Sign in to follow this  
Bundaburra

Emsisoft Anti-Malware and Macrium Reflect

I use Macrium Reflect (free version) to do regular image backups of my hard drive.  The backups go to an external 3.0 USB drive.  I am concerned about slow transmission speeds between the hard drive and the backup.

In the Macrium documentation, among other things, it says:

Antivirus software

AV software typically will scan new or modified files for viruses. This can radically slow down the imaging process.

Unfortunately, it is not always possible to turn off AV software or disabling it has no effect on the scanning behavior. Some customers have reported that they had to uninstall their AV software completely, before they saw a performance improvement.

Is this true of Emsisoft Anti-Malware, and if so can anything be done?  I have tried pausing  the EAM protection while running the backup, but as suggested above, it makes no difference.

11 hours ago, Bundaburra said:

Is this true of Emsisoft Anti-Malware ...

With the default configuration, no. That being said, we do run all disk I/O through a disk filter driver, however it shouldn't cause any noticeable I/O slowdowns.

11 hours ago, Bundaburra said:

... can anything be done?

Performance issues are usually a result of opening hooks to another running process that isn't reacting well to it. I recommend adding the folder Macrium Reflect is running from to the scanning and monitoring exclusions in Emsisoft Anti-Malware. Here's how to do that:

1. Open Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  2. Click on the little gear icon on the left side of the Emsisoft Anti-Malware window (roughly in the middle).
  3. Click on Exclusions in the menu at the top.
  4. The exclusions section contains two lists (Exclude from scanning and Exclude from monitoring). Look for the box right under where it says Exclude from scanning.
  5. Click on the Add folder button right below the Exclude from scanning box.
  6. Navigate to the folder you would like to exclude, click on it once to select it, and then click OK.
  7. Scroll down to the box under Exclude from monitoring and click the Add folder button right below that box.
  8. Navigate to the folder you would like to exclude, click on it once to select it, and then click OK.
  9. Close Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

Note: You will more than likely have to restart your computer before the exclusions take effect. If you're using Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 then right-click on the Start button, go to Shut down or sign out, and select Restart from that menu in order to bypass Fast Startup.