, OA seems to work just fine.

The problem lies in a very slow startup for OA and a very slow startup for the first application thereafter.

I hope all this information is in some way helpful to others who visit this forum.

Good night.

JackHughs