Sign in to follow this  
dipperdolphin

Emsisoft and Malwarebytes - overkill?

Hi all,

I have Malwarebytes due to the student premium, and also Emsisoft. Is running both of them overkill? Should I only use Emsisoft?

If I am running both of them at the same time, what settings should I use in regards to realtime protection?

Thanks in advance!

8 hours ago, dipperdolphin said:

I have Malwarebytes due to the student premium, and also Emsisoft. Is running both of them overkill? Should I only use Emsisoft?

It's probably not necessary to run both, however I don't think it usually causes any problems

8 hours ago, dipperdolphin said:

If I am running both of them at the same time, what settings should I use in regards to realtime protection?

Default settings should be fine. If you do encounter performance or hanging/freezing issues, then exclusions will generally resolve them.

11 hours ago, Ken1943 said:

I believe in a layered defense.

There's nothing wrong with a layered defense, however I do like to point out that "layered defense" doesn't have to mean more than one software with real-time protection. For instance you can have a good Anti-Virus software, perhaps a third-party program for managing/monitoring the Windows Firewall, a nice hardware firewall (a router with custom firmware or a commercial firewall that comes built in to a router/gateway), etc. Some VPN services also offer malware protection built right in to the VPN, and of course there are browser extensions that can help significantly as well (uBlock Origin for instance).