Sign in to follow this  
andone

Pointless Argumentative Post

On 3/8/2018 at 1:47 AM, GT500 said:

We do tend to discourage the use of free anti-virus software. It usually lacks protection features that paid software has

You may want to reconsider this statement, as Avast! free, Bitdefender Free, KasperskyFree offer exactly the same level of protection as the paid versions only less bells and whistle .

And the detection rate of any of these 3 free anti-viruses is/was always superior to emsisoft.

So why are you even here if they are better ? OH ! I see from your past posts you don't like Emsisoft at all. So again Why are you even here ?

Go pick on Bitdefender which I had on my computers for less than a day.

15 hours ago, andone said:

You may want to reconsider this statement, as Avast! free, Bitdefender Free, KasperskyFree offer exactly the same level of protection as the paid versions only less bells and whistle .

And the detection rate of any of these 3 free anti-viruses is/was always superior to emsisoft.

First and foremost, please don't hijack someone else's thread just to start an argument.

Secondly, we recommend paid Anti-Virus over free Anti-Virus do to the fact that the vast majority of infected machines which have Anti-Virus protection are using free protection. If free Anti-Virus softwares do well in testing, then the real-world infection rates prove that the test results are invalid.

Go to BleepingComputer, GeeksToGo, TechSupportForum, Malware Removal University, or any other major online free malware removal support site and look through the logs people post there when requesting help. How often do you see free Anti-Virus in the logs versus paid Anti-Virus? How often do you see Emsisoft Anti-Malware in the logs?

BTW: A technical support forum isn't the place for an argument. It's technically a violation of our forum's terms of service. If you can keep this a civil discussion, then I will leave the topic open. If this turns into something other than a civil discussion, then it will be closed.

9 hours ago, GT500 said:

....we recommend paid Anti-Virus over free Anti-Virus do to the fact that the vast majority of infected machines which have Anti-Virus protection are using free protection

I am sorry , my intention was not to disturb the forum but just to point out that free anti viruses offer EXACTLY the same level of protection as paid anti viruses.  Please take a look at Bitdefender free, Kaspersky free.

They use absolutely the same engine and definitions; the only inconvenience is that certain options are grey out, but this has zero impact on their capability.

Another good example is Microsoft Defender , see here:

https://news.softpedia.com/news/microsoft-s-windows-defender-is-now-one-of-the-best-antivirus-apps-in-the-world-526882.shtml

" Windows Defender is now one of the leading antivirus products worldwide, according to a research conducted by the security researchers over at German institute AV-TEST. ..."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Go to BleepingComputer, GeeksToGo, TechSupportForum, Malware Removal University, or any other major online free malware removal support site and look through the logs people post there when requesting help". The reason for that is the fact that free versions do not come with support , only the paid one.

Whoever has a paid version, will get support from the vendor, that's why you do not see people with paid version of antivirus on "BleepingComputer, GeeksToGo, TechSupportForum, Malware Removal University"

They use absolutely the same engine and definitions;

We use BitDefender's engine and database as well. In BitDefender's paid product, they supplement their Anti-Virus engine with behavior blocking technology that is configured to allow them to pass testing regardless of how well their Anti-Virus engine performs.

Another good example is Microsoft Defender , see here:

https://news.softpedia.com/news/microsoft-s-windows-defender-is-now-one-of-the-best-antivirus-apps-in-the-world-526882.shtml

" Windows Defender is now one of the leading antivirus products worldwide, according to a research conducted by the security researchers over at German institute AV-TEST. ..."

That may be the opinion of reviewers, however you'd be hard pressed to find industry experts in malware analysis who share that opinion.

The reason for that is the fact that free versions do not come with support , only the paid one.

Whoever has a paid version, will get support from the vendor, that's why you do not see people with paid version of antivirus on "BleepingComputer, GeeksToGo, TechSupportForum, Malware Removal University"

I would believe that most vendors have malware removal sections on their forums these days, just like we do, and just like Malwarebytes does as well. They call it "community support" when members of the forum community answer questions rather than official support staff. Users of free Anti-Virus should be able to get the same level of support on the official forums of the company that makes their Anti-Virus that they can get on BleepingComputer.com and the others I mentioned.