marko

Updates failing - server returned error

Updates have been failing here for the last couple of hours - the log shows 'server returned error' and 'Unable to retrieve update information from server', so I assume there's a problem with the server ?

On a related matter, the  EAM system tray icon is currently pulsating and the log shows that an update was started 15 minutes ago, but the Update status on the Overview screen isn't showing an update in progress - it just says last update 2 hrs ago - so, there is no way to cancel this current update attempt

I also notice that the log shows that it took between 20 and 25 minutes for each failed attempt to finish - should it really take this long before deciding to time out ?

No problem here in UK, just had an update.

Have you tried restarting your machine ?

I also notice that the EAM system tray icon tooltip says 'Last Update 05/08/19 11:51' (when it last updated successfully) - this is 3 hours ago, yet the EAM Overview screen shows the last Update as 2 Hrs Ago.

Have you tried a restart of your machine?

Win Updates not trying to install anything are they?

16 minutes ago, stapp said:

Have you tried a restart of your machine?

yes, doesn't make any difference, they still fail

16 minutes ago, stapp said:

Win Updates not trying to install anything are they?

no

I also tried my other machine and it can't update either

It might be your location. Mine here in UK have been coming through every hour as normal.

Any errors to see in Reliability History?

11 minutes ago, stapp said:

It might be your location. Mine here in UK have been coming through every hour as normal.

Any errors to see in Reliability History?

yeah maybe, I'm in France and the hourly updates on both my machines are failing since 4 hours ago

No errors in Reliability History - definitely a server problem imho

I just sent an email (or 3 ? as nothing seemed to happen the first couple of tries) to support via the EAM gui.

Just tried a manual check for updates - same problem - sat there for twenty minutes at 4% - log showed several files not updated, viz:

Detailed Information:

45 modules, 39903092 bytes
a2hosts.dat (198511 bytes) - not updated
a2trust.dat (378227 bytes) - not updated
a2wl.dat (880264 bytes) - not updated
Signatures\20190128.sig (14161744 bytes) - not updated
Signatures\20190805.sig (9936 bytes) - not updated

This time I was able to cancel the update, although it took 2 whole minutes for it to cancel !

1 minute ago, stapp said:

Hopefully it won't be long before support gets back to you.

yes, hopefully they'll see my email and get someone to kick the server

thanks for your help

Our CDN reported issues with timeouts and slow transfers on a server in Paris on August 5th somewhere around 15:00 UTC. They also reported it was resolved around 16:00 UTC, and was confirmed fixed around 18:00 UTC. If that's roughly the time you encountered these issues, then they were more than likely due to the problems with this server.

If you're still having issues, then let's try getting a diagnostic log. The instructions and download are available at the following link:
https://help.emsisoft.com/en/1735/how-do-i-use-the-emsisoft-diagnostic-tool/

I think the problem actually started just before 11:00 UTC as that's when my scheduled updates started failing, but, as you say, it was resolved by 16:00 UTC.

It's fine now so thanks for your reply.

19 hours ago, marko said:

This time I was able to cancel the update, although it took 2 whole minutes for it to cancel ! 

@GT500  Why would the GUI be so slow?

17 hours ago, marko said:

It's fine now so thanks for your reply.

OK. Be sure to let us know if you encounter any further issues.

13 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

@GT500  Why would the GUI be so slow?

It could have been waiting on an HTTP timeout.

20 hours ago, GT500 said:

It could have been waiting on an HTTP timeout.

Shouldn't the GUI be able to set a 'cancel' flag asynchronously from whatever the backend is doing?

4 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

Shouldn't the GUI be able to set a 'cancel' flag asynchronously from whatever the backend is doing?

It more than likely does, however the backend won't respond to it if waiting for an HTTP timeout.

13 hours ago, GT500 said:

It more than likely does, however the backend won't respond to it if waiting for an HTTP timeout.

The user only sees the GUI though.  It could say something like "Cancel acknowledged" so someone wasn't waiting two minutes for an apparent reaction to their click.  It doesn't matter to us if the backend is still waiting for something provided when it either times out or manages something, it then halts the attempted update.

13 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

The user only sees the GUI though.  It could say something like "Cancel acknowledged" so someone wasn't waiting two minutes for an apparent reaction to their click.  It doesn't matter to us if the backend is still waiting for something provided when it either times out or manages something, it then halts the attempted update.

Without debug logs, we can only assume the cause, and thus can't guarantee we can improve the functionality.