johnchart

[solved] Cannot delete EEK folder (epp.sys)

Hi,

I the EEK folder cannot be deleted because of the epp.sys file.

How to delete?

PS: the link posted here no longer works.

Thank you.

Edit:

I was able to delete the folder by:

1 - running cmd as administrator (Make sure to run cmd and not powershell. Using powershell, in my case, didn't worked);

2 - type sc stop epp and press Enter;

3 - type sc delete epp and press Enter;

4 - Restart the computer (if running Windows 10 make sure to choose "Restart" and not "Shutdown")

5 - delete the EEK folder.

15 hours ago, johnchart said:

It would be great if you guys at Emsisoft could find a way to allow the deletion of the EEK folder after the program being used. Thank you.

Normally it's possible, as the EPP driver that comes with EEK doesn't usually continue running after you close the scanner, however there are instances where it doesn't seem to stop and unregister like it's supposed to.

If you find a way to reproduce this issue, then please let us know. If we could get debug logs then it would help our developers figure out why it happens.

14 hours ago, GT500 said:

Normally it's possible, as the EPP driver that comes with EEK doesn't usually continue running after you close the scanner, however there are instances where it doesn't seem to stop and unregister like it's supposed to.

If you find a way to reproduce this issue, then please let us know. If we could get debug logs then it would help our developers figure out why it happens.

Thank you, I've already reported to support.

I've tested this on Windows 10 Pro 64 bits, version 1903. How to reproduce:

- Run EEK (accept the licence, there's no need to update the definitions);

- Close EEK;

- Try to delete C:\EEK, even after a restart.

In my computer, and also inside a VM running Windows 10, it was not possible to delete the epp.sys.

Tried to disable Windows Defender and to disable fast start-up. The result was the same.

What makes me think that this may be a more general problem, is the fact that I'm having the same results inside a VM running a clean and updated image of Windows 10 (version 1903).

Hopefully it's only on my computer.

I've confirmed the behavior you've reported, and forwarded the info to QA along with debug logs. ;)

On 8/17/2019 at 2:11 AM, GT500 said:

I've confirmed the behavior you've reported, and forwarded the info to QA along with debug logs. ;)

Great! If possible, please give some feedback here when it's solved. Thanks.

17 hours ago, johnchart said:

Great! If possible, please give some feedback here when it's solved. Thanks.

Unfortunately I probably won't be told when it's fixed.

If you'd like to see automatic notifications when new versions of our software are released, then we do have RSS feeds at the following links, however please note that the changelogs don't list every change that's been made:
Stable updates: https://blog.emsisoft.com/en/category/emsisoft-news/product-updates/feed/
Beta updates: https://blog.emsisoft.com/en/category/emsisoft-news/beta-updates/feed/

Had this same problem. Opened EEK folder, selected all inside, hit delete. Popup said file in use, can't delete, I hit skip, and about 50% of the other stuff was then deleted. Went inside the remaining folder, repeated previous delete strategy, all that was left this time was the epp.sys file. Did right click, chose SuperAntispyware Super Delete from context menu, followed directions. SAS SuperDelete said "Done", closed program. In W10 open window where epp.sys file had resided, saw a message "we're still working on it.". Closed that Explorer window, rebooted computer and all of EEK, including the epp.sys file was finally gone.

Shouldn't be this hard to remove a program. This was true across multiple desktops running W10 home and W10 pro. Haven't gotten around to deleting EEK from my laptops yet.

5 hours ago, smoke said:

Shouldn't be this hard to remove a program.

All you really need to do is run the following command in an elevated Command Prompt, and then restart the computer:

sc delete epp

After that the epp.sys file can be deleted.