Cranfield

Emsisoft slowing PC right down

Who knows?

Which version of EAM have you got?     Which browser (and what version)?      Which OS?     Are you using the browser extension?

I have the latest version, whatever that is, I think there was a big update today.

Windows 10, Edge browser , what is the browser extension ?

Still slow

Its back to normal now.

All my updates are automatic and I am fully uptodate.

When the slow effect started I checked Task Master and the CPU was running Emsisoft at 96%, nothing much else was running.

Just checked it now and its down to 0.4%.

The "slowness " lasted about an hour.

I asked as there was a Cumulative Update which came through in the last 24 hours and required a restart.

Glad to here you are back to normal now Cranfield

Glad things have improved.

> I have the latest version, whatever that is,

You can find out by clicking on "About", near the bottom right corner of the "Security Overview" screen.    Bear in mind that our latest version might not be the same as other people here are on, because (a) some of us are using "Betas" ie things that have not yet been released to everyone else, and also (b) the updates don't get released to everyone spread across the world all at the same time. 

Maybe EAM was genuinely very busy. 

Despite the date being only the 4th of the month I noticed that Windows Update is offering updates today.   One of those is a "Preview" of changes to .NET support.  If you've just installed that, it's normal for Windows to do some cpu-intensive work soon afterwards - I think it recreates indexes or cross-reference info or something, whatever "rebuilding assemblies" means...   And if that was happening there might have been lots of files being opened and EAM might have been suddenly busy.

If it was that... there's something else to say though.   Here (for W8.1), that .NET update is a "Preview" one, described in Windows Update as "optional".   You might think that it's a good idea to install optional updates as well as "important" ones... but that's not so.  In particular, the "Preview" versions of fixes are not meant to be installed by ordinary users.  Microsoft aim them at software developers so they have a chance - a month or more before everyone else gets the update - to see if these updates introduce problems.    If your version of W10 allows you to choose, you should opt out of automatic installs of Previews. 

The out of band Win Update which came through was KB4524147 and was not a preview.

It

Hi, thanks for the info, I am opted out of automatic loading of Previews in Win 10.

The Emsisoft version is 2019.9.0.9753 .

I do have the Emsisoft browser extension and its turned on.

All things are still normal, so I will assume that it was just a blip, but the length of time and the almost total paralysis of my PC was alarming me.

As I said before the only CPU user was Emsisoft at 96%, that is a bit extreme.

Thanks again.

> As I said before the only CPU user was Emsisoft at 96%, that is a bit extreme.

I'm not disagreeing.    Do you have any scheduled scans defined?

EAM taking lots of cpu is not in itself unusual - Emsisoft designed the scanner part so it uses as much spare cpu as is available.  If for example your machine has SSD(s) in it rather than spinning rust drives, I/O is very fast and thus - when doing a scan - the disks don't slow things down they way they used to do.   The question though is whether a long-running scan could have been taking place.    Does EAM's log show whether a scan (or anything else) was going on at the time?

Also, even if EAM is doing a long-running scan, one might expect the OS to give other processes, eg your browser, an equal amount of cpu time.   I don't now why that wouldn't happen.

Something else that might affect that is how many cpu cores your machine has. 

Let's try getting a log from FRST, and see if it shows the cause of the issue. You can find instructions for downloading and running FRST at the following link:
https://help.emsisoft.com/en/1738/how-do-i-run-a-scan-with-frst/

Note: When FRST checks the Windows Firewall settings, Emsisoft Anti-Malware's Behavior Blocker will quarantine it automatically. This can be avoided by clicking "Wait, I think this is safe" in the notification that is displayed while FRST is scanning.