marko

CLOSED Beta 9800 - a2start.exe APPCRASH

Hi Frank

There seems to be a problem with the latest beta - if I do a Quick Scan this works fine, but if I then do a right-click context menu scan of a file on my desktop, a2start crashes.  I've tried this a few times and it happens every time.

Procdump doesn't capture the crash but it's shown in Windows Reliability History as Emsisoft Security Centre stopped working.

I have debug logs but I can't attach them to this post for some reason - I get this:

image.png.04672a35fc35a396ba452154af8e31e1.png
Download Image

@marko

Did you zip the logs first? (you know, select them, right-click and select send to compressed zip)

If not, try that.

I have no problem with a context menu scan on a desktop file.

Is this on Win 10 1903?

1 hour ago, stapp said:

@marko

Did you zip the logs first? (you know, select them, right-click and select send to compressed zip)

yes - if you look at the screenshot above, you can see the two failed attempts to upload the file (Logs.zip)

1 hour ago, stapp said:

Is this on Win 10 1903?

yes - win 10 1903 (build 18362.449)

1 hour ago, stapp said:

I have no problem with a context menu scan on a desktop file.

well, having tested it again just now, I'm still getting the appcrash but not every time, just almost every time

If I do a quick scan, this works.  If I then scan a single-file on my desktop via right click, it works, but shows an appcrash in Reliability History.  Sometimes I need to scan two or three different single files, separately, via right-click (after doing a Quick Scan) to generate the crash.

The crash details from Reliability History show that it's something to do with a2framework.dll_unloaded

image.png.a9231e4131d8a9789814a46638c68358.png
Download Image

The final entry in the relevant debug log for a2start shows this

image.png.a05c6a5091ffc1edca48fadf5d3c6896.png
Download Image

image.png
Download Image

image.png
Download Image

@marko the error attaching the file could mean either the file is too large, or you've reached the maximum amount of megabytes for your attachment quota (or at least the file you're trying to attach is large enough to exceed that quota).

Your attachment quote is 250 MB, and you've used 146.59 MB of that quota, meaning you have 103.41 MB remaining.

20 minutes ago, GT500 said:

@marko the error attaching the file could mean either the file is too large, or you've reached the maximum amount of megabytes for your attachment quota (or at least the file you're trying to attach is large enough to exceed that quota).

Your attachment quote is 250 MB, and you've used 146.59 MB of that quota, meaning you have 103.41 MB remaining.

Thanks, I did check that, but the zip file is only 1.85MB ?

Do you have 7-Zip or WinRAR? You could try a 7z or RAR archive instead of ZIP.

7 minutes ago, marko said:

odd that it doesn't like zip files though ?

It's probably just a bug in the forum software. Hopefully it will disappear once the latest patch is installed.

3 minutes ago, GT500 said:

It's probably just a bug in the forum software. Hopefully it will disappear once the latest patch is installed.

ok, time will tell I guess - thanks for your intervention - hopefully Frank will be along later and pass the logs to the devs, unless you've already done so

34 minutes ago, Peter2150 said:

I just a right click scan in explorer of a 91gb file.  Quick with no issues.   Of course this is Win 7 pro x64

Sometimes I can scan something without issues too, but if I scan several different files, with a minute or so (or less) between each scan, I can always generate a crash in a2start - I just rebooted and scanned a folder containing 5 files via right-click and a2start crashed at the first attempt - I then rebooted again, and this time it took half a dozen scans before it generated a crash

It isn't actually obvious to the user that a2start has crashed as the scans finish normally, but when it does crash, an application error is generated and the details are visible in Event Viewer and Reliability History

4 hours ago, Peter2150 said:

I just a right click scan in explorer of a 91gb file.  Quick with no issues.   Of course this is Win 7 pro x64

Isn't the reason that it's quick, for such a large file, that EAM ignores/bypasses/skips checks of big files?

@marko we have possibly fixed your issue. its a rare issue and possibly timing related. 

i will contact you per PM to test the fix.

39 minutes ago, Frank H said:

we've just releases a new beta 9803 that fixes the issue

thanks Frank - that's definitely fixed it and it's fine now