xeon

CLOSED beta 9681

14 hours ago, xeon said:

This is not a front end firewall for windows.

Why do you say that?   According to: http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/faq.html   - the third question in:

"Windows 10 Firewall Control is based on Windows Filtering Platform (WFP), the security core of Windows10/8/7/Vista/2008/2012, completely and does not install any third party kernel drivers."

which means (to me) that a front-end is exactly what it is.

I have windows "firewall service" disabled. Works on it own.

"You can switch the Built-in Firewall ON or OFF at your option due to complete product independence."

To me that is third party.

I don't know, but I think that what that means is that the actual blocking/allowing of traffic is done in either case by the Windows Filtering Platform code.  The thing you can switch off is the MS-supplied GUI and the set of rules it maintains.   I think it means you can maintain a set of rules using MS's hard-to-use interface, or a set of rules using Sphinx's product.  But the actual power of the thing is in both cases dependent on what the filters that are built-in to Windows are capable of doing.   

Ah... I read further into the FAQ.  At the bit entitled "Leak found":

"W10FC is based on Windows Filtering Platform (WFP), security core of Windows10/8/7/Vista/2008/2012 completely. (Note: The built-in Windows10/8/7/Vista/2008/2012 firewall is based on the same security core). So any leaks detected in Windows 10 Firewall Control should be addressed to Microsoft directly probably. Windows 10 Firewall Control is not able to affect quality of the underlying core neither positively nor negatively anyway, Windows 10 Firewall Control is a user friendly front-end to WFP. "

EAM gets the Windows and 3rd party Firewall status from Windows. 

If that FW isn't recognoized as such, we cannot do much.

FRST logs and EAM debuglogs that cover a computer restart might provide details why.