andrey

WFP driver incompatibility with Emsisoft?

Hello all!

It's about the AdGuard program. A few days ago, the program was updated to version 7.2.
In this version - AdGuardAssistent does not work in any browser! (Edge, IE, Fx, Chrome).
This problem is associated (including AdGuard developers) with possible incompatibility with EAM.

Is this really so?

They recommend disabling the WFP driver. But then there is no filtering in IE and Edge ...

I had to install the previous version, 7.1 and work with it. Everything is in order here!

What is the problem? Really in incompatibility? When can I wait for corrections and from which manufacturer?

Now Windows 10 Pro x64😉

2019-09-20 22_15_00-AdGuard.jpg
Download Image

Ah, there you go!
So, AdGuard themselves are trying to fix the error and are already testing the beta version with corrections!
Thanks for the information!
I'll wait for the final release)

To answer the original question, we've seen issues with Adguard's WFP driver and Emsisoft Anti-Malware before, and we don't generally recommend using it if you can avoid it. As you pointed out, Adguard's filtering may not work with every browser, and thus the WFP driver may be required. Normally I'd recommend uBlock Origin for Microsoft Edge as a workaround, and Adblock Plus for Internet Explorer (as far as I know there are no third-party ports of uBlock Origin for Internet Explorer).

Hello!

That is, you do not recommend AdGuard?
Do you think that the included WFP driver will constantly conflict with EAM and AdGuard developers will not be able to solve the compatibility problem?
However, the previous version of AdGuard (7.1) works without any problems with the WFP driver turned on.
Is it acceptable to work with this version or with a new one, where, possibly, compatibility issues will be fixed?
Or is the WFP driver and EAM fundamentally incompatible?

22 hours ago, andrey said:

That is, you do not recommend AdGuard?

I don't recommend their WFP driver, if it can be avoided. I do tend to recommend uBlock Origin over Adguard, since Adguard has to use a man-in-the-middle attack to decrypt HTTPS traffic for ad filtering, whereas a browser extension doesn't have to do that.

If you like Adguard, then it is effective at what it does, and it's effective in cases where something like uBlock Origin couldn't be used (the Adguard mobile app for instance).

Do you think that the included WFP driver will constantly conflict with EAM and AdGuard developers will not be able to solve the compatibility problem?

I can't say for certain. Issues with Adguard are not commonly reported as far as I know. What I'm fairly certain about is that when someone does report an issue, disabling the WFP driver generally resolves the issue.

Is it acceptable to work with this version or with a new one, where, possibly, compatibility issues will be fixed?

I imagine that a newer version where the issue has been fixed would be desirable. If there are issues, then the developers behind Adguard do seem willing to at least try to resolve them.

23 hours ago, andrey said:

Or is the WFP driver and EAM fundamentally incompatible?

I haven't done any testing to attempt to establish this, and I don't recall any of our developers or the QA team saying anything about it.