teunie

steps to decrypt back uped files?

In 2014 or something my laptop got infected with ransomware. I put all files on an external harddrive and reinstalled my system

I hoped there would be a decryption tool someday. What is the safest way to handle the harddrive with the infected files? I don't want them to infect my laptop again.

The files are more than likely encrypted, and not infected. Regardless, any modern Anti-Virus software should be able to detect a ransomware from 2014 (especially one with a behavior monitoring component, like Emsisoft Anti-Malware's Behavior Blocker).

Do you know what ransomware it was? If not, then ID Ransomware may be able to help you identify it:
https://id-ransomware.malwarehunterteam.com/

11 hours ago, teunie said:

I don't want them to infect my laptop again.

There are anti-virus programs for this. If your PC already has an antivirus, make sure that it is actual and has received the latest updates.

After that, check with it the connected drive.

You can also download and install Emsisoft Anti-Malware Home on your PC (for 30 days for free) and check the disk for malicious programs and their components.

After checking, the found malicious files will be isolated. Select the option "Place in Quarantine" and export the results to a file. Then attach them to the message.

13 hours ago, Amigo-A said:

If your PC already has an antivirus, make sure that it is actual ...

By "actual" I think he means "legitimate" or "genuine" (a warning not to rely on pirated software).

17 hours ago, GT500 said:

By "actual" I think he means "legitimate" or "genuine"

Ah, the word "actual" has many meanings, depending on the language into which it is translated.
It will be necessary to take this into account. I meant "The most modern at the moment.".

But the values, that you wrote, I also like and I agree with you. :thumbs:

• Upvote 1