Meri

Emsisoft Anti-Malware and SmartTVs

I'm a real fan of Hulu shows but living in Ukraine I doesn't see much of them because of georestrictions. But there's a will - there is a way, I've found how to install VPN on my Samsung SmartTV, it's not very difficult procedure. But I always think about safety and security - and I would like to install your anti-malware software altogether with VPN service. Can this become reality? And what VPN works better with Emsisoft products?

I expect that's not possible, because EAM requires Windows to be running, and what's more it might need to be Windows on amd/intel cpus.   What cpu and OS does the TV run?

• Like 1

I can't tell precisely, I've just bought this model: SAMSUNG 43" Class 4K (2160P) Ultra HD Smart LED HDR TV UN43NU6900. I've just read a very usevul article how to use VPNs with SmartTVs - https://www.wizcase.com/blog/how-to-use-a-vpn-on-smart-tv/  but I can't find anything determining are they safe for a device. Maybe I misread something, so I decided to ask for advice.

Your wizcase article says:  "Samsung TVs run on Tizen OS".    Tizen is not Windows, so EAM will not run on it. 

I can't think of any reason why a VPN would damage the TV, and that website suggests it's perfectly possible to do it.   It's probbaly not legal/ethical though, if you're planning to circumvent georestrictions or licences.  

Using a VPN to stream video on a TV presumably won't put you at risk of, for example, losing financial information.  But when people use VPNs (on eg a laptop, which can also run more general-purpose software) and then use them to connect to anything that involves payment systems (especially a bank), I wonder how one finds a VPN service one is sure is trustworthy.  After all, they work by you sending your internet traffic to them and then they send it on to somewhere else.  That sounds to me pretty similar to a man-in-the-middle attack... if one doesn't trust the service in the middle.   

4 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

Your wizcase article says:  "Samsung TVs run on Tizen OS".    Tizen is not Windows, so EAM will not run on it.

That's correct. If there are third-party Anti-Virus softwares for Samsung televisions, then you'd need to search specifically for ones that say they support Samsung Smart TV's.

Note that some VPN services do provide network-level malware protection, and while this is not 100% effective it does still help. They'll usually take over DNS settings, and at the very least will be able to block certain malicious domains via DNS filtering.