15 hours ago, Batman said:

Previously, when BB was suspected in a file, there was an option to allow it. (Wait, I think this is safe.)
Has this option been deleted?

It should be shown if you move your mouse pointer over the notification.

4 hours ago, GT500 said:

It should be shown if you move your mouse pointer over the notification.

Hi Arthur

Unfortunately it doesn't show.

It did show once, but it didn't show when I tried again.

01.jpg.fae36d37f5458a9bbc719ca8c8467599.jpg
Download Image

I also mouse pointer over the notification, but it still doesn't display.

02.jpg.57eaf066c0e7b211e4332f7e1bb5880e.jpg
Download Image

When the countdown timer reaches 0s, does the file concerned get quarantined... or this (also) an example of a freezing notification?

I'm wondering why your last screenshot highlights (green arrow) the clock time.   Is it significant that in that instance the time is 2 minutes after the first?

Just in case there is a misunderstanding.

Mouse over the notification popup itself... not the notification area .

I noticed that you're logged in as an administrator. Were you previously logged in under a different account that doesn't have administrator rights, or have you always been logged in as an administrator when you noticed this issue?

5 hours ago, GT500 said:

I noticed that you're logged in as an administrator. Were you previously logged in under a different account that doesn't have administrator rights, or have you always been logged in as an administrator when you noticed this issue?

I have a user account and that is administrator.

Try the following, and let me know if that helps (feel free to export your settings first to make a backup):

1. Open Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  2. Click on Settings.
  3. Click on Advanced in the menu at the top.
  4. Scroll down to Factory defaults (second option from the bottom of the Advanced list), and click the Revert button.
  5. Select the option in the dialog for Permissions (make sure that's the only option selected), and then click OK to revert permissions back to default.

Note that the changes should take effect immediately, however you can also right-click on the Start button, go to Shut down or sign out, and select Restart from that menu in order to force the Emsisoft Protection Service to reload on startup.

5 hours ago, GT500 said:

Try the following, and let me know if that helps (feel free to export your settings first to make a backup):

2. Click on Settings.
  3. Click on Advanced in the menu at the top.
  4. Scroll down to Factory defaults (second option from the bottom of the Advanced list), and click the Revert button.
  5. Select the option in the dialog for Permissions (make sure that's the only option selected), and then click OK to revert permissions back to default.

Note that the changes should take effect immediately, however you can also right-click on the Start button, go to Shut down or sign out, and select Restart from that menu in order to force the Emsisoft Protection Service to reload on startup.

I made the changes
But the problem remains

Untitled.png.5f139eaf9162dfb3ed3352d7a59874da.png
Download Image

OK, we'll probably need some debug logs. Here's what to do:

2. Click on the little gear icon on the left side of the Emsisoft Anti-Malware window (roughly in the middle).
  3. Click Advanced in the menu at the top.
  4. Scroll to the bottom of the Advanced section, and change the option for Debug logging to Enabled for 1 day.
  5. After that, close the Emsisoft Anti-Malware window.
  6. Reproduce the issue you are having (run something that generates a Behavior Blocker notification).
  7. Once you have reproduced the issue, open Emsisoft Anti-Malware again.
  8. Click on the little icon in the lower-left (right above the question mark) that looks like little chat bubbles.
  9. Click on the button that says Send an email.
  10. Select the logs on the right that show today's dates (if you try to send too many logs, then we may not receive them).
  11. Fill in the e-mail contact form with your name, your e-mail address, and a description of what the logs are for (if possible please leave a link to the topic on the forums that the logs are related to in your message).
  12. If you have any screenshots or another file that you need to send with the logs, then you can click the Attach file button at the bottom (only one file can be attached at a time).
  13. Click on Send now at the bottom once you are ready to send the logs.

Important: Please be sure to turn debug logging back off after sending us the logs. There are some negative effects to having debug logging turned on, such as reduced performance and wasting hard drive space, and it is not recommended to leave debug logging turned on for a long period of time unless it is necessary to collect debug logs.

20 hours ago, Batman said:

Reports and logs sent to you.

I'm not finding them, so I've asked the rest of the team if someone else picked them up. If you sent them from an e-mail address other than the one your forum account is registered with, then send me a private message to let me know what address you entered when you sent them.

I haven't heard anything new about it, however I normally wouldn't unless there was either a fix that needed testing or we needed more information.

> I haven't heard anything new about it, however I normally wouldn't unless  ...

You say this quite often.  It strikes me as most peculiar.    /Surely/ any problem reported to Emsisoft gets logged somewhere, not written on the back of an envelope and stuffed under a sofa cushion?   Why on earth wouldn't you then have access to that system?   And why wouldn't the developers also record notes on fixing & testing the solution on the same system - even if it's just a list of the relevant commits?   How else do the developers track what they change, and keep on top of changes that might be in conflict with each other?   I'd expect every bug and request-for-enhancement to have its own number in such a system, and product source to include that in comments when things are changed.   I'd describe that as standard practice.  Even sole-developers do it.        

21 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

Why on earth wouldn't you then have access to that system?

I have access, however I don't generally know the issue numbers of bug reports and feature requests, which can make them difficult to find.

22 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

And why wouldn't the developers also record notes on fixing & testing the solution on the same system - even if it's just a list of the relevant commits?

Developers and QA do record notes on testing and fixes. That being said, we don't generally share internal information, and since the BTS is an internal system we don't usually share information recorded there. We also don't generally share information about changes to our products until there is a beta available for testing. This is why my answers tend to be so vague when asked about the status of bug reports or feature requests.

> I have access, however I don't generally know the issue numbers of bug reports and feature requests, which can make them difficult to find.

Really?   For reports that you have passed to QA, surely something in them should say that that info came from you.  If it didn't then the date that you passed it, or the date that you know that someone else passed the info must narrow it down.  In THIS case Batman said logs were sent on 19 Sept...

But in general, not just this case, I get the strong impression that you pass info on to QA and there's not enough information coming back to you.  QA (or whoever) should change their process so for every bit of info you pass to them, they reply to you with the ticket id (or whatever) of wherever they logged that information.   I'm not saying that subsequently I expect them to tell you when fixes etc happen, but you should be able to search based on that ticket id (or whatever) to find out what's been done already or is going to be done, about that issue.

I'm staggered that a professional software house are not already totally on top of this.  

Where I used to work, one of the teams I was in adopted new practices at one stage.  We'd thought we were doing ok before that, but we started formally discussing all the planned changes we'd (all) worked on in the previous weeks, and how implementation actually went.  Moreover we discussed what could have been done better.  Over time, we experimented with new ways of running our own team workload... and guess what?  Things improved.  It was easier to train junior staff because we had standardised procedures.  It mattered less which senior member of staff did the work for something, because we knew that everything that was a vital part of the process would definitely have been done rather than just, hopefully.  Despite all of us in theory being experts, we implemented a "one person prepares a change, someone else checks it, and - ideally - the change is implemented by one of those two people (rather than whoever was scheduled to work that weekend)" work flow.  And so the person at the sharp end at 3am Sun morning was already familiar with the details of the changes...   It didn't always work - people would be sick and someone else step in at the last moment... but the net effect was better change control.   And just as well - our team did OS support for a UK bank's mainframes. 

I'm telling you that because - although your situation is different - one of the important things we learned to do better was ... communicate better.  Planned changes were numbered.  Documentation was in a standard format (a tick-list, if you like) for certain types of change that were often done.  Cross-checks between things that might affect each other were done in a standard way.  The personn who checked that a change had been prepared properly checked that the documentation trail - change numbers, backout numbers, etc were all in sync.

In your situation, long ago, I would have complained.  If you "don't generally know the issue numbers of bug reports and feature requests," then it's time whoever runs QA gets that sorted out.

15 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

If it didn't then the date that you passed it, or the date that you know that someone else passed the info must narrow it down.

Things aren't necessarily added to the system when they're reported. Especially with bug reports, since QA may have to check into them before a bug report is created.

15 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

I'm staggered that a professional software house are not already totally on top of this.

Actually, Emsisoft is far better than others. The last company I worked for, no one would talk to the support team at all. They often wouldn't even listen when the support team tried to report bugs, and they didn't allow the support team access to their BTS. At least here the support team has someone to discuss bugs with and report bugs to. The lack of communication may seem strange, but most companies don't seem to feel that the support team should have anything to do with QA and that they don't need to know what QA or the developers are doing, so the fact that the support team here has access to the company BTS and can discuss bug reports and feature requests at all is (in my experience) far better than the norm.

> Things aren't necessarily added to the system when they're reported. Especially with bug reports, since QA may have to check into them before a bug report is created.

I can see how that might be... but maybe you could lobby QA so that they do add them ... with "unconfirmed" status?   Then everyone who needs to would know that there was a hint of a problem in a particular area, and you and they would have one place to keep track of it?

> Actually, Emsisoft is far better than others....

OMG!   Maybe I was luckier than I realised with my past employer...   Anyone technical could create problem records with as much or as little description as they liked.  They could direct it to the attention of the team they thought would be most interested (or leave it 'floating' if they had no idea who should start looking at it, in which case people who ran the 'problem management' team would make that assessment.)   In time, people from multiple teams would get involved and they'd all add information about what they'd found, what needed done, and the timescales.  Everyone could read every team's contributions.   Normally, no-one could go back and rewrite any entries to make a team or person seem to be blameless even if that's not what was first written... though I do recall once an outbreak of obscenity was removed.   One could cross-reference between related issues.  The same overall database system contained our change management stuff too, so planned changes were cross-referenced back to the related problems, and of course not a few problems were raised because of unintended effects of previous changes. 

OK, it was a bank.  They could afford to spend money on doing this properly.  And with many hundreds of technical staff there had to be somewhere to record all the details.   Also, they'd been an early adopter of computer services - with their first system in the 1960s.  They'd had plenty of time to learn that problem and change management systems needed to be good.  

14 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

... and you and they would have one place to keep track of it?

One place to keep track of everything sounds nice, however it does unfortunately lead to rather cluttered bug reports when all of QA's testing information ends up there.

14 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

OMG!   Maybe I was luckier than I realised with my past employer...   Anyone technical could create problem records with as much or as little description as they liked.  They could direct it to the attention of the team they thought would be most interested (or leave it 'floating' if they had no idea who should start looking at it, in which case people who ran the 'problem management' team would make that assessment.)   In time, people from multiple teams would get involved and they'd all add information about what they'd found, what needed done, and the timescales.  Everyone could read every team's contributions.   Normally, no-one could go back and rewrite any entries to make a team or person seem to be blameless even if that's not what was first written... though I do recall once an outbreak of obscenity was removed.   One could cross-reference between related issues.  The same overall database system contained our change management stuff too, so planned changes were cross-referenced back to the related problems, and of course not a few problems were raised because of unintended effects of previous changes.

I think it's fairly normal for BTS these days to have most of those features. The system we use can be a bit complicated, although the developers seem to like it. Granted I don't think they're usually made with QA in mind, so I think most companies use separate systems for bug reports and QA testing.

On 10/6/2019 at 3:58 AM, Batman said:

This problem persists.

We do have your debug logs, however we can't guarantee how long it will take to resolve the issue.