Dear Support,

Over the past few months, I think my computer has been frozen when Emsisoft updated or displayed a notification.
I think that occurred when notifications are displayed, the computer will freeze for a few seconds.

Which version of Windows?     How much RAM does your machine have, and what processor?   

Do you see apparent freezing in anything else?   Does this happen every time there's an update, and for every notification?  Or only when you're doing certain other things?

3 hours ago, Batman said:

Dear Support,

Over the past few months, I think my computer has been frozen when Emsisoft updated or displayed a notification.
I think that occurred when notifications are displayed, the computer will freeze for a few seconds.

If you're referring to the computer freezing momentarily when EAM has updated, then I'm pretty sure this is a widespread, and known, issue (I seem to remember one of the support staff mentioning in one of their forum posts that they want to improve this)

My machines have always (for years) 'locked up' momentarily whenever EAM is installing updated signatures - I haven't been able to determine the cause but I suspect that it uses all the available cpu resource when installing thee updates.

19 hours ago, Batman said:

It could be the Quarantine re-scan that is automatically performed after new updates are installed. Can you check and see how many files are in your Quarantine?

Also, if you'd like to try turning off the Quarantine re-scan to see if that helps, then you can find the option in the settings in the Advanced category (I would believe the default option is Always).

image.png
Download Image

There is another problem also.
When two different alarms (like "update" and "restore object from quarantine" notify) appear on the Anti-Malware side, the computer is completely frozen and the computer must be restarted.

5 hours ago, GT500 said:

Is this the same computer you're having the other notification issue on?

This problem has happened to this computer and my costumers' computers.

On 9/13/2019 at 8:05 AM, GT500 said:

It could be the Quarantine re-scan that is automatically performed after new updates are installed. Can you check and see how many files are in your Quarantine?

Also, if you'd like to try turning off the Quarantine re-scan to see if that helps, then you can find the option in the settings in the Advanced category (I would believe the default option is Always).

image.png
Download Image
Download Image

I think this problem related to "Quarantine re-scan after updates". After disabling, I no longer see the problem.

18 hours ago, Batman said:

I think this problem related to "Quarantine re-scan after updates". After disabling, I no longer see the problem.

Considering the resources required for the Quarantine re-scan, it makes sense that the computer could appear to freeze while it's running.

Does it help if you change the scanner settings to reduce the priority of scanning for better multitasking? Here's how to do that:

1. Open Emsisoft Anti-Malware
  2. Click on Scan & Clean.
  3. Click on Scanner settings in the menu at the top.
  4. Change Performance impact from "Scan with highest priority for best speed" to Reduced priority for improved multitasking.

After that, re-enable the Quarantine re-scan and let me know if you still have trouble with the computer freezing/hanging.

You can turn the Quarantine re-scan off again after you're certain whether or not reducing the scanning priority helped if you'd like to. It's only there to alert you if there were false positives, and you can run the Quarantine re-scan manually from the Quarantine list if you'd prefer that over letting it run automatically whenever updates are installed.