I want to downgrade back to 4.0

I just upgraded to OA Free 4.5.1.431 and am not real happy, for one thing it always shows "new version available. click here to download" in the left column which is really annoying, and the constant popups when loading programs with the program guard enabled is a nightmare ( OA really never heard of Eudora??) while browsing has slowed down to a crawl with the web guard enabled. I also got constant popups every time the Oasis database was updated till I unticked participation, which I always had checked before as I want OA to learn what programs are good and bad - like Eudora, for example. Anyway, I had to disable everything except the firewall to get a functioning computer again, how can I downgrade back to version 4.0?.

I also paid for OA 4.0 ++ on my laptop, but I don't intend to pay for another year if this is what I can expect from the upgrade to 4.5..

I just upgraded to OA Free 4.5.1.431 and am not real happy, for one thing it always shows "new version available. click here to download" in the left column which is really annoying, and the constant popups when loading programs with the program guard enabled is a nightmare ( OA really never heard of Eudora??) while browsing has slowed down to a crawl with the web guard enabled.

I'm unsure why the "new version available" would be staying there but the issues with popups can likely be resolved if you could post a few examples of these popups here :) If you are using an AV with a Web Shield, it may not get along well with OA's Web Shield. The Opera browser also doesn't get along well with Web Shield. In these cases, Web Shield can be disabled in OA (a reboot may be necessary for it to take effect).

I also got constant popups every time the Oasis database was updated till I unticked participation, which I always had checked before as I want OA to learn what programs are good and bad - like Eudora, for example.

You can just disable the notifications (balloon tips), if they are bothering you, while keeping the lookups. It's under Programs -> Options -> "Notify when Online Armor contacts OASIS in realtime"

The Opera browser also doesn't get along well with Web Shield.

The Web Shield doesn't get along well with Opera ;) It's not browser duty to work with every security applications, it's security application duty to be as compliant with other software as possible. Browser duty is to serve web pages correctly. If you think that there is a specific bug in Opera browser that brakes Web Shield, then please submit it to Opera Bug Tracking System.

The Web Shield doesn't get along well with Opera ;) It's not browser duty to work with every security applications, it's security application duty to be as compliant with other software as possible. Browser duty is to serve web pages correctly. If you think that there is a specific bug in Opera browser that brakes Web Shield, then please submit it to Opera Bug Tracking System.

Many Opera users report that Opera freezes when Web Shield is enabled. I don't use Opera and so haven't personally seen the issue. I mentioned this for informational purposes only in case it was relevant to the OP's issue.