22Green

New version installed today now all settings blank?

Updated version from Emsisoft said new version as i've seen in the past now when trying to open security overview I get this. I have to end task to close it. How do I correct this?

PS It was working perfectly fine a day ago and I have viruses or malware on my PC.

Capture.thumb.JPG.001e5f876b9e6e438fd1b8498bb7a0ef.JPG
Download Image

Capture1.JPG
Download Image

Would this have anything to do with downloading Windows 1903? I DL'd it 2 days ago and I have a scheduled restart at the end of the week when i'm home to monitor it and install. Not sure if this could be related.

The window size is larger than the screen size. I would believe that reverting general software settings back to defaults would fix this, however I don't think you'll be able to see the settings like this, so you'll need another way to fix it.

The easiest way to do this requires restarting your computer in Safe Mode, so here's a link to instructions on how to do that (note: use Safe Mode With Networking if you will need to use the Internet, as no Internet access is possible in normal Safe Mode):
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm

Resolving this issue will require editing the "a2settings" file in the Emsisoft Anti-Malware folder. Here's the locations you can usually find the "a2settings" file at:

• C:\Program Files\Emsisoft Anti-Malware
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Emsisoft Anti-Malware

You will need to edit the "a2settings" file in Notepad (other more advanced editors can be used as well, such as Notepad++, however please do not use something such as Microsoft Word or Wordpad). The "a2settings" file should open in Notepad by default when you double-click on it, unless the file association for configuration files has been changed on your computer.

When editing it, there are lines in the "a2settings" file that will look like the following, followed by numbers:

rcNormalLeft=
rcNormalTop=
rcNormalRight=
rcNormalBottom=
rcNormalTopLeftX=
rcNormalTopLeftY=
rcNormalBottomRightX=
rcNormalBottomRightY=

If you delete those 8 lines from the "a2settings" file, save it, and then restart your computer it should cause Emsisoft Anti-Malware to appear within the normal boundaries of your screen the next time you open it.

You can also change all of the numbers after the equals ("=") signs to zeros, and that should have the same effect.

Note: This method of resolving this issue has not been tested with current versions of Emsisoft Anti-Malware, and while it should still work exactly as described here, there is also a possibility that it may not.

8 hours ago, GT500 said:

The window size is larger than the screen size. I would believe that reverting general software settings back to defaults would fix this, however I don't think you'll be able to see the settings like this, so you'll need another way to fix it.

The easiest way to do this requires restarting your computer in Safe Mode, so here's a link to instructions on how to do that (note: use Safe Mode With Networking if you will need to use the Internet, as no Internet access is possible in normal Safe Mode):
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm

Resolving this issue will require editing the "a2settings" file in the Emsisoft Anti-Malware folder. Here's the locations you can usually find the "a2settings" file at:

• C:\Program Files\Emsisoft Anti-Malware
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Emsisoft Anti-Malware

You will need to edit the "a2settings" file in Notepad (other more advanced editors can be used as well, such as Notepad++, however please do not use something such as Microsoft Word or Wordpad). The "a2settings" file should open in Notepad by default when you double-click on it, unless the file association for configuration files has been changed on your computer.

When editing it, there are lines in the "a2settings" file that will look like the following, followed by numbers:

rcNormalLeft=
rcNormalTop=
rcNormalRight=
rcNormalBottom=
rcNormalTopLeftX=
rcNormalTopLeftY=
rcNormalBottomRightX=
rcNormalBottomRightY=

If you delete those 8 lines from the "a2settings" file, save it, and then restart your computer it should cause Emsisoft Anti-Malware to appear within the normal boundaries of your screen the next time you open it.

You can also change all of the numbers after the equals ("=") signs to zeros, and that should have the same effect.

Note: This method of resolving this issue has not been tested with current versions of Emsisoft Anti-Malware, and while it should still work exactly as described here, there is also a possibility that it may not.

ok thanks i'm a PC Tech/ Sys admin by trade so I can try that. But what I don't follow is this is how the window used to open I believe. I'm using my LG 55' as my monitor for my Desktop PC. I can still see all the icons on the left side but when clicking any it does not display.

This has something to do with the Window size? and what would have changed?

Thanks

21 hours ago, 22Green said:

What is that (single horizontal line) a screenshot of?   Is it for example from Task Manager?

Is the date - nearly 500 days ago - your system's  current date, or is that associated with the version of EAM you're running?   And as that's v18 ... is that on the current 'Stable' feed?   It strikes me that it's not impossible that coding changes made in EAM since v18 was current might be required to support something in Win 10.

44 minutes ago, JeremyNicoll said:

What is that (single horizontal line) a screenshot of?   Is it for example from Task Manager?

Is the date - nearly 500 days ago - your system's  current date, or is that associated with the version of EAM you're running?   And as that's v18 ... is that on the current 'Stable' feed?   It strikes me that it's not impossible that coding changes made in EAM since v18 was current might be required to support something in Win 10.

Thats from Programs and Features in Windows 10 I took a SS to show version. (Latest version according to the pop-up window I got a few days ago saying Emsisoft had been update to a new version) I assume its the current stable feed if anyone could confirm.

The date showing 5/13/2018 It was probably originally installed then. I bought a license for the software a while back. I'd have to check my records for exact date.

Ah right.  Programs & Features only shows the version of something at the instant the oriiginal installer ran.    Some products, when they update, do update the info shown there but many don't.  On my system (which actually has EAM 2019.8.1.9715), Programs and Features shows the previous product "Emsisoft Internet Security"  v2017.7. 

You can check the feed you're on at Settings - Updates - Update Feed. 

I made a mistake when I queried the feed you were on - I meant to ask if you were on the "Delayed" feed, ie getting the oldest version.  But clearly you're either on Stable or Beta.

6 minutes ago, JeremyNicoll said:

Ah right.  Programs & Features only shows the version of something at the instant the oriiginal installer ran.    Some products, when they update, do update the info shown there but many don't.  On my system (which actually has EAM 2019.8.1.9715), Programs and Features shows the previous product "Emsisoft Internet Security"  v2017.7. 

You can check the feed you're on at Settings - Updates - Update Feed. 

I made a mistake when I queried the feed you were on - I meant to ask if you were on the "Delayed" feed, ie getting the oldest version.  But clearly you're either on Stable or Beta.

I'm on the Stable feed.

All seems well. I think 1903 needed to be installed (and thats running superb) since I DL'd it and was waiting and new version of Emsisoft came down and something got stepped on.

15 hours ago, 22Green said:

This has something to do with the Window size? and what would have changed?

It looks like an issue with Windows size. In your screenshot, the right and bottom sides of the Emsisoft Anti-Malware window are not visible, suggesting that they have somehow been moved off the edges of the screen. The lack of visible UI components in the Emsisoft Anti-Malware window suggests the same, as the UI components stay centered in the window when it is resized (they also don't scale with the window size).

11 hours ago, 22Green said:

All seems well. I think 1903 needed to be installed (and thats running superb) since I DL'd it and was waiting and new version of Emsisoft came down and something got stepped on.

1903 does tend to be a little less buggy than 1809 was, although it does seem weird that the update was all that was needed to resolve the issue. Perhaps it was resolved when Windows Update restarted the computer, since it would more than likely need to bypass Fast Startup when installing updates?

Yea maybe good question. Since the new version updates files in Program Files and or/(86x) and the new version of 1903 does the same something could have been conflicted. I appreciate the feedback. I'm glad its fixed.