Recommended Posts

Is the new Firewall status for all users, cloud connected and single users ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Network Lockdown works :lol:

Easy enough to turn back on either via EAM taskbar icon or switch in the GUI itself.

I use Windows Firewall by the way (Win 10 1903)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

16 minutes ago, stapp said:

Is the new Firewall status for all users, cloud connected and single users ?

yes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So after my little test of the network lockdown (Post 2)

I have a couple of questions.

Would a third party firewall see the disconnect as a threat?

 How would I use it to block hidden programs from accessing the internet?

Do you mean single programs at install e.g CCleaner calling out, or do you mean something else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just tried the new network lockdown feature but when I turn it on, my pc grinds to a halt - opening windows explorer, task manager, start menu, etc has severe lag to the point of being unuseable

When I finally managed to get task manager open, I notice that a2start alternates between running and not responding, every couple of seconds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marko what are you system specs, Operating system and build etc?  Are you using Windows Firewall? (so Frank doesn't have to ask  :))

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, stapp said:

Marko what are you system specs, Operating system and build etc?  Are you using Windows Firewall? (so Frank doesn't have to ask  :))

ah yes, good point - I'm running win10 x64 (1903 build 18362.295) on a Lenovo laptop (Intel i3-5005U 2Ghz processor, 8GB RAM, Intel AC 3160 wifi adaptor)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm.  With W8.1 64bit, as soon as I turn on lockdown, cpu usage for a2service climbs from its normal 0.25% (or so) to 12.5% (which is to say that core, one of 8 here, is then 100% busy).  As soon as I disable lockdown it falls to its usual low usage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, stapp said:

 How would I use it to block hidden programs from accessing the internet?

Do you mean single programs at install e.g CCleaner calling out, or do you mean something else?

By enabling, you disconnect your machine from the internet completely, except the connection(s) to Emsisoft servers. 

Hence all other running app connections are blocked.

I can imagine that some apps or security software might have issues with that.
This feature has been developed to lock out one or a group of machines from network/internet in emergency situations to stop spreading malware.


 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Frank H said:

By enabling, you disconnect your machine from the internet completely, except the connection(s) to Emsisoft servers. 

Hence all other running app connections are blocked.

I can imagine that some apps or security software might have issues with that.
This feature has been developed to lock out one or a group of machines from network/internet in emergency situations to stop spreading malware.


 

 

The tooltip on GUI doesn't give that impression. It says.... use in an malware emergency situation, OR simply block hidden programs going online.

Here is a screenshot of my EAM usage when network lockdown is in place

 

Capture.PNG
Download Image

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm, tried again a few minutes later  - this time cpu for a2service 'only' climbed to about 9.5%.   I do have a lot of Firefox tabs open at the moment and I noted, when I sorted the Process Hacker display by cpu that lots of those were showing around 5% cpu use.   Once lockdown was off again the Firefox processes show typically 0.05%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Frank H said:

I can imagine that some apps or security software might have issues with that.

The Synology Cloud Station Drive has (for some reason).

I use Synology Cloud Station Drive to sync files to my NAS. But because I don't use it all the time, I have the sync paused and the NAS is turned off. Like this, the Synology service is using less than 1% CPU. After turning the Network lockdown on, Synology service starts to freak out and uses about 18% CPU. Turning the lockdown off does not help, I have to shut down the Synology service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, marko said:

just tried the new network lockdown feature but when I turn it on, my pc grinds to a halt - opening windows explorer, task manager, start menu, etc has severe lag to the point of being unuseable

When I finally managed to get task manager open, I notice that a2start alternates between running and not responding, every couple of seconds

If there's a huge slowdown when you do non-networky things, does that imply that your EAM is trying to do an antimalware-network lookup each time some process attempts to start? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you beat me to it jeremy - I just discovered my cpu was at 100% (hence the complete slowdown), and was because I had several firefox tabs open when I turned on the network lockdown feature

if i have several tabs already open in Chrome (while firefox is not running) and then turn on Network Lockdown, my machine is just as responsive as usual

if I have firefox already open and then turn on network lockdown, my machine crawls to a halt as it has no cpu available

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.