Peter Nowell

EEK in a flash drive = Portable

Hello

I am not very techy but want to have EEK in my flash drive.

Do I download directly to the letter of my flash drive avoiding my OS? I did not want to install in my OS. What would the steps be to make the flash drive in a an older person's language?

I am sorry to be so naive but really want a backup scanner for Windows 10. Being an 80 year old disabled vet makes it hard to do this so I would appreciate your advice.

Also, once it is installed as a portable device in the USB, do I restart and boot off the flash drive or just insert the drive and run it.

Thank you for your patience

Peter

Hello Peter,

It does not matter where you save the EEK files. If you have them on your desktop for example, you can simply copy/paste them to a flash drive. To download it, open Emsisoft Anti-Malware on any device and make sure your flash drive is plugged in. Click in the left pane on Scan and then scroll down to Emergency Kit Maker. Select the platform version (most modern computers are x64 so if you're not sure just try that) and select the location to save the files by clicking on the ... button next to "Save to:". If you want to save the files to your flash drive it's recommended to create a folder (for example named EEK) on the flash drive and use that.

Finally click the Create Emergency Kit button to start the download.

Now all you have to do is to start the scanner from the location you saved the files to. You don't need to reboot or anything and nothing will be installed. All necessary files are present in the location you selected when you created the emergency kit. If you want to remove the files later it's as easy as just deleting them (or the folder you put them in).

You can also download the emsisoft emergency kit from here (please note you will have to extract the files yourself if you do this): https://www.emsisoft.com/en/home/emergencykit/

If you have any further question about this, please let me know.

Jeremy

I owe you an apology.I really did not mean to violate protocol.

I get confused at times and make errors for which i am always apologizing. I really did not mean to do any harm. I am in treatment with meds.

Blessed Christmas

Peter

Merry Christmas to you both! :)

Peter, it's completely normal to feel a bit confused when you are new to a forum, no need to apologize for that. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

Hello

All went well installing EEK into a flash drive with a folder marked as such. The results indicated the PC is clean. 

One question please. When the scan was done a box appeared asking if I wish to protect my machine with Emisoft.

If I want to keep the scanner within the flash drive only, do I just ignore this? I was not sure what it would have meant to say yes such as installing in the computer itself instead of the flash drive.

Thank you

Hello Peter,

Good to hear everything went well. That box just is an offer to install the actual Emsisoft Anti-Malware program so the computer will be protected in real time. The emergency kit scanner only will scan a computer for malicious files, it doesn't offer any actual protection.

Yes, always use only one antivirus with real-time protection on to avoid conflicts. Windows 10 is smart enough to allow only one AV to be turned on though, so if you'd like to try the Emsisoft Anti-Malware trial, you could install it and it would automatically disable Windows Defender. Likewise if your trial were to expire, it would automatically turn on Windows Defender again.