Raynor

Gracefully migrating from EEC to Cloud Console (stress-free)

Right now, we are running EEC on Windows Server.

I want to migrate step-by step (i.e. stress-free) to the Cloud Console without
having to migrate/move all clients at once.

1) Can I create a workspace in my.emsisoft.com and start by only moving
some clients to that workspace, while most other clients still remain connected
to EEC? After creating the workspace, will the "legacy" clients  that are still connected
to EEC complain in any way, or will they just silently continue to work (and
remain connected to EEC)?

2) What happens to the license key if I create a workspace?
If I remember correctly, the key will be moved to the workspace as well.
Will that create licensing issues for the "legacy" clients still connected to EEC,
or will those clients still be able to use the now-workspace-assigned
license key without any problem?

3) Is there a way to move the clients from EEC to Cloud Console without reinstalling
the client software? (I don't have access to any client right now,
so I can't check this myself.)

Thanks for your help,
Raynor

Hi,

Migrating to ECC is completely stress-free anyway, as it's migration procedure is robust and easy.

1. Yes.
When you create a new workspace (without assigning a license) and download the small 2mb webinstaller and run it on some devices where EAM is installed, it will apply a trial licence, disconnect from EEC and connect the devices to the workspace.
By default, all new devices will be connected to the 'new computers' group, but you could also create a token per protection group and download the webinstaller from there. Devices then will be automatically assigned to that policy group.

image.thumb.png.00676048afb1bab15a27d01de5295d49.png
Download Image

If you later want to assign a license to the workspace, all connected devices will get that license applied.

2. As soon as you assign a license to a workspace, all EEC connected devices will automatically disconnect from EEC and connect to ECC -new computers' group. Users will see a dialog where they need to confirm the switch to ECC, for security reasons.

3. yes. As i explained,  there is no need  to reinstall EAM. 

Another option is to run a2start /applytoken={token} on each client, via cmdline. It has the same effect as running the webinstaller+token on each device: check if EAM is installed, if so, apply the token and connec to to the workspace, of not, download latest MSI installer, install EAM and connect to the workspace.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Frank H said:

2. As soon as you assign a license to a workspace, all EEC connected devices will automatically disconnect from EEC and connect to ECC -new computers' group. Users will see a dialog where they need to confirm the switch to ECC, for security reasons.

Thanks a lot for your detailed reply.

We have the permissions for normal users set to read-only acces (via EEC).
Will the normal client PC users be able to confirm the dialog that appears before the switchover,
or will we have to set user permissions to basic access/full access before making the switch?

On 12/28/2019 at 7:24 PM, Raynor said:

We have the permissions for normal users set to read-only acces (via EEC).
Will the normal client PC users be able to confirm the dialog that appears before the switchover,
or will we have to set user permissions to basic access/full access before making the switch?

Could I please get a reply on this one, the planned switchover date is approaching,
and I need to start preparing.

So, do I have to set user permissions to full access to enable our users to confirm the
"Switch to Cloud Console" security confirmation message you mentioned?

Thanks
Raynor

@Raynor excuse me for the delayed reply.

i suggest you test this yourself, which is a good thing anyway to gain experience and see it working, before you start migrating  your network.

You could create a temp. workspace and switch one device to it to see how it works.